Kinzua Tailwaters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Kinzua Tailwaters

I am looking for information on trout fishing the tailwaters. I live this close to Kinzua and have only fished there once in my life! I know, I know, I still can't believe it myself...

Anyway, I fished at the Big Bend Access area and only caught a few smallies and a sucker.

So where and how do you fish it for those huge trout that I am always hearing about? You know, those 25-30" brownies that weigh 8-10 lbs???

I really just got back into fishing, especially for trout, this year and have had great success. I caught 18" and 20" browns, 22" and 21.5" rainbows, and a 23" golden. But I am intrigued by the huge trout in the tailwaters and really want to learn where and how to fish them.

Right off the dam? Dixon Island? Shiners? Spinners?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:56 PM
The Man

Re: Kinzua Tailwaters

You can catch them off the breast, but the DI area is probably your best bet. Back in the day, my 7' ugly stick was enough to do the job. Today, I think most guys are using salmon gear.

Somebody with more recent knowledge will need to respond as to appropriate water flow levels, and approach.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:07 AM

I'd be googling Kinzeu tail water trout fishing. Probably a ton of info on fishing that place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Haven't found a whole lot of info on trout fishing there, mostly just success pics and stories.

I'm mainly just wondering where the trout are this time of year more than anything. Are most of them downstream in the deeper pools or right in the channels below the dam?

It's all moot right now though as the flow is over 5,000 cfm...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 02:03 AM
The Man

When the water is safe, go wade the island, my guess is you will find the fish. Also, don't overlook the area where Brown Run dumps into the river. Again, back in the day, we'd find some nice fish there.

Might help.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
It's all moot right now though as the flow is over 5,000 cfm...
Awwww c'mon Francis!! Get in there and churn it up haha!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:37 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti
When the water is safe, go wade the island,
For anyone who is considering fishing the Allegheny below Kinzua Dam, this is sage advice that I would HIGHLY recommend following. Take it from someone who had several close calls before wisening up and paying a lot more attention.
Check for anticipated flow/gate changes before you go also.

Trust me, if you get caught on the outside of one of those islands in chest waders and they raise the flow and you don't pay attention to it - you could get yourself in REAL danger. And it happens so subtley that it is hard to notice sometimes until it's too late. If you see that water coming up, get out of there.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 04:40 PM
New Arrival

What a great water to fish for Trophy Trout.
I have been fishing the Allegheny River Tailwaters for decades.
Yes, those 25" to 30" Browns do exist there, they are not simply a rumor. However, you have chosen to chase the very top end of the Trophy Trout Food Chain.
I have been fortunate, but I have spent countless hours there fishing, experimenting, learning, sweating, freezing, BSing,getting bug-bitten, nearly drowned and experiencing these Monster Trout.
Just looking over my informal notebook on the Project Waters, I have caught nearly 100 trout over 20" and 25 trout over 25", so, yes, they do exist. My best is a 29", 11 Lb Brown.
I can't tell you how many times a fisherman there has asked me....where are all the big trout !! Equate them to big, top-end whitetail bucks, and you will understand what I am saying.
Please pay very close attention to what was stated above.....WATCH THE WATER LEVEL AND OUTFLOW REASE FROM THE DAM VERY CLOSELY IF YOU ARE WADING.
Best advice I got from an old timer many years ago who fished the River....."Just Fish"....'and enjoy it " !!!
Good luck, practice Catch and Release, Take your camera, and be careful.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you all for the replies and advice. As soon as the flow gets down to manageable levels, I am going to give it a try.

IF the flows ever go down...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 08:31 PM

Winter time (Jan-early March) is probably the best time to fish it. Water levels are usually more stable. The highest flow I'll wade is 3200. 2200-2400 seems to be the best fishing. We always used noodle rods with 4# test. We thread large shiners and use enough weight to hit the bottom. My biggest was 26" around 6 pounds. The tailwater is where I first met Chicken Kicker (RB) and JasonN. We've had some great times on that river. I didn't make it there this past winter because it was too stinking cold all winter. I hope to remedy that next winter.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page