2016 memorable catches - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

2016 memorable catches

I never got around to putting a full post together for my May/June trout fishing vacation or from my trips to PA in Sep and November, so I thought I would share a few of the more memorable catches.

This first one was caught on May 31st on a stocked stream that also has a healthy native population. At first I thought it was just another engorged belly like many of the trout I was catching, but then I noticed the full dorsal hump. While only 7 or 8 inches, it looked like the body of a very large brookie. I doubt if trout could ever be born with dwarfism like humans, but that's what it reminded me of.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/atta...=26394&thumb=1

The next monster speaks for itself. While not a trout, I think it speaks to just how deadly the one and only Frank Nale White bead gold spinner is. lol

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/atta...=26402&thumb=1

The last pic was one of 5 hog browns I caught on a day in early November. I had fished this small stream for the first time in Sep when water levels were the lowest I had ever seen. I landed 71 trout that day and caught glimpses of a couple that I thought were good sized trout. After the heavy rains in late Oct, I hit some great water in early November and knew I had to return. I ended up landing 5 that day that ranged from 16.5 up to 21 inches. The one pictured was in the 20 to 21 inch range, but as I was landing him in the net I got a glimpse of something shooting out of his mouth. It turned out to be a native brookie that was a little pale but still able to swim away when I released him. I struggled with whether I should count this as 1 or 2 for my daily total. I ended up with 54 that day (counting this double) and would have surpassed my Sep total but ran out of daylight.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/atta...=26410&thumb=1

I wish I would have made some time to put a full post up last June but got distracted with my impending retirement and move. I had my second 100+ day of my short spinner fishing career and a new personal best of 114. I caught 508 trout during that trip and at least half of it was spent exploring new streams or new sections of streams that I hadn't fished before. I also got to spend the whole month of November in McKean county and although most of it was spent scouting and then bear and deer hunting, I did manage several productive trout fishing trips. My hunting also produced several new locations that I will bring the rod to on future trips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GOPR0692.jpg (750.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg GOPR0479.jpg (704.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg GOPR1621.jpg (1.24 MB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:12 AM

That last brownie is HEAVY.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Here are the rest of the big browns from that day.

First one was a "Hope no one saw that" moment. After setting the hook I forgot about the overhanging branch to my left. The rod tip and line quickly got hopelessly entangled. He ran downstream in some shallow riffles while I frantically reached for my net. The rod and line was so entangled I couldn't even reach him with one arm fully outstretched to the rod and the other reaching with the net. After doing some stretching, limb pulling, and pretty much wrapping myself into the limb I was able to get him in the net, but I was far from getting myself and the rod out of the tree. It was about then that I took a look around thinking boy, hope no one saw this disaster. He ended up being the smallest of he 5 at a little under 17 inches.

The next one was just over 19 inches and posed for a few nice underwater pics just after releasing him, which as I have learned is about the only thing a GoPro is good for. Great for scuba pics and videos, but it takes horrible pics out of water.

The next few including the one in the original post all topped 20 inches. The last two pics are of the biggest one at just over 21 inches and was also the only one I didn't see in the water before catching him.

It still amazes me that you guys can land these big trout without a net (not to mention still capture good pictures). The one net problem I don't have is the hook getting caught in the net. I used to have the same thing happen with the usual cloth/nylon nets, but the rubber net completely eliminates the problem. I have never had a hook penetrate the rubber. My only problem is I like the magnetic release and have now lost 2 nets when I didn't feel them catch on something and pull free. The one they sell at Cabela's now also isn't as deep as the two I lost and a couple of these big browns were a challenge to keep in the net.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GOPR1541.jpg (771.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg GOPR1557.jpg (1.35 MB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg GOPR1567.jpg (676.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: png Capture.PNG (1.53 MB, 35 views)
File Type: png Capture2.PNG (1.82 MB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg GOPR1640.jpg (1.07 MB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 AM

I catch one of those deformed trout about every year or two. I believe most of them were stocked trout like yours.

I would have counted that one catch as two trout also as long as the little trout was able to swim away. I once hooked a little brookie that ended up getting half-swallowed by a big brown during the fight. I counted both of them since they were both alive when I landed them.

One time when fishing a little native brookie stream I thought I saw something fall off of my hook and into the dry leaves after pulling my spinner out of the water for the next cast. I investigated and found a tiny 1" native brookie in the leaves. Not much of a fight but it counted.

I like those rubber nets. I think they look good in photos, but as of yet I'm too cheap to buy one. I'm still hoping I'll find one. Let me know where you fish and I'll come looking for your lost nets.

Congratulations on your 114-trout day.

Also, congratulations on your day of catching five large browns. Assuming it was a stream open to free public angling, I consider this quite an accomplishment.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 01:58 PM

[

Also, congratulations on your day of catching five large browns. Assuming it was a stream open to free public angling, I consider this quite an accomplishment.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Catching five trout over 16 inches in one day is exceptional.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:47 PM

And hopefully that native survived! That would be a real feel good story and you wanna talk about one lucky brook trout......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page