Before the storm - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Before the storm

I went out on friday morning to spinner fish knowing that a lot of water would be unfishable from the rain we were to receive on saturday. It turns out that the water wasn't too far from being to high on friday morning either. The stream I went to in the morning runs into a small river that I usually fish at 100-150 CFS and on friday the river was at 1100CFS. The native trout stream clear, but swift.

I usually pull one or two migrant stocked trout from this bottom hole, but not today.

The first fish of the day was a native with an impressive dorsal fin.

I took my coat off immediately after this. Whenever I reach to extend my arms during an underhand cast, it gets cut short and I miss my mark.
The few stockers that I knew I would catch were farther up than usual, likely due to the river encroaching on the bottom of the stream.

Then it turned to all native action.

This was the first time I made it up to this double waterfall as I usually fish this stream as an afterthought to fishing the river that it feeds. In this picture you can see the "black" color to the rocks and water that are common to stream in the area that cut through the same layer of rock.

I was working slowly due to the higher volume of water and more places to cast, and in a new area, I had a skewed sense of how much stream I had covered. I had to be home by noon and prematurely rushed off the stream after 64 trout were caught. I assumed that I was 3 miles from the car. I found a logging road to jog back on and it was only 2 miles. I could have fished another hour. There are no other access points on that steam, and the fishing wasn't dropping off at all. I will just wait a month and then go at it again.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I do fly fish from time to time. For me to grab my fly rod, some specific things need to happen. First, I need to have nothing else to do. Second, I need to have already caught a pile of trout earlier that day. And lastly, I need to be able to find my fly box. This all happens maybe once every two weeks and it is convenient since I have a very nice FFO water almost in my back yard.

This is where I started. I fish almost exclusively with woolly buggers in either black or white.

There are many trees down now on this stream as it went through a 25 year flood event last September. Everything I knew about the stream changed during that flood. All of the holes I knew were gone, but new ones were formed. In some cases, the stream bed moved close to 20 yards.

I took this picture last fall a few days after the flood occurred. There were so many rocks washed up onto what used to be forest floor, that the stream always looks low now.

I caught 4 from this first hole. Trout were rising almost constantly eating what looked to be size 22 midges. However, they also ate woolly buggers that I was alternately stripping downstream and floating on a dead drift.

None of these stocked trout here had much color. The last brown was the most interesting with a touch of orange in its spots. 24 were landed here and many more were missed in 2.5 hours before dark. Despite being in the stream for a few months, there were virtually no trout outside of the big holes of the FFO section. I guess they have been trained.

Then the rains came Saturday and I've been patiently waiting for flows to decrease.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Before the storm

I would love to see the colors on the first wild brookie come October. Nice outing.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 02:23 PM

Re: Before the storm

That is one thing I will hand SWPA....It has some of the best big brooks trout fishing anywhere. It's impressive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page