Odd day on some pressured water - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Odd day on some pressured water

With my normal wild trout streams blown out from the rain, I headed up to the mountains of Bald Eagle State Forest on Thursday. I decided to fish a stream that gets stocked heavily...and fished even heavier, but that also has a budding wild trout population. The stream is really a 2 part stream, the Catch-and-release fly fishing only section, and the catch your limit and go home section. I opted to start in the C&R section in the morning. Typically I can pick up on average 45 fish in this section. The water was high, but mostly clear, which I thought would be ideal, but it proved more challenging then I had anticipated. There were boot tracks all over and the usually tall bank grass had a well worn trail, even far from the road. Perhaps with the other streams running over with water, many anglers had the same thoughts I did, anyway I ended up that section with 23 trout on the orange beetle. I also wondered if maybe the trout were just full, I mean all that rain had to wash a bunch of food into the stream...I guess I am making excuses for why I didn't catch as many as I wanted to, but it sure was a nice day to be on the water regardless.

Sunrise along the stream (should have done better with this picture, it was beautiful!):

Sunrise along the creek by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Footpath Crossing:

Mid State Trail by Jason Weller, on Flickr

The first fish of the day was a massive 4" brown, that somehow managed to get the hook in his "gaping" jaw...but fish #2 was a real beauty:

Native Brookie by Jason Weller, on Flickr

The fishing was pretty tough as I picked my way upstream, but there were enough handsome browns of decent size (for the stream) thrown in.

Those Colors by Jason Weller, on Flickr

15-0038 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

13-0027 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

11-0023 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

9-0018 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Oh, and some pretty natives too:

8-0012 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

One of the last holes surprised me with this rainbow, which must have swam a long way to get to this un-stocked section...I believe at least 4 miles upstream past a beaver dam...or someone dumped it in upstream and made its way down...either way it was a long way from where it should have been, but it sure put a nice bend in the 3 weight!

14-0031 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

After 3 miles of fishing and hiking back to the car, all of the morning and part of the afternoon had already slipped away, so I decided to head down to the open waters and try the spinner for a bit (shoulder needed a break anyway). I had stopped for a few pics on my way through in the morning:

Cabin Crossing by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Fishing Hole by Jason Weller, on Flickr

I caught one on my second cast, a little wild brown, and that was when I realized the camera was back at the vehicle. So no pictures for this part of the story...I only landed 6 little natives and wild browns, but I had a lot of wild fish follow which was nice to see, I was pretty beat by then and some of casts wandered off target, I mean who aims for that BIG Hemlock on purpose 4 times in a row...the reaction time was a little slowed as well.

I decided on the way home to stop and fish a tiny tributary that I have been driving over for 22 years and never fished. I had stopped for a picture on my way through:

Solitude by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Now let me tell you what, I can deal with a lot of things fishing, bears, rattlesnakes, other anglers, those big creepy spiders that watch you and wait to drop on your neck...but that little tributary had the most mosquitoes per square yard then any other place I have ever fished. I caught 6 beautiful little browns and brookies before I just couldn't take it anymore! I itched non-stop for the 45 minute ride home, no lie! But the fish were just awesome enough to warrant a return trip, with DEET, OFF, RAID, and DDT, and anti-air craft fire...

10-0021 by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 02:13 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Odd day on some pressured water

Great pictures!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good series of stream side pics.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 05:44 PM

I had to laugh at the end of the story there. Been there done that with the mosquitoes lol. Deer flies will do the same thing to me. Chase me right off a Creek.

Nice post!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 09:25 PM
New Arrival

Try a Thermacell they really do work.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 10:26 PM

Those stream photos are absolutely gorgeous! And the other photos are not too shabby either!

Care to share your photographic secrets? Camera type? Speed and F-stop on the "Cabin Crossing" photo? Are these photos straight out of the camera or are they enhanced with a program like Photoshop?

You might have your priorities backward. Go with the spinning rod first.

Your first photo looks like it was taken from beside the rhododendron bush in the second photo.

Overall a beautiful photo essay. Thanks for sharing it with us. Your work with a camera is stunning.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTroutAngler
Care to share your photographic secrets? Camera type? Speed and F-stop on the "Cabin Crossing" photo? Are these photos straight out of the camera or are they enhanced with a program like Photoshop?
I shoot a Canon 60D and a Nikon D5100, I only carry the Nikon on the water though when fishing, the Canon only comes out if I am just doing photography...though I think I like the Nikon pics better recently. The "cotton candy" stream shots were 30" exposure at f/16...it was pretty dark when I shot these so I didn't use a filter, but as it gets lighter I use a polarizing circular filter, like in this shot from last week... (you can see more of these in my post in the outdoor photography forum if you like them)

Tall Timbers by Jason Weller, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTroutAngler
Your first photo looks like it was taken from beside the rhododendron bush in the second photo.
Good eye, it was most certainly taken from that spot!

Thanks you for your kind words, I appreciate it!

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page