Can I borrow a Hook? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 126Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Can I borrow a Hook?

Every season, somebody approaches me with that one......Like they're going to repay me....

My dad used to keep a few salt water hooks in his box and when the idiots would approach him with that line, he'd hand them a 3/0 and they'd be on their way. I always laughed when he would do that....

Last edited by Blue Bird; 03-25-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 PM
The Man

I was fishing on Tionesta Creek on opening day one time. I bent over to land a fish and my container of hooks fell out of my vest and into fast moving water that was deep. Needless to say, I didn't recover them. A guy just up from me saw it happen and graciously offered me some hooks. Thanks to him I got to keep fishing that day.
Now, when anyone else asks me for some hooks, I gladly return the favor that was once done to me.
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I can understand that. I was mostly referring to the kids who come fishing with hardly any gear, maybe three hooks and a couple heavy sinkers. They quickly lose them to snags then they're out. Gets old after a while. My dad got sick of the little beggars, that's why he used to do what he did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
I can understand that. I was mostly referring to the kids who come fishing with hardly any gear, maybe three hooks and a couple heavy sinkers. They quickly lose them to snags then they're out. Gets old after a while. My dad got sick of the little beggars, that's why he used to do what he did.
Hooks are relatively cheap. Get a pack of size #22-24 midge hooks for like $2 -$3 and hand them one of those. It takes up less space than a salt water hook.
SHEDMAN25 likes this.
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 08:39 AM
The Man

Not an issue with me at all. I've shared hooks, sinkers, bait and even spinners and spoons with folks when I was catching fish and they weren't. If I can help somebody along the stream, ESPECIALLY if it's a kid, I will. Kind of a cool feeling to see somebody struggling and be able to help them if they want. The only time it's ever a competition to catch trout is when someone else makes it that way.

I had a young man approach me along Clearfield Creek last year. He actually remembered that a couple seasons earlier that I had tossed a jar of salmon eggs across the creek so him and his dad could have some. I was catching and they weren't, and wanted to know what I was using. Was nice seeing them pull a couple out before I wandered off upstream.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.

Last edited by quackmaster4; 03-26-2017 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added an example
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 08:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
That is a pretty awful thing to do. You should be ashamed.

I was bear hunting with an unfamiliar group this past year and as we were standing around waiting for the guys to re-group, an old fella came very slowly up the road. He stopped and talked for a bit and let us know he has been hunting the mountain since he was a kid, he was now 83 years old.
He wished us well and walked slowly up the road by himself.
One of the guys in the group started laughing at him and said, "Just what does that guy think he's going to do if he shoots a bear back in here?"

Both my brother and I said at the same time with the identical disbelief on our voices, "We'll help him drag it out?"

The other guy said, "I'm not wasting my day helping him."

I went from not knowing that guy at all, to instantly loathing him.
bohunr, bigguy54, Dogface and 6 others like this.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

Last edited by Fairchild #17; 03-26-2017 at 09:07 AM.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:47 AM

To be clear I have never had any problems giving hooks to someone that asks. If I am having a great day and someone asks me what fly I am using I will give them a few since I tie my own and give a few out here and there doesn't make one bit of difference to me. I hope that they have success and remember someone helping them out and return the favor in the future. I still to this day remember struggling steelhead fishing as a broke college student and asking someone what he was using since he was wildly successful. He gave me a few of his magic fly pattern and I caught several before losing the files. I remember that and try to behave accordingly to help others. If you need some hooks to give out when asked I will send you a 100 pack of #10 eagle claw baitholders for those little beggars as I would rather see them fishing than in front of the TV.
bohunr, kudu58 and Tony300wby like this.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairchild #17 View Post
That is a pretty awful thing to do. You should be ashamed.

I was bear hunting with an unfamiliar group this past year and as we were standing around waiting for the guys to re-group, an old fella came very slowly up the road. He stopped and talked for a bit and let us know he has been hunting the mountain since he was a kid, he was now 83 years old.
He wished us well and walked slowly up the road by himself.
One of the guys in the group started laughing at him and said, "Just what does that guy think he's going to do if he shoots a bear back in here?"

Both my brother and I said at the same time with the identical disbelief on our voices, "We'll help him drag it out?"

The other guy said, "I'm not wasting my day helping him."

I went from not knowing that guy at all, to instantly loathing him.
And just why is it awful, because I choose not to supply people with gear that they themselves should have on hand? I can see the occasional unlucky individual who is having a bad day, whom I have helped out in the past. However, I'm not there to be everybody's tackle store and bait shop. That's what's wrong with people, always relying on others to bail them out of a jam. This is what I love about this website, so many high and mighties. It brings a tear to my eye.....Why do I even bother.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 04:55 PM
The Man

Has nothing to do with being high and mighty, has everything to do though with being a Gentleman!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ftup View Post
Has nothing to do with being high and mighty, has everything to do though with being a Gentleman!
Well, you can be a gentlemen, and give your gear away to every schmoe that happens along with his hand out.........I'll keep mine. If that makes me "awful", then so be it.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page