Father's Day Fishing - Saturday (Day 2) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Father's Day Fishing - Saturday (Day 2)

<span style="font-weight: bold">Saturday, June 20th</span>

Although I only had 5 hours of sleep Friday night, I felt pretty good Saturday morning when I woke up. However, the tricky part with sharing a 28 foot camper with the family is that every little noise at 4:00 AM seems to be amplified 1,000 percent. Wake up a kid and risk having that morning’s fishing cancelled; wake up the wife and risk sleeping in a tent the rest of the weekend.

Saturday morning found me heading to another nearby stream that I had never fished before, but had been on my “to do list” for several years. When I parked my car and hopped out to explore, I was a little surprised as I was expecting the stream to be a bit bigger. Not to be discouraged, I threw on my gear and hiked a bit downstream. The stream’s canopy was quite thick and although the sun was out, it seemed as if I was fishing in pre-dawn conditions.

As I made my first cast of the day, a trout smacked my spinner, but I failed to set the hook. My next cast was right in the middle of the pool and I was quickly rewarded with my first trout of the morning.

There was plenty of good habitat throughout the stream, but the fishing action was very inconsistent. Some pools would yield 2 or 3 trout and then the action would completely die for a long stretch.

Similar to the previous day’s outing, I had a good feeling when I walked up to the below pool. It had “big trout water” written all over it. As I began to retrieve my first cast, I see a trout literally come off the stream's bottom and torpedo right for my spinner. The huge brown trout (I would estimate his size around 18”) knocked my spinner clear out of the water and leapt at least 6 inches above the water’s surface, but failed to take the treble hook. I must have thrown another 20 casts into the pool hoping for a reprieve, but it was not meant to be this day.

As I continued upstream, the creek was really starting to narrow out and the vegetation was becoming thicker and thicker. After I spotted something that resembled a trail, I hopped out of the stream and headed back to my car.

I didn’t have a Plan B for this day as I needed to head back to our camper mid-morning to meet my parents. I still had a little over an hour to fish, so I made my back towards our camper hoping to cross a stream that would pique my interest. As I sat at a stop light a few miles from the campground, I noticed a small parking spot next to a decent sized stream. I quickly pulled into the spot and looked all around. No posted signs in sight, I was in business!

Although this section of stream is not on the natural reproduction list (nor are any sections stocked), I quickly saw a few tiny trout darting around the first pool and decided to stick around. As soon as my first cast landed, 5-6 big trout came flying out after my spinner. This guy was the winner of round 1.

My next cast had the same result as the first. Multiple trout were nipping at my spinner and a beautiful rainbow trout was brought to hand. As I fumbled to get my camera, the trout was able to slip off the hook and retreat to the depths of the pool. But the next cast yielded another trout and this pattern continued over and over. I’m not sure of the source of these stocked trout, but I was having a blast catching them.

The action was relentless for about 15 minutes – 26 trout brought to hand! Every cast yielded a 12”+ trout or a decent strike. I have never experienced action like this with trout as big as these. At this point, I only had about 30 minutes to fish, so I decided to hold back and make this stream my target for Monday morning…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:52 PM

Re: Father's Day Fishing - Saturday (Day 2)

Some small streams can have some really nice pools. Sometimes they look bad close to the access point and not worth fishing. This can keep the angler pressure down. But if one is willing to explore the creek well upstream, the stream can look like much better and be full of trout.

That big trout that tossed the spinner is one of the things that keeps an angler going back. A little mystery and drama is always good.

If I caught that many stocked trout in one spot I'd be thinking the stream has to be posted. I'd be taking a second look for posters before continuing. I once had an entire day on a stream like that, and it was open to free public angling. Maybe you will (did) on Monday...

I look forward to your Monday report.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:00 PM

Heck, had I known you were around Monday I'd of joined ya!

I've had that happen with the stockers and been on both sides of the fence. I once came across a nice pool on a new stream and the first cast yielded an 18" stocker. The second a 19" stocker. 3rd 4th 5th....all huge fish. Right then and there I knew darn well that I was some place I shouldn't be haha (I knew after 3 but had to cast a few more lol). I looked and looked and saw nothing but rather then get flipped out on I backed out to investigate. I drove up along the street and sure enough it was crazy posted but apparently there was a major flood a week earlier that washed the cable out that was hanging across the creek (according to a person I asked). I was glad I didn't get caught. I've had other times where it was ok though. I go with the 'too good to be true' moto haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:18 PM
The Man

There are many streams (hundreds) stocked by coop hatcheries that are not on the PFBC stocking list.

Maybe that's where those hatchery fish came from.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 09:47 PM

Very nice fish and beautiful stream.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page