Father's Day Fishing - Friday (Day 1) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Father's Day Fishing - Friday (Day 1)

For the past four or five years, I have put together extra-long Fatherís Day weekends with plenty of fishing throughout (typically trout in the mornings, bass in the afternoons). This year would be a bit different as we would be staying at our camper in NE Pennsylvania for four straight days. This would also put me that much closer to some really good trout waters.

Friday, June 19th

I was hoping to be on the road early Friday morning, but the wife and kids were really dragging their behinds and we didnít get on the road until 9:00 . By the time we arrived, unpacked, and fed everyone, it was 1:00 PM. Not my favorite time to head out to the streams, but it beat sitting by the pool.

For my Friday afternoon outing, I settled on a couple of small freestone streams that I had never fished before. Being short on time, I parked in the lot and started fishing right away (typically Iíll hike up or downstream quite aways to avoid the more convenient / high pressure fishing areas).

Although the water was low and clear, the fishing was surprisingly decent. Almost every piece of decent water produced action.

After about 50 minutes of fishing the first stream, I decided that I would move on to my second stream. This stream was a bit smaller than the first, but provided more of a canopy over the water.

It didnít take more than a cast or two to bring this young, wild brown trout to hand (probably the only picture you will ever see a wedding ring on me while fishing - I'm too paranoid it will slip off and be lost to a stream bottom).

As I walked upstream, I brought the occasional wild brown trout to hand along with a couple of small, native brook trout. When I approached the below hole, I had a good feeling in my gut that this hole would produce nicely for me.

My first cast was immediately greeted by a decent sized trout that darted out of his hiding spot and nailed my spinner. During the struggle, I noticed that it was a big brookie. Iím thinking to myself that I have my biggest native brookie on the end of my line. The anticipation intensified during the battle until I scooped him up and realized it was just your average stockie. A couple of pictures later and heís back in the water. My excitement then turns back to the water.

Although I predominantly caught stocked brookies on the second stream, the few wild browns that I did catch were quite stunning. The electric spots on the wild browns in this drainage have always impressed me.

The second stream had some nice habitat and was really fun to fish. Although the fishing was not as good as on the first stream, it was good enough to warrant a return trip.

I'll post a write-up and pictures from Saturday and Monday's trout outings over the next couple of days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 05:58 PM

Re: Father's Day Fishing - Friday (Day 1)

Beautiful fish and nice creek. Those mushrooms look good too.

ďIntegrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.Ē C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 06:48 PM

Nicely done. I'll look forward to the rest of the post to come. I hate pools like the one with the tree all the way across is and so close to the water, or submerged that I can't cast up under it. All I need is about 8" of clearance and I can cast up and under.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

Great post! I too look for the rest to come. So far it looks like you had a great Friday afternoon.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 12:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 11:29 AM
The Man

The photo with the big tree down across the creek shows how just one fallen tree can create good habitat, causing the formation of a pool, and providing overhead cover for trout.

In what would otherwise be a shallow, featureless stretch of stream.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:23 PM

I agree -- that wild brown is very pretty. It always amazes me how wild trout can be so different from different streams or even within the same stream. I like it that way.

I like the challenge of fishing a pool that has a downed tree lying in the water the entire way across the stream. I like to try to hit the seam where the tree and water meet so that my spinner goes in with hardly a notice.

Looks like you made the best of a late day on the water.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:49 PM

You can have all the streams like that Frank and I'll take the ones with the logs that run at a 22 degree angle in all the pools. The ones that I can just run my spinner right along
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:14 PM
The Man

I don't care what angle the trees are in the water.

As long as people leave them there, and don't take the chainsaw to those downed trees and remove them from the streams.

That happens quite a lot, unfortunately.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:19 PM

Very true troutbert. Rather see the tree in a difficult cast spot then not there at all.

Can I maybe just cut a little wedge up through it......;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page