unique morning trout fishing in Philadephia. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

unique morning trout fishing in Philadephia.

Well guys I decided to go trout fishing this morning. With the rain this week I figured the creek would be at a decent level. So I was up at 4:45am & fishing by 5:30am. the creek is only 5 minutes from my house. For anyone having trouble believing this yes we do have trout fishing in Phila. The trout are stocked but hold over very well. The stream runs right through the wissahickon valley of fairmount park. If you didn't know better you would not believe you were in the city. I caught 7 & lost 2 this morning before the rain started. One nice rainbow about 14" the rest gorgeous looking browns, but that is not what made this day unique. at about 6:30 while fishing my periphrial vison caught the flapping of wings, rather large wings. My immediate thought was Great Blue Heron, as they are rather common in the park. As I looked up there in all its glory was a Bald Eagle, the unmistakable white head & tail it's broad wings, flying below the tree tops, an unforgettable sight, and right here in Phila.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 12:29 AM

Re: unique morning trout fishing in Philadephia.

There was a nesting pair in the Norristown Farm Park
this year. Always exciting to see one.

" I think you better call John cause it doesn't look like
they're here to deliver the mail."
Neil Young " Powderfinger"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 01:03 AM

Sounds like a good day of fishing in Philly. Some nice trout and a bald eagle in Philly, awesome.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 11:50 AM

Dare I say that Eagle sightings anymore are rather 'common' (not to downplay you're event of course ;-) ). I didn't even see my first live in the flesh bald eagle until I was 30 years old but now I see several a year and if you frequent places like the big rivers you probably see then hang near every single day. You'll be seeing more and more and more too. When you young children grow up its probably not even going to be a note worthy event. Like seeing a redtail these days.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 12:04 PM
The Man

I believe bald eagles have been delisted even from threatened status. Still, it is always a thrill and a privilege to see them that should never be taken fro granted. I have probably seen 7 or 8 so far this spring while up at camp fishing and am fortunate enough to work somewhere that has a couple nesting pairs.

I have never been to Philadelphia except for driving through it one time, but it seems hard to believe that trout could be caught anywhere in that city at this time of year. I would think they would get hammered as soon as they got put in.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 12:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nicely done Mike. Were you the sole angler on the stream or were there others there as well?

I've fished the Wissahickon a couple of times when I was younger but talk about pressure then, if you happened to go in the afternoon of opening day, there were literally none left.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 01:03 PM

I've had three bald eagle sightings so far this year. I still consider it an event and it definitely helps to make the day.

Congrats on a good outing of trout fishing.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Trout I would not consider myself young now I am 50.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Kudu the wissahickon creek here in Phila has many springs that seep into it when the water gets low & the teps rise that is where many of the the trout hold. The cree is also running through a completely wooded area all the way to where it flows into the schukyll river, that helps the water temp some too. You would be surprised how beautiful this area is.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The presure on the creek is nothing of what it was, has not been for a long time. yes I was the only one fishing that morning. I have fished that creek for over 45 years(since I was 4) have been fishing into june most of those years. sometimes With enough rain & cooler summers I have made into august cathing a lot of trout. It is a great place to trout fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page