I'll try one...A few trout - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'll try one...A few trout

I started my trout season 10 days ago when school let out (I'm a teacher). I've been trout fishing for about 15 years. I fish 90% of the time with spinners that I make with a red bead after the "Thomas Lure" I grew up using but with a French blade that I learned from people on this site. I fly fish the other 10% of the time. I've put together some highlights. I've been on this site for about 2 years but never posted in the trout section. My old username stopped working so I made a new one. I fished 9 streams for a total of 703 trout. I fish between 3-5 hours each time I go out which allows me to get home early for the "chores".

For the first few days all of the water around me was extremely low so I spent those days on the local big water river. I caught between 30-50 each day on the river. Most were 7-11" rainbows and browns, with 5 surprise tigers mixed in from local club stockings. The biggest tiger was 22".

Last year I caught 7 tigers from the same locations during the same week spanning may-june.

I rarely ever drive more than 45 minutes to fish, but I have been pushing that limit this year. I tried a new stream which held an even mix of wild rainbows and wild browns. I caught 97 here in 4 hours. Here were a few...

This trout actually jumped out of the water to get my spinner when I picked it up out of the log jam after a short retrieve.

This was my favorite new stream that I found thus far this year.

Today, I fished a tiny stream that I've only been to once before. It needed all of the 2" of rain we got yesterday just to be fishable.
It holds nice trout despite its size.

And it gave up my 2nd ever...

After reading about Trout2003's recent wild tiger catch I have been thinking that I may never catch another. There were just over 2100 trout caught between my wild tigers from last season and this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:39 PM

Re: I'll try one...A few trout

Nice! That's definitely a wild one. They've been falling at a good pace this year!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 06:55 PM

Hi EMR!

Welcome aboard.

I enjoyed your photo-essay.

And I thought the wild tiger trout I caught this year was special. Geez, seems like everyone is catching one...you, Trout 2003, and a guy over on the infamous Pennsylvania fly fishing website.

I think I know the river where you are catching those stocked tiger trout. I talked to someone over the weekend who caught a bunch of them.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to post and I look forward to hearing more about your future outings. It will help make this forum interesting.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice EMR! That one tiger picture looks like it has a fang. Now that would make catching them interesting. LOL

Rain was definitely needed. My lawn and garden are thankful!

Thanks for sharing. Hope to hear more as you enjoy your summer vacation.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 11:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

Now that's one heck of a "first post" on the forum. Looking forward to reading more from your adventures this summer.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 11:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:20 AM

Q for those that may know. Is there a fixed gender combo needed to produce a Tiger ? Meaning Brook(F)/Brown(M) or Brook(M)/Brown(F). Beg pardon if it's a dumb question, but I thought I've heard in the past the mix can only be one way. Jest wonderin.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 02:17 PM

Nice!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo
Q for those that may know. Is there a fixed gender combo needed to produce a Tiger ? Meaning Brook(F)/Brown(M) or Brook(M)/Brown(F). Beg pardon if it's a dumb question, but I thought I've heard in the past the mix can only be one way. Jest wonderin.
It takes a male brook trout and a female brown trout to be successful.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 02:26 PM

I carry a kit too....it's called Craig! WITHIN REASON, he has to suck the venom out of me :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page