Short Trout Trip on a Waterlogged Weekend. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Short Trout Trip on a Waterlogged Weekend.

Over the course of a summer trout season a spin fisherman will endure a lot of ebbs and ‘flows’. I’m currently enduring a lot of flows…….varying flows that is! I’ve been in a bit of a funk ever since taking my trip back to SWPA. I’ve been experiencing good fishing of late but my researching skills for water conditions have been leaving me high and dry or soaking wet for the past two weeks. The lack of consistency in the storms has been rather unique according to my records. While there is nothing unique about rain, the variation in amounts over small areas has been difficult for me to assess. I’ve got streams pegged with years of info only to show up and find them less than ideal. Then it’s off to the races to find water. I’ve become a real water-snob over the last 3 years. It’s almost like finding the perfect water level almost supersedes actually catching the trout haha. Lord knows I don’t always catch the trout when I find the water!!! I’m the same way with waterfowl hunting. I get a bigger kick out of finding the birds and gaining permission to hunt then I do in actually killing. The chase is where it’s at for me these days.
Luckily for me Saturday was a bit more consistent. Leading up to Friday night it looked as if I was going to have several stream at perfection levels but Friday AM left me questioning and Friday night left me downright disappointed. Across the board everything had dropped to just below perfect. On a normal Saturday that would be fine but with the impending rain I didn’t want to risk an hour + drive only to be turned away by low water and then heavy rain. I instead opted to do something that Frank does with regularity……..opt for a limestoner! I knew water levers would be good and that trout would be present. I figured the stretch wouldn’t have been fished for a while either as, for whatever reason, it’s not a very popular stream at all. I rarely see another fisherman there.
When I arrived I say just what I was looking for!

And the first small pool did not disappoint as this heavy 17.5” rainbow shot from the depths to smash my spinner.

Limestone browns were abundant too!

For whatever reason, in my area, the limestone browns preferred tactic for combat is to jump and leap like crazy and anyone that spin fishes a lot knows that it’s a dead tactic for them. There is nothing on this planet that will toss a spinner faster than a leaping trout. If I land 50% of the jumpers I feel fortunate and when they are all jumping……..well, you get the picture. There were a lot this day like always. I went so far as to start to bury the rod tip deep underwater during the fight to discourage them from jumping. It might have worked a little but not a lot. Worth a try! Adding to the trouble, my wife accidently broke the ring out of my tip top on my primary rod Friday evening so I was down to my backup rod and my back up reel. Not a great situation but I made the best of it and enjoyed using the 2 second stringers for a morning. They don’t see the light of day too often so it was nice to get out and have a decent outing before they return to their respective boxes long term.
I caught 5 rainbows from this pool/run. It was deep enough that you couldn’t see the bottom.

As I approached the big spring and the end of my morning the pace of the fishing picked up. I was more off the beaten path so I figured I was fishing for trout that hadn’t seen a spinner in a long time. They acted like it.

On the second to last piece of good habitat I had a large trout zoomed downstream past my spinner at Mach 5. I wasn’t sure what was up with that but on the next cast I hooked the bugger! Like most rainbows he fought hard but the backups landed him anyhow!

I chose the most feminine pose possible lol. Hope you all like it!
I ended the outing with this stunning rainbow. Perfectly shaped.

It was raining pretty good by 9:30 and with 54 trout caught and released I’d had enough and was content to head home for some fresh backyard chicken eggs and rye toast. Figured I’d just grab some coffee and sit on the side porch with the wife and watch it rain…… and rain it did!
I figured the next AM was going to be good but after nearly 200 miles on the truck this is all I found stream after stream

Finally at 9am I found a stream that I thought would produce ok but by then I just didn’t feel like getting started on what would have been a long stretch of water to fish. My wife texted me to tell me she had blueberry flap jacks on the griddle and that was enough for me to head out! I spent the rest of the AM in the yard picking a bumper crop of raspberries and blues berries.

All in all a nice weekend despite the rain out and lack of long outing fishing activities. I’m very much looking forward to this coming weekend. I’m going to steal a day here this week and then plan to fish Friday and Saturday at the very least. Water levels should be very good if not perfect by my standards. Time will tell with the impending rains scheduled for Tues and Wed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 04:25 PM

Re: Short Trout Trip on a Waterlogged Weekend.

The rain arrived earlier here in SC PA on Saturday. I had planned on fishing a small freesoner beginning at daybreak, but during the drive there I changed my mind and went to a limestoner instead.

I got lucky. I fished until after 3:00 p.m. in the rain and though the water level rose, it never got muddy. On the way home I passed the freestoner I was going to fish at daybreak and it was a raging torrent.

On Sunday I didn't fish, but I drove to a couple streams to check them out just for the fun of it. They were too high to fish but clear.

Though the high water kept me from fishing on Sunday, I was smiling because water levels should be good in July. There's something special about fishing a nicely-flowing freestoner in July. With as dry as it was here in May through mid-June or so, it's almost hard to believe how much water there is to begin July.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

AMEN to that Frank. We, trout fishers, are an odd bunch. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I am never in a better mood than when there is a good rain coming down. I have a spring in my step like no other. Never met a rainy day I didn't like. Sometimes they keep me from fishing but like you, I recognize there are better days to come because of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 08:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

You are certainly determined when you're driving 200 miles to find fishable water! Low by your standards, but 54 trout before 9:30 is a decent day.

I went with a sure bet on Sunday and went bass fishing.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 11:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am attempting to transplant red and black raspberry bushes after they are done bearing. My in-laws have a quarter acre berry patch they they no longer maintain. Weeds took a toll this year and the trails all grew over. Have you heard of using rooting hormone to help cuttings take root when trying to start a new patch? I may try it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

TDM.....you may already know this but the bearing canes of a raspberry die shortly after picking the last berry. They actually start to die during the ripening process. You're safe to take the new shoots now....the reds at least. The red rasps will be sending shoots from the ground up. You can easily dig up some of the smaller canes coming from the grounds. The blacks you'll need to wait till later in the season the branches touch the dirt and send roots. If you're interested I'd be happy to dig you up as many blacks as you'd like in the fall and mail them to you. I just pull them and burn them typically. I suppose you could dig up last falls branch shoots from the blacks and get them in but I wouldn't wait much longer for that. They grow fast!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

I agree BJB.....I was very happy with the action. I wish there would have been more water to fish but that water is in limited supply. Bubbles up and goes back underground in less than a mile.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Have you heard of using rooting hormone to help cuttings take root when trying to start a new patch? I may try it.
A product called Rootone works. It's a Powder form. But I can tell you that I simply just take a small chunk of dirt when digging and transplanting Red Raspberries and they go like gangbusters.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Like Fleroo says, Raspberry (both black and red) are VEEEEERRRRY hardy plants. You wont need any type of root stimulator. Dig them up, keep them wet on the transport, plant relatively shallow, water, the WILL grow and grow and grow lol. They're extremely tough plants.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 01:31 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I picked what looks like the last crop of red rasps today so I will be digging and transplanting soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page