More gill lice found in trout in Central Pennsylvania - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Yes let's keep stocking and spread this. As if the wildlife in PA don't have enough problems.

"The Crystal Spring hatchery has not been checked as of yet as the Fish and Boat Commission and state Department of Agriculture haggle over which is responsible."
Great bureaucracy sitting on their thumbs. Nero would be proud.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:53 PM

“We don’t know if both diseases have been in wild trout because we haven’t looked for it,” said Andy Shiels, the Fish and Boat Commission’s Bureau of Fisheries director.

“We really don’t know how widespread it is and if it has a big impact on the wild trout populations yet.”

Sounds like a good time to start looking for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you build it, they will come.

What I mean is, if there is money to be had, it will be done even if it means stocking over wild fish.

It's a good spot. Just not today.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:24 AM

stocked trout at one time also had whirling disease. stocked trout also have levels of contaminates in their system. same fish consumption advisories apply to stocked fish as they do wild fish.

gotta wonder why farm raised fish have diseases and contaminates in their system. i wouldnt eat them.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 11:16 AM

This is SUPER disturbing. Mr. Merle Good needs a good punch in the face for not getting a handle on this and the state too. Everything keeps pointing back to Crystal Springs Hatchery.

I know there was a report here last year from NW PA where Mauser found it in a VERY remote headwater Brookie stream.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 02:12 PM

Kinda like the cwd in deer. Very easy to stop, but nobody wants to be the bad guy and shutdown the businesses.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 04:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Many years ago, around 1970 my dad took me to a fee-fishing pond at Newmanstown called Crystal Clear. Later the name was changed to Arrowhead Springs. Does anyone know if this Crystal Spring Hatchery is the same place? If so. do they still have fee-fishing there?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Different place...don't know if Arrowhead is still open or not(I remember it as Crystal Lake LOL). There were a couple outfits around back in the 70+80's. Crystal Springs does/did have fee fishing.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 10:15 PM

Trout2003 beat me to it....

But yes. For them to say it's not known in wild trout is false.

Found it, documented it, reported it and spread the word about it here.

I was told it's a warmer water thing. Well...I fished a few miles of warmer water before heading up the headwater trib that flows cool all year. It was significantly cooler. The nearest stocked trout is...I don't know. Many miles away.

I'm anxious to get back there. I have a pretty solid baseline and should be able to have an idea of if/how it impacted the fish.

What made me start looking fish over and opening gill plates was because the fish were extremely lazy. Once in a while you reel one in you didn't feel...But a couple in a row I took temps and started looking at fish. I found that and was shocked. That pic isn't the worst of it. I had a few that were disgusting. I forget the percentage of fish that had it..I think it was like 30%...They didn't fight at all..Got to the point I could tell I had an infected fish before I landed it.

If it didn't spread like wildfire all should be well...If it did....Well, it'll be extremely sad to see.

That water is about as remote as it comes...I'd drink it and not think twice.

Hopefully someone figures something out before it really starts wiping out trout.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page