Just Another July Outing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Just Another July Outing

Iíve noticed over the past couple of years (especially this year), that when I land a trout on my first cast of the day, it usually leads to an outing that falls well short of my expectations. Sunday morning was no different, except that not only did I land a trout on the first cast, I also landed trout on the second and third casts. Thinking it was going to be a huge numbers day as I clicked my pitch counter, I was soon brought back to reality.

I was fishing an approved trout water that also has a decent population of wild browns and plenty of open access. Quite surprising was the fact that the stretches right near the bridges and parking pull-offs, seemed to produce a lot better than the spots that were more difficult to get into. Go figure!

One of three average stocked rainbows that I caught in the morning.

Stream section above the waterfall (waterfall is to the left).

There would be runs that would produce multiple trout and then the action would peter out for 15 to 20 minutes. But thatís how it goes sometimes. Regardless of the consistency, I still brought a good amount of trout to hand and was really enjoying my time on the water.

A stocked brookie to complete the trifecta.

I fished for about 2 and a half hours before reaching my car. There was still a decent stretch of stream ahead of me, but I had a landowner boot me off 2 years ago even though there are no posted signs. I didnít feel like pressing my luck so I took off and headed back to camp.

As I was ahead of schedule, I decided to fish a stream that runs right through our campground just so that I could say that I fished it. My expectations were pretty low as most of the surrounding property owners clear all the riparian buffer of the stream right to the waterís edge. My expectations were so low, that I left my camera in the car. Although low and clear, the action was pretty decent with a good number of wild browns coming out to play, which will warrant a future return trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 06:30 PM

Re: Just Another July Outing

I have the exact same experiences as you on the 1st cast trout. It almost always leads to a less then spectacular day and I definitely dread that first retrieve. The whole time I saying please dont catch a fish haha. Anymore I just cast to a crappy looking spot first. I'm superstitious like that. Just get the first cast out of the way and this will never happen to you again ;-)

Cool about the last stream too! I'm sure it's a tad on the low side so you should do well when water are up and running. You'll be the only person showing those fish a properly presented spinner I'm sure of that.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 06:38 PM

I recall many, many years ago when I was just learning to fish spinners that I caught a trout on my first cast. That was my only trout of the outing, which back then was a lot shorter than an outing today.

I actually like catching a trout on my first cast. I think it is a good omen. Then I like to catch one on my second cast, third cast, and so on...

What I dread is having that first cast hook a trout that gets off at my feet. I hate when that happens.

I like your photo of the rhododendron touching the water. A simple photo but nice.

Thanks for sharing your outing.

I'll look forward to your "Campground Trout" story.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003
I have the exact same experiences as you on the 1st cast trout. It almost always leads to a less then spectacular day and I definitely dread that first retrieve. The whole time I saying please dont catch a fish haha. Anymore I just cast to a crappy looking spot first. I'm superstitious like that.
I'm considering on my next outing an 'intentional grounding' for my first cast where I throw the spinner directly on the bank. It's worth a shot.

Two weeks ago when I had a lights out day, it took me many casts before I finally brought one to hand. Just saying...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003
Cool about the last stream too! I'm sure it's a tad on the low side so you should do well when water are up and running. You'll be the only person showing those fish a properly presented spinner I'm sure of that.
Definitely not a destination stream by far, but if the conditions are right and there's time left... why not. There was a house on a hill far up on one of the banks that set up a little play area by the stream. They must have had 20 or so plastic gnomes around the stream bank. It was a little bit freaky to be fishing and seeing these plastic dolls staring at you...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:40 AM

Hahaha...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page