Bushwhacking and Some Fishing Thrown In - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Bushwhacking and Some Fishing Thrown In

When my friend Matt and I get together for an outing, we tend to skip the convenient “park and fish” streams and jump right to the more difficult streams - typically require a decent hike in and out; and involve some element of risk (insane gradient changes, high density of bears / rattlesnakes, etc.). This past Thursday’s trip was no different.

The first stream we fished was one that has been on both our lists for a couple of years. As we approached the stream on a rough dirt road, the stream looked pretty decent. However, it only took about 50 yards before we realized that almost the entire stream (and banks) was choked with mountain laurel and rhododendron. When I say choked, it was worse than any stream I had ever fished.

One of the easier holes not too far from the road

It was hard to even get an unobstructed picture of the stream

Native brookie from the first stream. I also pulled in 2 of his buddies from the same hole.

A section of “open water”

We were also fishing in a gorge, so the banks of the stream were more like hill sides, which also added a degree of difficulty when trying to move upstream. We hit a lot of “dead ends” due to vegetation, which forced us to turn around to find another trail upstream. Don’t get me wrong, the habitat was pretty decent, but getting a cast into the good holding water was a different story.

The stream bank… The left side looked the same as well.

After a couple hours (and a lot of profanity later) we decided to hike back to the car and move on. I think we both came to the conclusion that this was a “one and done” stream. Check it off the list, but there is no way I’m going back.

We moved on to a second stream, which ran through a state game land. This was another stream that was on both our lists to fish. As we drove towards the drop off point, we passed quite a few trucks moving about (turkey scouting I assume). We parked the cars up and hiked down a steep hillside until we hit the stream. It was not exactly what we were expecting. It was pretty choked and the stream was fragmented into quite a bit of small channels, which made the decent holes few and far between. We definitely did more hiking than fishing on the second, but it was nice to explore a new stream, although I don’t think either of us will be heading back to this stream anytime soon.

I guess you have to fish some tough, unproductive streams to appreciate the good ones. Regardless of how many trout were caught, it was great to get out and explore some beautiful areas in NE Pennsylvania.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 07:11 PM

Re: Bushwhacking and Some Fishing Thrown In

Nice write up! Good pics and story telling. I enjoyed it very much despite the lack of fish catching. I guess that's when you know you did a good job on the writing!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 12:30 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice post. While catching fish is always our goal, enjoying what Pa has to offer is just as great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Are the gaitors for snakes or rocks?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Matt uses the gaitors for protection from snake bites and tears in waders from thorns/brush.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 06:46 PM
The Man

I love mountain stream fishing. But I don't like thick rhododendron.

You are taking the right approach, IMHO. If the rhodo is too thick, just try somewhere else.

Luckily there is a huge mileage of mountain streams that are not socked in with rhodo.

Sometimes even on the same stream. One section can be a rhodo jungle, and another section can have little to none.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I like those challenging streams, the ones most people look at and drive by because of brush, log jams,steep banks etc. As a plus, there's usually little to no trash left strewn around the stream.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 12:39 PM

great pics

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday - John Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page