Lots of Trout One Day, Big Trout the Next - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Lots of Trout One Day, Big Trout the Next

The weekend started early last week for me…in a way at least. After an extended period of blissful high water I was watching creeks drop fast all last weekend and into early last week. I knew that my favorite and best stream in the state (To me at least) was going to pass through the window of ‘perfect’ and be long out of it by this the weekend so I decided to take a half day off on Tuesday and hit it.
While this stream is my favorite and my best trout catching stream I rarely get to fish there due to it being sensitive to water levels. Head to this stream when water is just a little low or a little high and you’ll never go back. From years of experience I know when it’s perfect though. I’m just not always available to be there at that time! On average I fish it once every two year. Not a good record for someone’s favorite creek. Either way, I was happy to finally get the chance this year.
As usually she didn’t disappoint although the water was a tad lower than I was hoping for. With no water gauges around it’s a crap shoot at times.

I was a little concerned when the first pool didn’t produce anything but this stream is notorious for slow starts turning fast real quick. That was the case today as pool number 3 coughed up 6 wild browns. This creek has some of the prettiest browns I can catch anywhere. Vivid red spots are the norm here.

As is spectacular scenery

It’s late but this stream was still pretty loaded up with blossoming Rohody

Even the Brookies were out enjoying the day’s festivities

But the browns stole the day and in 5 hours of fishing I handled and released 181 trout. The 36 trout/hour on the day was actually somewhat slow for this stream and I attribute to massive flash flooding that happened weeks ago. The damage was excessive and I’m positive that many trout perished in the event. Flash flooding is the most dangerous event for a trout population. It’s nothing to lose and entire year class of fish in at one shot. That may have happened here. Regardless……another great day on my favorite stream.
My wife took a new job this week, her first in 13 years, and for a nice chunk of change so I decided to take Saturday off from fishing to spend the day with her and celebrate the moment of financial freedom! It’s been a long time coming so we were both having a good time. Secretly though I was watching a particular stream periodically and decided that I would head out Sunday instead.
I wasn’t sure what the day would hold when I arrived because by now everything is low in my area. I couldn’t find an optimal small freestone stream if I tried in the east. Thankfully I have some consistent low water producers that allow me to extend my time on the water when times are tough. They don’t hold out forever but at least for this day things worked out ‘pretty good’.
As I approached the first pool under cloud cover, a pool I’d never caught a large trout from, I had a high anticipation level. I was excited to get to fish here for the first time this year. On my 3rd cast I had a big trout swipe and miss the spinner. I followed up very quickly and the trout didn’t miss this time. I started the day with a 17” wild brown!

2 casts last I tangled with a small 10” wild brown and then the very next cast, out of a deep very swift run I latched into another big trout!

This one was 18” and he had a battle scare. If this was a Great Blue it just goes to show you that they will literally kill anything. Horrible creatures. Wish you could hunt them.

2 big trout in the first 10 minutes…not a bad way to start the day!! My mind was going round and round about how epic the day was going to be but the then the sun came out hard and the next 30 troutless minutes simmered that feeling a bit. Practicing patience again I stuck it out and as usual things picked up as I progressed.
Things were still flowing nicely at least!

And all sorts of trout were coming to hand. I was catching stocked browns, wild browns, native brooks, stocked brookies, and holdover rainbows.

And then things really started to open up with the big trout when this interest greyish colored 17” brown hit my spinner.

Shortly after this 15” football of a brown took a chance….

Then this 19.5” brown came shooting off the bottom the stream to just smashed my spinner.

<a href="http://s226.photobucket.com/user/appleby2003/media/Mobile%
20Uploads/IMG_20150726_115046457_zpsrcmbe3i5.jpg.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"></a>

And it wouldn’t stop….next up was another 17” brown.

And then as I got near the end of the day I tacked on a 16” brown and this 19” holdover rainbow.

For the day I caught 7 Hogs and missed a few others.
I’ve had a great year thus far in regards to catching bigger fish. Seems like they are coming in numbers on any trip that I find them. I’m not complaining about that!
Boy did I fish a LOOOOONG way yesterday. It was so brutally hot. It was probably the most grateful I’d been all year to have my bike ditched upstream. I’m not sure how I would have fared had I had to walk that entire distance back to the truck. My back would have been a mess.
It’s a guess how things are going to shake out going forward. Hot and dry weather looks to become the norm this week. Just have to keep watching and digesting information……

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 12:16 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lots of Trout One Day, Big Trout the Next

The net is new, correct? I don't recall ever seeing you with a net before.

That grey toned trout is unbelievable. It almost looks like you photoshopped it to be black and white. Very cool and unique.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Ya the net is new this year. I decided to carry one on streams where big trout are likely. I don't use it very much unless I have a trout that I think is lightly hooked which happened twice yesterday. The big trout pic is really important to me so I was tired of losing fish last second. I'm still working out the kinks of how to use it and keep it out of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 02:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003
I'm still working out the kinks of how to use it and keep it out of the way.
When I used to carry one a few years ago, I had a terrible time keeping it from getting snagged on every little branch (even when I had it hanging on my back with a retractable cord). Granted the net was made from nylon, which seems like it catches on everything. Truth be told, I don't remember using it on a single "big" trout and haven't used it since lol.

I hope you have better luck with the rubber netting.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

I hook it to my belt pack with carbeeners and thus far i've hardly even noticed it's there while fishing. When I'm walking briskly I notice it as it bangs against my leg. At first the thought was to use it on all big fish but I found out last weekend that it's not so easy to net a big trout and then set up a tripod to take a photo while still maintaining control of everything. So this week I decided to only use it for emergency situation. It's a tradeoff but I would much perfer to carry a net then risk losing a hard earned fish over 20". They're too rare to mess around with. Now, when I fish with someone else I will use the net on every fish I plan to take a photo of. If I dont have to worry about a camera then it's all clear sailing from there.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 05:48 PM

Awesome! Those are some very nice trout!

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

love the spots on those first two browns
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 12:28 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sweet fish!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 08:13 PM

I am the same way with nets. I hate carrying it but it is a necessity when trying to land big fish and not harm then while setting up for a photo. I switched from a carabiner to a magnet this year. Definitely has been a better system.

"live and learn, and then catch fish"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice report and great fish. If I were you I'd sure keep that place as secret as possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page