fishing close to home - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

fishing close to home

I moved to the house where my wife and I live a little over two years ago and I still haven't fished the length of a stream that is only 5 minutes away. It has around 9 miles of fishable water (i think). I have spent considerable time on the bottom 5 or so miles, but the top 4 miles are very remote. I went this afternoon to knock another mile or two off of the remaining unexplored section.

To reach the point where I stopped the last time I fished it 5 weeks ago, it was a 70 minute hike. There aren't any trails so sometimes it is easiest just to walk up the stream bed with the hillsides being so steep.

This was an afternoon outing. I fished from 2-6pm, making sure I had enough time to get back out before dark. The air temp. was 71F when I started and 68F when I finished and the one water temp. I took was 53F.

I started here.

At the top of the photo the stream is only 2ft wide, but below me was a 30ft wide pool 5ft deep. It was interesting to see fluid dynamics at work. I caught 5 from this hole.

I caught 4 trout during this trip that were 2in or less.I'm sure that bodes well for the health of this stream.

I caught a couple stocked trout here too. I was really surprised to see how far they made it upstream and past some big drops.

As I usually do farther down on this stream, the native I caught up this far were on average pretty large compared to other streams I fish, and with exceptional color.

I particularly like the natives that have a darker tint. I think this may have to do with them living under a rock or ledge. I have noticed over the years the fish that I catch from under big rocks or ledges usually have that darker tint.

This was the 104th and last trout I caught today in 4 hours.

I noticed a lot of neat stuff on the 2.25hr walk back.

1. Dead fawn a few feet from the stream with coyote, bobcat, raccoon, and mink tracks within a few feet of it in the mud.

2. A huge hemlock. I check almost every hemlock I walk under for wooly adelgid. I have never seen it. I read that it has been confirmed within 50 miles of here though.

3. A lot of colorful fungus.

My flip phone camera takes decent 5.1MP pictures when it is still. But if i'm moving at all, the pictures are awful. The reason I stick with it as my camera is because it is waterproof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 06:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: fishing close to home

Great pics - enjoyed the photo tour.

two comments:

1) I use rooster tail spinners - they are getting pricey these days - like everything else. Are yiurspinners homemade - they look very simple - and I know simple often works - as evidenced by your pics and story.

2) Brookie colors - I agree with you about how the colors change in them. Under rocks, undercut banks is a factor, also their diet (e.g. if there are alot of crayfish in the part of stream, their diet affects their coloration). Also the water. In my part of the Poconos, the water is a stained tannic color and affects the fish's coloration at a certain degree.

have a good day
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:07 AM
The Man

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 11:16 AM

Very Nice, looks like a great day.

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 01:54 PM

Great post and I've said it before. SWPA has bar-none some of the biggest natives in PA. You find the right stream back there and like fishing in 1800. To this day my biggest is still from back there. 15.5" caught in probably 1992 from a stream in Somerset. I still have the picture to this day.

As for the dark color trout you are definitely correct. When I catch trout that live almost their entire existince in a dark place, mostly rock ledges, they are always very dark in color, both browns and brooks. Ones that live in full sun are 'bleached'. Both are fairly rare in color range.

Stream looks like it's starting to get low? Waters are dropping back there for the first time in over a month I see.

Good post!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 05:04 PM

That first pool looks awesome. I'd hate to have to skirt around it as I moved upstream.

I have a grid of inch markers (thread wraps) on my rod so that I can measure my trout quickly. That way there is no guessing as to the size of trout. Then I write them in my tablet so that I have an accurate record to check when I get home.

That brookie in the 7th photo is unique with so many red spots spread around.

104 in 4 hours. Not bad. Do you carry a tablet with you to write down the trout you catch or do you keep count mentally?

Trout tend to take on the darkness or lightness of where they spend the most time. There's a scientific term for it but I can't think of it right now.

That looks like a good place to film Deliverance II.

Thanks for sharing your story. Getting to those last couple miles is going to be difficult.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 06:07 PM
New Arrival

HD1969- I make the spinners modeled after the Thomas Lure and spinners that other people on this site make.

I missed a trout that came off of a nearly white large slab of bedrock on the bottom of the stream and that trout was extremely light in color, I wish I had landed it.

Frank- I count fish mentally. I've been a mental fish counter since I started fishing, with my brother and I always having friendly competitions. I'm sure I miss or add a trout every now and then, but maybe only 1 fish plus or minus each outing.
I have markings on my rod from 10-24inches, so the 2 inchers are estimates.
This stream goes through a 3rd growth forest that has been growing for 80 years since the last timber cut. So, there are some big mature trees that when combined with the steep hillsides keep it dark and ominous looking all day.

Getting to the last 2 miles will now involve a nearly 2.5hr walk to the starting point, and maybe a 4 hour walk back??haha. I'm going to have to bring a buddy for that trip.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 06:15 PM

You can't drop off a side road down in or something??

Also...off topic...but ya may wanna stick to one 'handle'. I'm sure board rules dont allow 2 handles for obvious reason. I would kill one of those accounts...I perfer Troutdoorsman. Clever name.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

There aren't any roads that come within 2 miles of the water. I've been all over maps and satellite images, theres nothing but woods.

Figured it out. My browser closed this morning for the first time in a few months and when I logged back into HPA it went to my old account which I had previously had trouble logging into causing me to make a new one.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:20 PM

If it were me......I'm not sure I'd ever get this that next 2 miles lol. Hardcore commitment right there though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page