I started my trout season 10 days ago when school let out (I'm a teacher). I've been trout fishing for about 15 years. I fish 90% of the time with spinners that I make with a red bead after the "Thomas Lure" I grew up using but with a French blade that I learned from people on this site. I fly fish the other 10% of the time. I've put together some highlights. I've been on this site for about 2 years but never posted in the trout section. My old username stopped working so I made a new one. I fished 9 streams for a total of 703 trout. I fish between 3-5 hours each time I go out which allows me to get home early for the "chores".
For the first few days all of the water around me was extremely low so I spent those days on the local big water river. I caught between 30-50 each day on the river. Most were 7-11" rainbows and browns, with 5 surprise tigers mixed in from local club stockings. The biggest tiger was 22".
Last year I caught 7 tigers from the same locations during the same week spanning may-june.
I rarely ever drive more than 45 minutes to fish, but I have been pushing that limit this year. I tried a new stream which held an even mix of wild rainbows and wild browns. I caught 97 here in 4 hours. Here were a few...
This trout actually jumped out of the water to get my spinner when I picked it up out of the log jam after a short retrieve.
This was my favorite new stream that I found thus far this year.
Today, I fished a tiny stream that I've only been to once before. It needed all of the 2" of rain we got yesterday just to be fishable.
It holds nice trout despite its size.
And it gave up my 2nd ever...
After reading about Trout2003's recent wild tiger catch I have been thinking that I may never catch another. There were just over 2100 trout caught between my wild tigers from last season and this one.