Leaving When the Fishing is Hot - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Leaving When the Fishing is Hot

As I sat on a grass hill Saturday night waiting for the fireworks with my family (and thousands of other people), I couldn’t help but think about how I was going to get almost no sleep that night. The fireworks finally started around 9:50 and I think I fell asleep around 12:30…

I was a bit slow getting out of bed Sunday morning. I had my target stream picked, but I was a bit nervous of what I would find once I got there. Most of the streams in the area were still fast, high, and practically unfishable. When I arrived, I found a stream that was flowing just right!

This stream has two distinct sections. The bottom half is mostly browns with some brookies mixed in and the top half is all brookies. I have only done so-so on the bottom half, but the bottom half has been known to produce a wild tiger trout every so often. As I’m still chasing my first wild tiger trout and don’t fish a lot of ‘mixed’ streams, I opted to start on the bottom half. The fishing was fast and the action was great, the ‘catching’ part on the other hand… not so much.

After 45 minutes, I had only brought 4 wild browns and 1 native brookie to hand. Had I landed every trout that attacked my spinner, I would have been close to 30.

After a ‘long release’ on my umpteenth trout, I decided to head straight to the upper half out of pure frustration. That would prove to be my best move of the day. The fishing (and catching) was superb on the upper half. I was bringing the majestic colored brookies to hand at an awesome pace.

The only issue I had going for me this day was time. My wife wanted to get a 10 mile run in before lunch, which meant I had to start the 45 minute hike back to my car by 8:45. I never fully enjoy fishing when I have a time crunch, but it was certainly hard not to bask in excitement the way the brookies were coming to hand this morning.

I came upon a huge pool with that used to have several downed trees running across it. With the majority of these trees gone from the pool, I was able to fish some of the deeper sections. One of my first casts yielded this hard fighting native.

The next cast and I felt the old familiar thump and knew I had another decent brookie on the line.

My very next cast saw my line running before I could even trip the bail. This trout was trying to run for a few branches at the bottom of the pool, but I was able to muscle him out of the structure and bring him to hand for a quick picture.

As I continued upstream, the fishing seemed to be getting better and better. However, I found that I was now checking my watch at a near frantic pace.

Must be a stockie as its fin is worn to a nub.

Before I knew it, and way before I hit any slow water, it was time to make my way back to my car. In 2 hours of fishing the ‘upper section’, I brought to hand 55 trout in addition to the 5 trout I had caught in the lower section.

When I got back to our camper, my three boys wanted to go out on a row boat. My oldest son brought his rod and hooked (and landed) a beauty of a bass on a plastic lizard. The look on his face was probably very similar to mine as I wrapped up my Sunday morning fishing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 12:05 AM

Re: Leaving When the Fishing is Hot

Dang man!!! Those are some big numbers right there. Painfully good under a curfue. Good to see the floods didn't wreck that creek.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 12:26 AM
Part of the Community

Wow they are soo dark. Most of the Brookies I catch are not real dark like that.

2C/2E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 08:48 AM
The Man

Nice
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I really don't do well with curfews when fishing, I'll give you an atta boy for that because I probably would have just kept fishing a while longer, lol.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 10:52 AM

Tannic water almost always produces dark brookies and browns for that matter. Very common in NE PA with all the bogs that form most creeks headwaters.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

nice trip, is it possible that the fin was just defected
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 11:58 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Magnificent brookies.

Good job on returning on time for the run. I would have never made it back in time.

Potter County-God's Country. Fishing/exploring Northcentral PA since 1981.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 11:59 AM

I don't like time constraints either. For one thing it can limit stream selection, particularly when Plan B comes into play. I really hate to quit when the fishing is awesome.

Some wild trout can have a messed-up pectoral fin. Usually it's just one of the two fins though. Were both pectoral fins on your brookie messed up?

I wouldn't be surprised if the trout in the lower section had been fished over recently with spinners, thus the hooking problem. If you ever fish a stream where the trout haven't seen spinners before you'll be in for a treat.

Overall it looks like you had a great outing!

Thanks for sharing your day.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackone
nice trip, is it possible that the fin was just defected
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTroutAngler
Some wild trout can have a messed-up pectoral fin. Usually it's just one of the two fins though. Were both pectoral fins on your brookie messed up?
I should have indicated that the "stockie" picture was put up in sarcasm. I have no doubt in my mind that this fish was a native brookie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page