Trout Issues by Bob Frye - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Trout Issues by Bob Frye

They're the white-tailed deer of the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission's world.
Trout, that is.
They typically generate more discussion than any other species when agency staff and board members meet to talk about rules, regulations, license sales and angler opinions. The commission meeting last week was no different.
A couple of trout-related issues — one involved stocked fish, another wild trout — accounted for much debate.
On the stocked trout front, mentored youth fishing days dominated.
The commission offered two such days: on the Saturday before the regional opening day of trout season in 18 southcentral and southeast Pennsylvania counties, and on the Saturday before opening day across the rest of the state.
On those days, children aged 15 and younger could fish any stocked trout water and keep two fish. Their adult mentor could do the same.
The days are meant to get kids on the water and spark interest in fishing.
“It's hard to imagine there are any downsides to it,” commission executive director John Arway said.
In 2013, when the commission first piloted mentored trout fishing in only a portion of the state, about 5,000 kids registered. This year, that number was about 25,000, said Laurel Anders, head of the commission's bureau of boating and outreach.
Indications are most people support the program, she said.
Surveys of anglers conducted on the mentored days and comments received by phone, email and social media before and after largely were positive, she said. People most liked the exclusive nature of a day as well as that all stocked waters were open to fishing.
Problems were few, said Corey Brichter, head of the commission's bureau of law enforcement.
Waterways conservation officers encountered few people abusing the program, he said. In fact, many officers reported that adult mentors who could have fished legally weren't; they instead were helping kids, he said.
Still, there were complaints.
Some anglers suggested adult mentors shouldn't be allowed to keep fish. Others went further.
Commissioner Glade Squires of Chester County said he heard from a handful of anglers who run cooperative nurseries, raising commission-supplied trout — at their own expense — and stocking them in public waters. They told him they weren't going to stock fish before opening day because they didn't want kids catching them all, Squires said.
The commission shouldn't stand for that, he said.
“This program is an investment in our future. That's how it should be viewed,” he said.
The number of trout creeled statewide by kids and their mentors on those two days “don't make a dent” in what's available for everyone later, he said. If a few cooperative nurseries can't see that and refuse to stock fish for children, the commission should move them to the bottom of the list when it comes to deciding who gets nursery grants, Squires said.
Commissioner Rocco Ali of North Apollo, who said he heard from a handful of co-ops threatening the same thing, said he supports that idea.
“Because that's not the norm,” Ali said.
Commissioner Ed Mascharka of Erie County even suggested the commission might want to reduce the number of trout those clubs get in the future.
The commission will look at all of that and decide what changes, if any, need to be made to the mentored youth program after having internal meetings in the coming weeks, Arway said.
On the wild trout side, the pace at which the agency is protecting fish came under scrutiny.
Prior to 2010, the commission performed surveys on about only 3,000 of the 45,000 streams statewide. Partnering with universities, the commission has been working to get to waters never before sampled through what's known as the unassessed waters initiative.
The result has been a boom in the number of streams classified as wild trout waters.
At last week's meeting, for example, commissioners added 45 new waters to that list. Another 50 or more likely are to go before the board at its July meeting, roughly two dozen of them having been found to be Class A wild trout streams. That means they're the best of the best, said Leroy Young, director of the commission's bureau of fisheries.
The problem is keeping up with those kinds of discoveries.
There are another 600-plus eligible streams awaiting action, Young said. They've been sampled, but reports on the findings haven't been written, and so they've yet to get the additional protection listing carries.
“At this rate, it's going to take us four more years just to clear out what's already done, not even counting what's yet to come,” commissioner Len Lichvar of Somerset County said. “There's got to be a better way.”
Katy Dunlap, eastern water project director for Trout Unlimited, said new circumstances highlight the need for speed.
In the beginning, the unassessed waters initiative focused largely on streams in areas where Marcellus shale gas development was occurring. Now, though, the massive pipelines needed to carry that gas are in the works. Each one can involve dozens, if not hundreds, of stream crossings, she added.
The commission needs to identify and prioritize those streams and get them listed before construction gets rolling, she said.
Arway agreed and said the commission is going to have to factor in the “pipeline dynamic.”
“We've got to take a better look at how we move these forward,” Arway said.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/...#ixzz3a3f7nZwq
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 11:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Trout Issues by Bob Frye

Interesting revelation about a few of the co-ops refusing to stock fish until AFTER the MY day. When the MY debate thread was active it seemed like I was the only one opposed to the program, but now we learn there was a small rebellion going on among a few of the co-ops. The story says the commissioners will discuss the program in the upcoming weeks so maybe we will know soon about what, if any changes are made.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 12:42 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout180
Interesting revelation about a few of the co-ops refusing to stock fish until AFTER the MY day.
Even more interesting to note that the commissioners stated that was not the norm and that they wanted to move those co-ops to the bottom of the list to receive fingerlings, or even eliminate those co-ops altogether from receiving fingerlings.
I think that is a pretty telling statement of how the commissioners view the MY program and are willing to stand behind it as is.
A few weeks ago, I thought there would be changes to the MY program. Now I'm not so sure. I guess we'll see how it plays out.
From a personal standpoint, I think it needs to be a 1:1 youth to mentor fishing ratio and the mentor keeps no fish. Myself, I've taken my 2 1/2 year old son fishing several times this spring and I never take a pole for myself whether it's the MY day or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 10:37 AM
The Man

They're spending time arguing about stuff that isn't important (when the coops stock) and ignoring stuff that is important.

Such as stocking over native brook trout. Both the PFBC and the coop hatcheries stock trout in classic brook trout streams and they should stop that, and stock those hatchery trout in streams and lakes that do not have wild trout.

Then those waters would get more hatchery trout. And the populations would rise on the native brookie streams after they are no longer stocked.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 01:50 PM
The Man

That topic had been discussed by the board...and their decision made.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 02:12 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58
Even more interesting to note that the commissioners stated that was not the norm and that they wanted to move those co-ops to the bottom of the list to receive fingerlings, or even eliminate those co-ops altogether from receiving fingerlings.
I think that is a pretty telling statement of how the commissioners view the MY program and are willing to stand behind it as is.
Right up to the moment they realize they have to pay hatcheries more to make up the deficit, cover costs to mobilize trucks and personnel to cover the stockings missed. It's ALWAYS about the money....nothing else. I'll give a nod to good intentions but they always take a back seat to money.

Personally, I believe the PFBC should stop stocking trout altogether with exception of aiding in natural reproduction like they do with other species. Create low creel limits with a specific size range required to creel. Eliminate "seasons" and then promote the heck out of Pa as being a wild trout resource. It would boost tourism creating income across several industries as well as a premium out of state license and relieve a huge burden on the budget.

Much like the state has done with antler restrictions, I believe taking a "wild" approach to trout fishing would increase natural trout numbers as well as size. While I know that we have streams and lakes that will never support wild trout, those waters can be reserved for private organization stocking, tourneys, etc.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutspinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58
Right up to the moment they realize they have to pay hatcheries more to make up the deficit, cover costs to mobilize trucks and personnel to cover the stockings missed. It's ALWAYS about the money....nothing else. I'll give a nod to good intentions but they always take a back seat to money.

Personally, I believe the PFBC should stop stocking trout altogether with exception of aiding in natural reproduction like they do with other species. Create low creel limits with a specific size range required to creel. Eliminate "seasons" and then promote the heck out of Pa as being a wild trout resource. It would boost tourism creating income across several industries as well as a premium out of state license and relieve a huge burden on the budget.

Much like the state has done with antler restrictions, I believe taking a "wild" approach to trout fishing would increase natural trout numbers as well as size. While I know that we have streams and lakes that will never support wild trout, those waters can be reserved for private organization stocking, tourneys, etc.
...I agree. If a body of water can't support year round, to me it makes no sense to waste money stocking it. Why are we spending money on fish that will be belly up in a few months if they are not caught?

Obama/Biden-Change You Can Believe In If You Feel It's The Government's Job To Provide For You.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 09:44 AM

Agree... The same streams that get stocked with trout in Lanc do not hold the temps in the summer. If more parents took kids out to these streams in summer and the kids got to experience burning spinners and landing smallmouth bass, rock bass and sunnies on small rods - they'd forget all about what a trout is. The best fishing for a kid is not determined by their catch being of trout species but rather number of hook sets.

Wampire - going harder, longer and deeper since 1984.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 11:48 AM
The Man

The streams that have good conditions for year around survival of trout already hold a wild trout population that maintains itself through natural reproduction. There is no need to stock such streams, and doing so reduces the wild trout population.

A stream like Pine Creek is a good place to stock hatchery trout. It's beautiful water with lots of public access. And except for the headwaters above Galeton, it is dependent on stocking to produce trout fishing.

And there are many other examples, throughout the state. As long as there is a hatchery program (and I think that will be a long time), these are the places to stock the hatchery trout. Not on top of wild trout.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page