high water wading/fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

high water wading/fishing

I drove over the stream I wanted to fish on monday morning and it was just starting to clear but still carrying a tremendous volume. I tried a smaller class A stream nearby that I've never fished about 1000ft higher in elevation.

It looked good. I fished for 1 hour and caught 3. This was my least productive outing in 3 years.

I wouldn't have kept going on so long, but the fact that it was class A, and couldn't have been reasonably fished for at least 4-5 days due to raging water, and that I was only 20 minutes from home kept me moving up. There was just no fish-holding water. 6-8" of rippling water with no structure or boulders or even significant bends in the stream for nearly a mile of stream. All 3 brookies were around 8". I will be back and try significantly farther upstream, but the stream was only 6ft across at the mouth so I'm not sure how it will look way up there.

On the way home, I drove over the stream I was planning to fish tuesday. It was high and just starting to clear.

On thursday morning, it was mostly clear but still carrying about 125% of its normal volume.

The first few minutes showed that it was more difficult that normal to retrieve my spinner with extra water pushing it back to me. I gave myself an ultimatum that if I didn't catch 9 trout by the first bridge, I would go elsewhere.

The first trout came as a nice 14" brown. You can see the water behind me is seriously moving.

I got to the bridge with 5 trout, and casted into the next pool, which I told myself still counted since I was standing under the bridge.

First was a 17" brown.

Then an obese 18" rainbow.

And 2 more for a total of 9, so I kept moving excited that there may be a some stockers hanging around.

As I moved up, fish kept coming, both stockers and natives.

I caught most of the trout from the slower water off to the side of where I normally would have casted. This hole above, I caught one on the far left less than 2ft from the bank.

This was the nicest stocking I have gotten into this year for an extended length of stream. The plumpness of fish was consistently high.

This stretch of stream was brutal for me and the fish. I caught 11 out of this 100 yard section. the depth was a few inches above the knee. Trout were caught off of the left and right banks. I walked up the middle and burned maybe 200 calories in the few minutes I was working up through, fighting the current. I didn't get any fish pictures here because my concentration and focus was taken up by wading and casting without falling.

Finally the stream leveled off a bit and settled into a long slow pool.

Another 17" fish liked the slow water too. By this point, I had 10 trout between 16-18".

Not to be outdone by the stockers, a nice native showed himself in this hole too.

This is where I ended. I always wonder if fish like this have trouble making left turns.

I saved the two converging streams above for another day. I leave at least a month between fishing a stream, so I try not to cover too much water in one day so I can get out and fish locally more often.

I ended with 83 trout in just under 4 hours. I usually tuck my running shoes in the elastic band of my fanny pack, but I forgot to this time. I started to hike back along a dirt road in my Korkers wading boots and I decided they were good enough to run in. It was surprisingly comfortable running the 2 miles back in wading boots. It felt good to get blood back into my legs after 4 hours of cold, wet wading.

When I got back to my car, I looked at the water just below where I started. I am always anxious to just jump in and start working up. I skipped 50 yards of workable water just below my car so I popped over the bank and first cast produced another 16" brown without a right pectoral fin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 10:35 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: high water wading/fishing

Great pictures.... Thanks for sharing!!

Those who teach must never cease to learn ~ John Cotton Dana
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:30 AM

Gotta love that high water after it being so low in May and half or so of June.

How do all of the stocked trout get in the stream? Co-op?

Eleven trout 16" or longer in one day, even if they are stockers, is a great day.

How do you measure your trout? I put thread-wrap inch-markers on my rod when I made it. It's really easy to measure trout by just holding the trout up to the rod.

Thanks for sharing your day with us.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 12:49 PM

Ya an 11 big trout day is unreal. Can't beleive you didn't get pics of all of them! I've never had a day like that. I've caught 13 with a buddy in a day but he caught a few of them himself. Had a 9 hog day early this year on Wild Browns but that's as close as I've gotten. Crazy day for sure.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have marking scratched into my rod starting at 12" and going every 2" up to 24". It was a semi popular stream that runs right through a little town. My guess is it was the local sportsman's club. The state hasn't stocked there in over a month ago. Last year I caught 32 in the same stretch of water at a similar time in the summer so 51 trout difference was a lot.

I did take more pictures, but as you can tell my camera on my flip phone isn't the greatest and many pictures turn out blurry. I'm working on an upgrade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page