Taking a Gamble - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Taking a Gamble

As a few have already pointed out, the streams on the eastern side of the state are starting to get real low and slow. While thinking about my options on Saturday evening, I decided on a stream that fished great for me back in June, but was then hit with historic flooding. I was curious to see what the impact of the floods were on the stream and trout populations.

I arrived stream side right as the sun was coming up. Everything looked exactly how it had when I had last fished it. First cast and nothing…. This could be a good day after all. It only took to the third or fourth cast before this beauty of a stocked brookie came to hand. The picture does not do the fish justice, but I have never seen a brookie’s belly so red before.

The next cast produced a wild brown.

And a few casts later this chubby, stocked brookie surrendered after a short battle.

The action was very consistent all upstream, which made me happy to see that this stream made it relatively unscathed from the storms.

This trout was quite interesting as it appeared his upper half was “bleached” or washed out.

As I casted my spinner to a faster moving riffle, I felt a light tapping on my spinner and set the hook figuring it was another juvenile, wild brown. As I was reaching for the trout, I then realized that it was a juvenile, rainbow trout. I don’t know enough about the watershed to know the origins of the fish, but I’m leaning towards wild.

Almost 5 minutes after I had released a potential wild rainbow, I had another rainbow attack my spinner in a deep pool.

After another half hour of intense fishing, I hit the end and hurried back to my car in search of another stream. I had a stream in mind, but I knew it would be really low and wasn’t exactly sure if fishing was permitted. When I arrived and read the area’s ‘open space’ rules, it didn’t mention anything regarding fishing. With that, I decided to roll the dice.

It was a tight, but beautiful stream. Casting was a bit challenging in most sections and the rewards were well worth the challenge.

The first pool produced a decent sized wild brown.

Although tight, the stream was never choked, which made wading upstream pretty easy.

Still, I was quite impressed with the size of some of the wild browns coming to hand.

It wasn’t long before the stream went from running through an open field to running through a densely covered forest.

When I came upon the below crevis in the stream, I had a feeling that something big was hiding in there. I was just trying to figure out how to get my spinner in the right spot.

I put the spinner perfectly next to the roots at the top of the riffle and next thing I know - fish on. He was a challenge to bring to hand as he was trying to wrap himself up in the roots. After some pressure, I was able to steer him towards me and scoop him up.

I fished for another 15 minutes before surrendering to the heat and humidity. All in all, it was a great morning to be out on the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 05:45 PM

Re: Taking a Gamble

Very nice day, great pics!

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:07 PM

Very glad to hear man. Obviously I know stream one and you're right, historic is the right term. Did you catch as many as before?? I've fished a few of the others included in that event and caught less then normal from all but still fun fishing. Glad you found positive results and those look like wild rainbows without a doubt. Nobodies stocking fingerling rainbows there.

Nice find on stream 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003
Did you catch as many as before??
I caught 5 less than before (same amount of time fishing in both outings). In all honesty, the action seemed better the second time around, but my hook sets were a bit off during the second outing. If my hooksets were on, I could have easily beaten the first outing's total. Regardless, both were great days in my book. I doubt I'll be back to this stream this year, but look forward to fishing it in future years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003
Nice find on stream 2
The stretch I fished on the second stream is not included in the Nat Repro list (neither is the section from stream one). This has lit a fire in me to search out streams in the same drainage that may not be on the Nat Repro list, but have open access. As you are aware, there are some awesome looking streams on the Nat Repro and Class A lists in that area that are Posted from top to bottom.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 12:26 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Awesome colors on that Brookie!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 12:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great pics and narrative.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:50 PM

Nice story.

I agree about the beautiful colors on that stocked brookie. That's a rare fish.

The term I use for the splotchy-colored wild brown trout is "mottled." One stream I fish has many wild browns colored like this. I see it more in the autumn so it may sometimes be related to spawning, though the one you caught certainly isn't.

Sometimes when you explore you find special things like you did on Stream #2. Some tiny streams can have some rather large trout for the size of the water. It can really help if they are not fished much, too.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:30 AM

nice pics

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday - John Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page