Road Trip !!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Road Trip !!!

Road Trip !!!

During the week leading up to the weekend of June 13th & 14th, 2015, I started to develop an itch to go on a road trip to north-central Pennsylvania in search of the wild trout that inhabit the beautiful little mountain streams of that region. I kept my fingers crossed that the water-level gage on a particular stream that I monitor would stay above my minimum requirement for a worthwhile journey north.

By Friday the gage still looked favorable and my itch had turned into a severe rash. My plan developed quickly: I would fish locally in south-central PA on Saturday so that I'd be tired enough to go to bed extra early on Saturday night, then I'd get up early on Sunday morning for a trip to God's Country.

Since the mountain freestone streams near where I live in Blair County are all low, on Saturday morning I opted to fish a small stream fed by limestone springs. I knew it too would be low for mid-June, but I kept my fingers crossed that it wouldn't be too low to enjoy.

The trout were out feeding and hitting my White Bead Gold spinner well. After the first hour I had logged 16 little wild browns in my notepad, and after the second hour I was approaching 40 trout.

Spicebush offered some cover for the trout. Sadly, many of the trout were already congregated in the deeper pools for protection from predators. In one deep pool I cranked out a dozen brownies, all but two of which were between 10" and 13".

I was able to cast against the bank and under an overhanging shrub in one deep pool, and this 16" wild brown trout was my reward.

I haven't caught a lot of big trout this year, so here's another photo of the same trout to make it look at a glance like I was really into the big trout.

After 7.00 hours the action pretty much died. Overall, I tallied 107 trout. Considering the conditions I was very satisfied.

On Sunday morning I woke up before the alarm at 2:55 a.m. I was excited about my first road trip of the year. By 3:30 a.m. I had my chariot fired up and pointed north. My destination was a small mountain stream where I hoped the wild trout would be eager to attack my spinner.

I began fishing at 6:13 a.m. just as a hard rain moved in. It was so dark in the hollow that I could barely see my spinner dangling in front of me before each cast.

Occasionally a trout was landed, but the action was slow.

A doe snorted behind me as I stood in the four-foot wide stream. As I turned to look for the deer I caught a glimpse of something in the water near my feet moving rapidly. I blinked and instantly a second something, now identified as a little fawn, ran past me in the water like the first one not two feet from my hip boots. They ran up the streambed and then cut up over a steep bank. I was startled to say the least. The hair on my neck stood on end. Good thing I had packed an extra pair of undies in the back of my vest.

The stream was small and not flowing as much as I had hoped. Had I had a decent Plan B I may have bolted early.

But I knew from being there before that the stream changes character regularly and has some decent pools.

Gradually I settled into some decent angling and just enjoyed the surroundings as much as the tug on the end of my line.

Some pretty little native brookies were caught and released.

And occasionally a wild brown made the mistake of striking my spinner. I always like it when I'm fishing a little "brookie" stream to catch a wild brown because this increases my anticipation when I come to one of the better pools where a large brown may call the place home.

I saw just one specimen of purple fringed orchis all day, but it's been years since I've seen even one.

I also heard many birds while working my way upstream into the headwaters. Bird songs I could identify included a scarlet tanager, yellow warbler, black-throated green warbler, red-eyed vireo, ovenbird, Acadian flycatcher, veery, blue jay, ruby-throated hummingbird, belted kingfisher, rufous-sided towhee, American crow, and American robin.

The stream often changed characteristics and improved the farther I got upstream.

And a native brookie typically showed itself in each spot.

I was surprised when no trout hit in the deep area below and to the left of the middle whitewater.

But when I tossed my spinner into the right side of the pool I found out why. After catching mostly little trout, when this wild brown tapped my spinner and began to fight it about took my arm off. I knew I had on the prize of the day from such a tiny stream.

After 6.75 hours I decided to call it a day. My notepad showed 144 trout had been caught and released. It took me 84 minutes to walk back to my SUV and 2.50 hours to drive home. But I had a refreshing day in God's Country.

- Frank Nale -

I can be contacted at [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 02:48 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Road Trip !!!

Nice Frank, I love "God's Country". It has been a few years since I have made a road up to there but ironically I was recently thinking about making it happen again this year. You've fueled my fire for sure.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 12:42 PM

Spectacular! Sitting in my last in-service day of the year right now and then hitting the streams myself! Amazing pics!

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 02:42 PM

If Im not mistaken Frank you post up that same stream each year. Kind of a destination spot for you. Do you fish new streams ever or explore these days? Curious....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003
If Im not mistaken Frank you post up that same stream each year. Kind of a destination spot for you. Do you fish new streams ever or explore these days? Curious....
I fished this stream in 2013 but not in 2014. I have several small streams that I visit in north-central PA.

I occasionally fish new streams but if I drive that far I like to hit a known place first. If it is no good, then I'm more likely to do some exploring, assuming I've taken the time to do my homework and have another stream on the agenda.

My most memorable outing this year so far was on a stream I have never fished before. I enjoy exploring but don't do as much of it as I probably should.

Maybe when I have more time I'll do more exploring. In fact, I intend to. That time is coming soon.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 04:50 PM

Exploring new waters if good for the soul.....especially when those trout have never seen a properly presented spinner before :-).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 01:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Excellent post and pictures, as always. Thank s for sharing

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:57 AM

nice pics

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 06:30 PM

Boy, they sure are some beauties. And I sure do love it up north. Nice pics and I'll have to head up there this summer with the fly rod.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2015, 10:38 PM
The Man

Thanks for sharing! Love those god's country trout! Didn't you post pic's of a bear the last time you fished that gorgeous stream? Love the picture from the top of the mountain, looking over that valley too! That is pure PA trout country at it's finest!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page