What To Do? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

What To Do?

What To Do?

On Friday evening, July 17th, 2015, deciding where to fish on Saturday morning was a gamble. The local freestoners were high again from a hard rainstorm earlier in the week, but I had noticed on the weather radar that the rain had seemingly bypassed a valley stream that I had been itching to go to. But would it be low enough from other rainstorms?

My plan was to save this freestone stream for Sunday after the water level had more time to drop and hit the stream I had been itching to fish first thing Saturday morning.

On Saturday morning, July 18th, I awoke before my 3:45 a.m. alarm to a pounding thunderstorm. What was I going to do now?

I turned on my computer to check the radar, and much to my delight the wave of thunderstorms crossing Pennsylvania was north of my planned destination.

I arrived streamside at 5:00 a.m. after driving through hard rain to dry roads, just as the radar had shown. While walking downstream in the dark for a half hour I thought about catching lots of these.

But right before reaching the stream I began to feel the first raindrops. This wasn't supposed to happen, I thought. Equally disturbing, as I sat along the creek waiting for the sky to brighten, I noticed the flow was quite high and very cloudy. How could that be, I thought?

I began casting just as the rain picked up. Surprisingly, I began to pick up wild browns readily. But since this stream suffers from rapid urban run-off, I noticed that as the rain turned intense that the water was rising rapidly and getting much cloudier.

After 1.50 hours and 25 wild browns caught in a drenching rain, I had to kind of laugh at the situation as I implemented Plan B and headed back to my SUV.

An hour and a half later I arrived at my destination and was pleased to find a perfect water level.

The stream has some pretty low waterfalls.

A few of our state fish, the native brook trout, were caught.

But the stream holds mostly wild browns. I usually catch at least one nice-sized brownie here each visit, and today was no exception as this well-fed 14.5"er couldn't resist my White Bead Gold spinner. After 6.25 hours I tallied 118 wild trout. I believe this was my first time to top 100 on this water. For the day I had 143 trout in 7.75 hours.

Due to Saturday's heavy rain, I knew my much anticipated trip to the mountain stream in my first photo was out, so on Sunday morning I got up at 2:45 a.m. and headed to north-central Pennsylvania for a day of hopefully catching lots of native brook trout.

There's something special about being in the wilds of Pennsylvania, booting up with a whispering brook in the distance, knowing that miles of undisturbed pristine water lie ahead.

I began casting my spinner at 6:20 a.m. and tagged a tiny wild brown immediately. But that was the exception as the action was slow, not unusual for when fishing near a parking lot, even in a remote area.

A pair of 9" native brookies were caught back-to-back, and I began thinking maybe this would be the day for large native brookies since the water level was ideal.

At the end of the first hour I had just 14 trout, and when I added just 14 more in the second hour I began to wonder if I had chosen the best stream for the day. I hadn't fished this creek last year due to dry conditions, and I thought maybe this lead to the trout population being cropped. One hawg brown in the only deep hole in a quarter mile of stream can chow-down quite a few little brookies in one summer.

But I was confident the action would improve as I knew the habitat would, and by the end of four hours I had caught over 80 trout, including this spiffy 10.5" native brookie.

Forget-me-nots lined the water in places, adding color to the surroundings.

And blue vervain brightened one of several meadows I fished through as the sun beat down relentlessly. But with the 54-degree water that rose to only 57-degrees late in the outing, the air in the shade hovering over the water felt refreshingly cool.

I moseyed up the hollow unconcerned about someone jumping in front of me and disturbing the trout. That's one of the benefits of fishing far removed from civilization.

Occasionally the stream would braid into multiple channels, and not knowing which one flowed under normal conditions lead to some unproductive time.

Sometimes, though, those side channels were worth exploring.

For its size the stream has some gorgeous pools.

And it wasn't unexpected when another large native brook trout attacked my White Bead Gold spinner.

After 8.75 hours I had fished approximately three miles and had reached my normal quitting spot.

On the day, 10 little wild browns were landed out of 186 total trout.

But the story of the day was catching large native brookies (though this is not one of them). I caught twelve 9"ers, two 9.5"ers, one 10"er, and one 10.5"er.

I was very pleased as I hiked for 1.25 hours back to my SUV in humid, 82-degree air. I couldn't help but think how lucky I was to have such nice water levels to fish in late July. Hum...I think I'll be back!

- Frank Nale -

I can be contacted at [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 11:48 PM

Re: What To Do?

Sweet pics and a well told tale!

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:34 AM

Wow Frank. Impressive weekend effort there. I'm more impressed with how hard you worked to get on fish vs the numbers. You typically do quite well on your first choices and I don't think Ive ever seen you write about a 1.5 hour away plan B ha-ha. I thought I was the only one that goes to those extremes. Kudos for you on a hard work weekend of trouting around.

On another note, that is why I almost never hike downstream to start a day. Instead I park my bike upstream and fish up to it. I don't like the thought of being 30 minutes from my truck at dawn when I find out the stream is HIGH or the fishing is poor. I wanna get out fast when its not working out. The big difference is that you very much more patient than I am so I understand how that suites you well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:35 AM

Awesome brookies by the way.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good post & pics as always.

Really like how you composed the pictures of the brown and brook with the foaming water in the background

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

You're certainly the innovator when it comes to spinner fishing for trout, but you seem to be setting the bar real high over and over with the pictures in your posts. Very impressive!

I'm glad that you've taken to posting weekly posts instead of the annual posts. Keep 'em coming!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 02:56 AM

What to do? Eat them all.

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003
Wow Frank. Impressive weekend effort there. I'm more impressed with how hard you worked to get on fish vs. the numbers. You typically do quite well on your first choices and I don't think I've ever seen you write about a 1.5 hour away plan B ha-ha. I thought I was the only one that goes to those extremes. Kudos for you on a hard work weekend of trouting around.

On another note, that is why I almost never hike downstream to start a day. Instead I park my bike upstream and fish up to it. I don't like the thought of being 30 minutes from my truck at dawn when I find out the stream is HIGH or the fishing is poor. I wanna get out fast when it's not working out. The big difference is that you very much more patient than I am so I understand how that suits you well.
Thanks. I've had more than my share of poor starts.

Actually, patience is not one of my virtues, unfortunately. Luckily, only the woodland creatures hear what I have to say after missing about ten strikes in a row. I do tend to stick on a poorly-fishing stream a little longer than I did years ago. Part of this is because I often attribute poor fishing to fishing pressure from other spinner fishermen and I'm always hoping I'll get above where they quit on the day they fished there. Years ago this was not an issue.

It took 1.5 hours to reach the Plan B stream because I had to walk back to my SUV, which took about 25 minutes because I had to cross a scary, high muddy stream twice, then drive a good 30 minutes, and then once again walk downstream for 30 minutes or so before beginning to fish.

Both of these streams have no place to park where I like to start fishing, thus the half hour walk. I rarely fish places where I have to walk in, because I agree, you can get stuck in a lousy situation and have to walk right back out. However, in most cases it pays off because I save a half hour later in the day since I'm fishing back toward the SUV rather than away from it right from the start.

On this day (Saturday) there were very few streams that I thought would even be fishable; that's why I chose the stream I chose and spent an entire hour and a half before beginning to fish again. I was amazed at how well the Plan B stream fished, but part of that was because, for some reason, I was hooking and catching far greater than my normal 40% (at best) of my strikes.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfire1
What to do? Eat them all.
I hope everyone who reads my photo essays realizes that I'm a catch-and-release angler. I usually mention it at least once per essay but this time I forgot.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb2799
You're certainly the innovator when it comes to spinner fishing for trout, but you seem to be setting the bar real high over and over with the pictures in your posts. Very impressive!

I'm glad that you've taken to posting weekly posts instead of the annual posts. Keep 'em coming!
Thanks for the compliment. When I drove to NC PA part of my plan was to take lots of photos so that I could do a photo essay on this site. I'm more relaxed than normal when fishing a remote stream since I don't need to be concerned with someone jumping ahead of me. Therefore, I'm more inclined to take photos. If I take photos on some streams I fish it means I'll get less time to actually fish. That was not an issue on the NC PA trip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page