new streams - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

new streams

I have about 65 streams in my repertoire and I always try to add to that.

1. Last thursday I fished a stream that has never been surveyed by the PAFBC. I read an article about it from 2012 that describes how many environmental problems this stream has and how devoid of life it is. I hunt and trap along the stream and it just looked too good not to hold trout. I fished it for 30 minutes and got 17 wild brook trout and one brown trout which likely moved up from another stream.

I started at the mouth and worked up about 3/8 of a mile. I will be back to explore farther up that stream soon.

2. I fished this next stream with a friend (Jason) last tuesday. It is a 2 mile hike to the mouth of this steam and I haven't ever fished much past there before. We started fishing at 5:45pm and fished til 8, moving about 1 mile upstream of the mouth where we started. This stream has only held wild fish for 10 years as it suffered from AMD.

Every time we turned a corner or climbed over a boulder there was another "big" hole waiting.

In 2.25 hours I caught 45 and Jason caught 23 which isn't bad for low water. This stream will be a good low water stream for me in the future. The number of deep,long holes will keep it fishable.

Red wins.

White wins.

Jason got the biggest wild fish of the day. It was 14in. To give you a perspective, Jason's hands are so big he could palm an exercise ball.

I caught this nicely finned brown about 3 miles up from the last stocking point and over some waterfalls that seem impassible to fish. This spot is also 3 miles from any type of road access. Makes you wonder how it got there.

Last year I caught a smaller brown near the same location, also up above some big waterfalls. Maybe he grew up? We stopped fishing at 8pm and hiked 80 minutes back to the car. We did not make it there before dark.

Here was the last hole where we turned around.

It went about 75 yards like this around the corner. There are 2 miles of fishable stream above this point that I will be back to soon.

3. After the 3-4" of rain we received in the past 36 hours, I decided to try a stream that I have visually inspected twice but never fished because it is very very small and never had enough water. This stream has also never been surveyed by the PAFBC due to its location. It is 7 miles one way to get there on foot. There are no roads. But, a hiking trail can get you within 2 miles of it. For places like this, I wear my trail running shoes and dry fit pants and run there. It took just under 50 minutes to get there.

It definitely had enough water today.

As I got farther up the stream, the turbidity decreased.

As clouds rolled in, it got so dark that was having a hard time discerning the seams and eddies in the water, making it difficult to cast. The high water made it pretty easy to locate fish though. There were native brookies every place where I casted into soft water.

These next 2 pictures were taken around 9:45am today, but it looks like 9:45pm.

Of course I botched the picture of my biggest fish of the day (14"). It just would not stay still.

I stopped fishing when the fish disappeared. This is also a stream that has recently become healthy enough to support natural reproduction.

They migrate in from the mouth, but have not yet managed to make it up past these falls.

I fished another half hour above these falls without so much as seeing a trout.

This stream totaled 74 trout in 3 hours, but the last half hour was fishing in vain above the falls. Then I ran 7 miles back.

Having the summer off, I have fished 20 days in a row now. I did an earlier post of the first 9 or 10 days, and this post represents the 2nd 10 days. I only caught 622 during the 2nd 10 days because I spent time fishing for other species and had some shorter fishing trips mixed in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 12:11 AM

Re: new streams

Wow! I am impressed!

You've added true adventure to your trout fishing.

Seven miles in to fish a stream is a little beyond my capabilities.

You have some beautiful photographs here.

I think it's highly possible that the brown trout in the photo with the blue pliers is a stocked brown trout. I know it is only one picture, but the pectoral fin screams "stockie" to me. I'd be interested to hear other people's opinion on this, not that it really matters. I always enjoy the native/wild vs. stockie debates.

Those spinners look really nice by the way. Nice design. High quality.

A 14" native brookie is a true trophy. You could go many years and not catch another one that size.

Thanks for taking the time to post your story.

You may want to give the trout a break for a day or two.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

TU has done work adding crushed limestone to the upper reaches of the 2nd stream. They get a gate key from the PAGC to drive in and do that. I guess it is possible that they threw a bucket of browns in there a few years ago when they did that work as I have caught 2 now above some pretty impressive waterfalls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 01:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice looking water and trout. Thanks for taking the time to share the pics and narrative.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 06:33 PM

Awesome fish and nice looking creek. Perfect example on why we should just forget about a stream just because the PF&BC or one source says its a dead stream. Nice work.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.” C.S. Lewis
NRA, UBP, NWTF MEMBER
WCO David Grove, LODD 11/11/10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page