Explored a little farther upstream - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Explored a little farther upstream

Taking advantage of the narrow but heavy band of rain that fell last night, I decided to try and knock out another mile of the stream I have been exploring. I went there bright and early, but it was chocolate milk. So, I went to a stream on the fringe of the rain band to catch some wild browns. I haven't fished it yet this year, so I knew it would hot if the water level was agreeable, which it was.

I started farther up this stream that I did the last time (and only other time) I fished it so that I would get to new territory. Browns were sometimes jumping out of the water chasing the spinners.

After catching a few nice browns in the first hour, when I saw this nice waterfall hole I knew there had to be one lurking there.

And it produced...

A 13incher

Followed by a 14incher

Above the falls, the stream got much more narrow.

The trout were markedly smaller above the falls, but their numbers increased. The first hour below the big falls produced 17 wild browns, and above the falls, the subsequent 3 hours produced 22,26,and 21. My trips are usually 4 hours actual fishing time.

Here were a few of the nicest of the smaller browns up higher in the stream.

And this was my 86th and final trout from that stream.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Looking at the weather forecast when I got home, I knew that it may be a few weeks til I get a shot at the stream I originally intended to fish this morning due to a lack of rain. I hate to even mention it but I will be back in school at that time and coaching takes up my weekends so it was this evening or never since I work at my summer lawn care job tomorrow and saturday.
I drove to the stream and it was crystal clear and had dropped significantly since this morning. It was lower than I wanted it, but this its the last fishing trip there this year so I wasn't going to be picky.
If you read my last post, the unexplored portion of this stream now lies a 2 hour hike from the car. And what was likely to be a 2-3hr walk back. I parked the car at 3pm, and reached the destination at 5pm. This left me with 1.5 hours to fish and a bit over 2 hours to get back before dark.

The first trout was a nice 8"er

The extremely high gradient of this stream leaves big deep hole after big deep hole for miles. This makes it really hard to stop fishing because I always see the next beautiful spot just ahead.

The brookies up here weren't quite as large as what I have gotten used to miles downstream. I did manage two 9"ers, a few 8s, but most were in the 5-7" range.

And my last trout before I started my way back at 6:30pm was also tiny. I fished for 1.5 hours and caught 38 trout this evening. The water temp was 65 which is an all time high for this stream, especially considering how far up the watershed I was when I took it. Less than a mile remains on this stream now that I have yet to explore.

I actually like walking on all of the boulders in the stream. They are heavy enough that they don't move underfoot and I think it makes it easy walk over.

Just as I turned around to head back, and I was thinking how absolutely Isolated I was, I found this 20 yards from the stream.

I guess there are some people crazier than me. I've seen this stream when it is high in the spring, kind of scary. I cant believe people would kayak there.
I made it back to the parking lot in less than 2 hours. I alternately walked fast/jogged when there were areas of open timber along the stream. As you can see, it was dark in the hemlocks at 6:30pm so I wanted to get out there ASAP.
I ended the day with 124 trout that didn't come easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:07 AM

Re: Explored a little farther upstream

Very Nice!

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 12:20 PM

Great story!

I'll tell you, you must have unbelievable stamina to walk in as far as you did on the second stream after already fishing 4 hours on another stream earlier in the day. Do you coach track? Just curious.

I know what you mean about finding it hard to quit fishing when there is one nice hole after another.

There almost has to be an access point in the upper end of that stream for there to be a kayak that far up. I can't imagine someone carrying the kayak in for over two hours.

Sounds like you had a fine day in the wilds of Pennsylvania.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

As others have noted, that's some stamina right there! It's amazing what hardcore trout fisherman will do to find "untouched" trout. Thanks for posting.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:55 PM

I'm in pain just thinking about that day lol.

I lived in SW PA forever and can certainly say that I've never fished stream #1. That cascade would be something you would remember. Well done my man!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I ran cross country and track in college where we ran over 100 miles per week for 4 years, then after college I spent a few years training for ultramarathons. Now I just try to keep in shape by doing as much trail/woods running as possible which I often use to get me into untouched fishing and trapping spots.

Frank- from the uppermost spot where I am guessing that trout live, its about 2 miles to a road. And I still have 1 more mile above where I stopped yesterday to reach the end of the trout waters. People most likely put in there, doing a 2 mile hike with the kayak. I met people hiking through the woods with kayaks last year to a different stream in the same general area and they were hiking 3 miles.

Trout- You have fished stream 1. There's no way you haven't. However, you may not have made it up quite this far.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:26 AM

nice pics

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday - John Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page