Penns Creek Fishing Video - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Penns Creek Fishing Video

A few weeks ago I found out my camera man was off work for a week, so I made plans to have him accompany me to Penns Creek to put a little video together. Most of the footage was shot that day with a few of the release shots filmed during other various outings. The fishing wasn't fantastic, it also wasn't terrible and it was great to spend a day with my brother (TagOutInArchery). He was working mostly with my camera which was new to him and we wanted to put a more artistic touch on the day. I had trouble keeping fish hooked early in the day as is evident in the video, but I edited out the bad words! It's certainly not a perfect video, but I love the scenery and the memories of the day. So if you have 20 minutes free sometime, check it out. I can't wait for us to expand on this endeavor. I should also mention we had some fantastic underwater footage...or would have had he put the memory card in the camera...oh well, he works for peanuts!! Make sure you watch it in HD if you can. Thanks - Jason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZQZx26ct78

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Penns Creek Fishing Video

Hey, I did the best I could. My broadcasting degree was earned on studio camera's and one of the first Canon XF models from the early 2000's! Needless to say, those are a heck of a lot easier to focus than the 1/8th inch band on your camera lens! Haha!
More practice with it and my hands will work like it's all second nature.
And really? Bringing up the SD card again? I thought by my reaction on the way home, it was abundantly clear that I was pretty darn p-ed off with myself for that! But the footage that I have in my mind from what I was "seeing" as I was "getting those shots", is pretty sweet!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 11:52 PM

I enjoyed the video, particularly since I'm familiar with the creek, even though I rarely could identify where you were on the stream.

I especially like the slow-motion releasing of the trout.

I think it would be better if at the beginning you gave a one or two minute summary of where you are, what you are fishing for, what you are fishing with, the water temperature, etc. Then follow it up at the end with the results of the day. But, that's just my opinion.

Some close-ups of the trout would be nice.

Are you wearing a microphone?

Overall I enjoyed it. I know it's easier said than done.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 03:01 PM

Cool! I find it interesting to see everyones individual casting style. I've found that most people use that little flip which is very similar to what you do. The true underhand flip cast is pretty rare. I was lucky enough to learn the underhand flip as a child just by sheer chance so when I started with spinners it was second nature. I've tried that flip cast like you do and it's a mess lol. Just can't get the hand of it. Effective none the less.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 07:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I can speak from experience that his cast is VERY effective! It amazes me sometimes watching him fish and the dime size spots he can hit like he is casting into a wide open pond. We both have the same casting style (imagine that! brothers with the same cast! Haha!), but he has perfected it!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 07:12 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTroutAngler
I enjoyed the video, particularly since I'm familiar with the creek, even though I rarely could identify where you were on the stream.

I especially like the slow-motion releasing of the trout.

I think it would be better if at the beginning you gave a one or two minute summary of where you are, what you are fishing for, what you are fishing with, the water temperature, etc. Then follow it up at the end with the results of the day. But, that's just my opinion.

Some close-ups of the trout would be nice.

Are you wearing a microphone?

Overall I enjoyed it. I know it's easier said than done.
grouse isn't much of a talker! Trust me, I have given him heck for it during the past few hunting seasons. Trying to get him to stand and talk into a camera for a couple minutes would encroach on his fishing time.

We had some really awesome footage of the releases underwater! Did you miss those? (Please see "Forgot SD card" from the original post )

He was not wearing a mic. I have been trying to research some universal wireless mics to use with several different camera styles, but have come up empty thus far.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 08:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It really is interesting to watch how different people work the water considering that what I do would look vastly different from this. I too would not be able to cast like that with accuracy.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003
Cool! I find it interesting to see everyones individual casting style. I've found that most people use that little flip which is very similar to what you do. The true underhand flip cast is pretty rare. I was lucky enough to learn the underhand flip as a child just by sheer chance so when I started with spinners it was second nature. I've tried that flip cast like you do and it's a mess lol. Just can't get the hand of it. Effective none the less.
I use the true underhand flip cast on tighter streams. I really only use this type of cast on larger streams or making distance casts on smaller ones. I feel like I am competent with lots of different casts, maybe not a professor of any, but a good graduate student of them all if that makes sense. I do the same with fly fishing, they all have there place. I love to "bow-and-arrow" cast my fly on mountain brooks.

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 11:36 PM

I just went back and watched part of your video again.

There's one thing I feel I need to say to you and to any other spinner fishermen out there.

One time I was playing a nice trout up to my feet and the spinner pulled free and flew back and slammed into the lens of my polarized sunglasses. It hit so hard that it completely shattered the lens. I hate to think what would have happened had I not been wearing protection over my eyes.

I wear a pair of clear glasses for low light conditions and yellow-tinted polarized sunglasses for the rest of the time. This is so important that if I forgot my glasses I would not fish. I also would not fish with someone if they were not wearing glasses.

Don't leave home without them -- and always wear them!

Take them off only for photos.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 10:50 AM

Agree! Just 4 weeks ago I got hit on the lense pretty hard by Craig on a missed hookset. Total accident but it would have tagged me in the eye most likely. I've also had 1 deep hook into my cheek and another in my sideburn over the years which is too close for comfort.
You only get one set of eyes....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page