200+ Trout and Still Time for 'Moe's'! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

200+ Trout and Still Time for 'Moe's'!

With all the rain we had earlier in the week, combined with how terrible conditions were for the previous month, and finally the uncertainty of rain in the future, I just had…..HAD….to go fishing again today. I could see the USGS gauges dropping and knew waiting till the weekend wasn’t going to be good enough if I wanted top action. It was now or never so I called in another halfer and hit the stream.
I chose a stream that I hadn’t been to in probably 7-8 years. The first time I ever went there I caught a ton of trout but never went back due to water level timing (I’m picky!). Well, the timing was right today! The fishing was fast from the get go and I had 5 trout in the blink of an eye. After 10 trout in 10 minutes I knew that it was just going to be one of those days. By the end of the first hour I have 48 trout brought to hand. Usually hours like that happen in the middle of the day but this day was fast out of the gates. Things tapered down a little (By those standards at least) but by 8:20 I was already reeling in trout number 100. These are the days I dream of for a weekend or a day that I don’t have to work yet they always seem to happen on days I do haha. The pace kept moving and at 10:50am trout number 200 came to hand. Finally at 11am with 211 trout caught and released it was time to take the long walk back to the truck to get to work in time…….but not before I stopped at Moe’s South West Grille for a delicious ‘Stacker’ lunch haha!! Now that’s the way I like to do it!!
The scenery on this stream is outstanding

And the electric red dot browns aren’t too bad either

But the Brookies are UGLY…….not

Some people have the right idea!! I respected their wishes gladly

And who can get enough pictures of streams and trout!?

Little ones bring a smile to my face…..the future!

And even the walk back was pretty awesome. I found a nice quad trail that provided an excellent path.

During the walk I got a good look at 100's and 100's of dead standing oak trees that succumded to the Gypsy Moth over the past decade in this area. These massive mosters of the forest can withstand summer after summer of onslaught but eventually they can't hang on. It's a pretty sad sight when so many 100+ year old trees die.

I wanted to lie down and take a nap on this moss! It was soft as pillow under foot. Mother nature’s carpet.

All in all a great morning. Think I’ll do it again tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 200+ Trout and Still Time for 'Moe's'!

Great post!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 08:59 PM

Thanks for sharing, that is a boat load of trout in that time. Some great pics, those red dots on those browns are awesome and like you said the brookies aren't shabby either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice numbers! That looks very familiar though you and I never made it in that far due to wanting to find better water that day. Amazing what a good rain can do.

I enjoyed everything about your post except the last sentence. . Pure jealousy in my part as I wish I could do the same.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 11:50 PM

I figured you were about due for an incredible day! I wonder what fly fishermen think when they read this? I haven't hit 200 in one day yet this year, and it wouldn't surprise me if I don't. We need rain dearly.

You have some beautiful scenery photos there.

The red-spotted brownies are beautiful. I can't seem to get enough of looking at colorful wild trout and the places they live (as you said).

Around here in south-central PA there are a lot of dead hemlock trees now or ones that are almost dead. Lots of dead ash trees showing up this year too. It's sad to see.

Congratulations on a fine day and thanks for sharing it with us.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 12:05 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Magnificent. Those are the kind of days for which you will remember forever. Incredible scenery.

Potter County-God's Country. Fishing/exploring Northcentral PA since 1981.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

yeah you are not kidding Frank. So far the ash borer has not been identified in Northampton County where I live..... I'm expecting it to happen this summer as its been seen everywhere around us. Hemlocks are still doing okay in this area thus far. Whollies are here so that will change soon. I Sat on rocks resting my back a few times yesterday and just SAT and looked at big ham a fe and mentally took note because I know they won't be there very took It's only a matter of time. Lots of a horrible invasive species out there these days for our most important trees. Luckily brown trout aren't one of them, at least in my book. no worries so as I'm sure some scientist will genetically modify ham locks and ash to defend themselves haha. Just what we need.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 11:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was told once by a fisherman back when we used to fish for wild trout, he always said its bad to touch the fish to with your bare hands, to actually touch them in the water. Does that hold any merit?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2CDeer
I was told once by a fisherman back when we used to fish for wild trout, he always said its bad to touch the fish to with your bare hands, to actually touch them in the water. Does that hold any merit?
In my opinion, not much. I think it is best to always wet your hand before touching the trout, but to unhook a trout while it is still in the water makes it difficult to see the best direction to back out the hook, thereby doing more harm to the trout. I believe wetting your hand lessens the amount of the trout's protective mucus that is removed from a trout during handling. Does a dry hand remove too much mucus? In my opinion, I don't think trout are that fragile.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 12:41 PM
The Man

I just want to know how you guys can work a spinner on a stream that small with 6" of water. I cant fish them on a large stream without getting snagged or not having the blade spin.

You guys have some skills.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page