Swollen Streams - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Swollen Streams

I'm not sure if the same conditions are across the entire state, but the non stop rain we've been getting are leaving streams high and muddy for over a month.

Is this beneficial or hurting trout in streams?

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 01:00 PM
The Man

Re: Swollen Streams

Almost HAS to be good for the trout. Nobody can fish for them. This "summer" has been insane !! Aggravating. Disgusting......

Like your sig line BTW. Except I think every 8 days is being a bit optimistic anywhere east of about Altoona.

demokraten saugen
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Woke up this morning could have sworn it was early May. 58 degrees and sunny. Thought man I should hit penns but nevermind it's chocolate milk.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Unless there is a flash flood(not even sure on that) I wouldn't worry too much about the trout. They will move to areas of less current out of main flows. A very good time to check out smaller feeder creek. I went years ago on opening day and the creek was blown out of it's banks by about 3 feet. The spot that Pop parked at was near a farmhouse that had a small spring house. There was no more than a swampy ditch under normal conditions however on this day there was about 1 foot of clearer water in the ditch. As I made my way across the ditch towards a hole I noticed that the ditch was full of trout. That was a lesson that I've used many times over the years during high water events.

Also if the stream is stable for a while then starts to rise and color up a bit, those big browns seem to put on the feed bag

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 07:03 PM

Except for a few massive blow floods that have happened the areas that are just stuck in high water should have bummer crops of nice fish next year. Rarely to trout get to feed hard this late in the summer.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 09:58 AM
The Man

These kinds of rains are very good for trout. They keep good volume of water in the creeks, keep the temperatures cool, and provide a lot of food flowing down for the trout to feed on. So their survival rates, their growth, and their fitness is better than during hot dry summers.

Even a moderate flood does not really hurt trout. They can find slow, protected places to hide away from the main current.

It's only the extreme scouring floods that kill a lot of trout and knock trout populations down. For example the flood of fall 2011. In NE PA, such as the Loyalsock drainage and nearby areas, the floods were severe enough to knock down trout populations down a lot. But they bounce back within several years.

Also, these rains make conditions better for FISHING. Especially on the forested freestone streams. In dry summers the water is often down in the rocks through the summer months.

These rains provide May-like flows. Would you rather fish a stream that's nearly dry, or one with WATER in it?

When the big creeks are too high to fish, the smaller streams are in perfect shape.

And in forested watersheds, such as we have in on public forest lands, the water clears pretty quickly after a rain.

The larger streams draining areas with a lot of exposed soil, from farming and construction, will run brown for a while after rains.

But in forested drainages, where most of the soil has vegetation cover, the water goes from brown to chalky green pretty quickly after a rain.

You can get 2 or even 3 inches of rain in the evening and a lot of the small forested streams will fish well the very next day, when the big creeks will still be very high and brown.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page