Trout Eating Machine? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Trout Eating Machine?

You ever fish a spot and wonder why you never catch any trout in there. I had one of those spots, and yesterday I caught this guy in there: (click HD!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGELxo_4DQ

I wonder if they eat a lot of trout over say 7"...serious question, not sarcastic.

Anyway, my brother (TagOutInArchery) went along yesterday and did some filming, so I don't have any pictures, but he got some seriously sweet video that I am putting together, including some sick shots of trout sipping my foam beetle and a few spinner strikes! That will be forthcoming when time permits.

We fished this bigger water for 4 hours and I landed 22, nothing real big, and I missed more than my fair share or had them come unbuttoned early. Then we hit a mountain stream with the fly rod and I got another 12 before we ran out of memory card space (70 GB or so). Another spectacular day on the water!

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Trout Eating Machine?

That's a big pickerel. My brother caught a smaller pickerel on a trout stream while spin fishing for trout. This happened a few weeks ago near state college.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 12:26 AM
The Man

My guess would be not many. A musky I am sure hammer legal size trout, but I don't think pickerel eat many legal trout.

Living the life one day at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 12:53 AM

If that is a 'trout' stream then I guarantee its primary diet is trout and a lot of them I'm sure. That's a big pickeral. Don't see too many of those in trout streams though. He's fortunate you caught him......I wouldn't have out him back in.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 01:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not sure of the size trout they can eat as I did not dissect the one I caught of similiar size as yours quite a few years ago. I caught mine a mile or so up from the main creek channel in a limestone feeder stream not more than 4 feet wide.

I did not care for him to be in this little trout gem, I put him in my mesh fish bag and went to the truck and got a bucket and relocated him to a neighbor's pond that was overloaded with stunted panfish.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 01:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

probably would eat anything under 7". would not want one of them in a wild trout stream.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 05:00 PM
The Man

I was at Sunfish pond 3 years ago when they were inseason stocking. Standing on the dock. I saw pickerel hammering the freshly stocked brookies!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 05:01 PM
The Man

I was at Sunfish pond in Bradford cty. 3 years ago when they were inseason stocking. Standing on the dock. I saw pickerel hammering the freshly stocked brookies!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Herons do quite the number on trout as well. I have had many trout killed by them the last couple years.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I admit the thought of keeping him ran through my mind, but I honestly don't know what the regulations/seasons are for pickerel, so I would have thrown him back regardless.

One factor ecologists use to rate the health of an ecosystem is biodiversity, so I suppose the fact that their are a variety of fish, fowl, birds of prey, insects, etc all means that the stream is healthy and can support them all. I would imagine some of those large browns eat more baby trout than a pickerel, but who knows. It's tempting to assume that predatory fish and herons eat too many fish, but in the grand scheme of things, they have been co-existing for a long time...we're the ones who put the brown and rainbow trout there in the first place, so maybe it's only fair they get a snack too. I once talked to a guy who admitted to chucking suckers in the woods when he caught them in the stream. Clearly he wasn't aware of how important sucker spawning is to trout...everything is connected.

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page