A Weekend of Decent Spinner Fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

A Weekend of Decent Spinner Fishing

A Weekend of Decent Spinner Fishing

During the week leading up to Saturday, June 6, 2015, I was having a hard time deciding where to go fishing with my brother MarkAngler. The water levels on mountain freestone streams were low here in south-central Pennsylvania. On Friday evening I finally decided we'd hit a rather popular section of a rather popular limestone stream at daybreak. The hope was to get in at least four hours or so of undisturbed angling and hopefully catch a pile of trout.

I got up at 3:30 a.m. and met MarkAngler at 5:00 a.m. streamside. From there we walked downstream for about twenty-five minutes before beginning to cast our White Bead Gold spinners.

As has been the case all too often this year, the action was really slow at first. It took sixteen minutes for me to catch my first trout, and much to my consternation, MarkAngler had already warmed up his pencil.

But we don't really do any serious competing. We both know that whoever makes the most casts to the most trouty-looking spots is likely going to come out on top.

We fished until noon, though the last couple hours involved moving around several other anglers. We tallied 108 trout between us. We were pleased considering the conditions.

After we parted ways I drove about an hour to a small freestone mountain stream that I knew would be low, but I had a real itch to fish because the trout are beautiful.

Before beginning to fish I walked down a hollow well away from the stream for about a mile. The ferns smelled great. Hay-scented ferns are one of my favorite smells, right up there with bacon frying, wood smoke, and fresh coffee brewing.

A patch of common wood sorrel caught my eye along the path to the stream.

And of course, the fishing didn't disappoint me though the water was lower than it often is in August on this creek.

A few wild browns were caught, including this 12"er.

It was nice to see a healthy hemlock branch shading a pool where a bank beaver lives. Maybe it won't be shading the stream for long?

My last trout of the day was this 9" native brook trout. I closed the day with 115 trout in 9.50 hours.

On Sunday morning, June 7th, I again got up at 3:30 a.m. and drove in the pre-dawn darkness to another rather popular stretch of a very popular stream.

This time the fishing was actually pretty good, with wild browns coming to hand with regularity.

But the action died before 9:00 a.m. shortly after catching this 14" out-of-place stocked rainbow trout, likely due to the trout seeing some metal recently. After 3.50 hours I had 40 trout. A bald eagle flew past just minutes before I quit and headed elsewhere.

From there I drove to a section of stream I hadn't fished yet this year, and in 3.50 hours caught an additional 49 wild trout.

During the hike back to my SUV a healthy patch of rank-smelling poison hemlock grew along the creek.

By 3:00 p.m. I was ready to begin fishing on a small mountain freestoner that holds a good population of native brookies, but wild browns dominate the stream.

One wild brown after another was fooled by my White Bead Gold spinner.

Despite the low water the stream has a certain beauty to it, with many rocks and logs covered with green moss.

A few cinnamon fern fronds stuck out over the cool water.

In 2.00 hours I caught and released 38 wild trout, giving me 127 trout for the day in 9.00 hours.

Overall it was another pretty decent weekend of trout fishing here in south-central Pennsylvania. We need rain dearly though for the good fishing to continue.

- Frank Nale -

I can be contacted at [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 01:26 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: A Weekend of Decent Spinner Fishing

Great post Frank. Great pictures too! You do know we all know that popular stream right?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
You do know we all know that popular stream right?
Nope. We ALL don't know that popular stream.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:23 AM

You certainly know how to make the best of low water situations Frank. Never really seems to hold you back except under the very worst of conditions which I hope dont find you this summer. 2 - 9+ hour days proves the sort of shape you're in too. That is a lot of fishing. If I tried that with Troutspinner I'd have to call an ambulance to meet us back at the truck after the hike out lol. Well done and keep after them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 12:27 PM

Nice!

Catch-and-Release wild trout.

Summit Park Spinners https://jasonweller20.wixsite.com/summitparkspinners
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutspinner
Great post Frank. Great pictures too! You do know we all know that popular stream right?
Hi troutspinner,

Yes, I think most of you know about this widely popular stream. I just don't like to mention stream names on a public forum. Judging from the number of anglers who now fish there, I think it's pretty well known. It's getting harder and harder to avoid other anglers there. A survey there last year showed it is the most popular stream in the state.

You'll notice that my stream photos rarely show spots other anglers would quickly recognize.

If I had mentioned where I caught the wild tiger trout back in late May, I'm sure the little stream I caught it in would have been overrun with fishermen. That would "ruin" the stream.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Another great photo essay Frank. After reading this I'm now even more anxious to head out tomorrow. And I love the wood sorrel pic, it's always one of the first wild edibles that I teach scouts to identify.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Just having fun with the post Frank. You and I are well aware of what posting a stream or noticeable picture can do to a stream's pressure and continued production.

Trout2003, Agreed! But I have to wonder if ANYONE moves at your pace.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Very nice !!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page