Fisherman at HunterPark youth section Grove City - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Fisherman at HunterPark youth section Grove City

Hunting is my passion and I am trying to pass that onto my sons, but they like to fish as well. Unfortunately I'm not very good at it and we do mostly pond fishing for bluegills. Tonight my 2 sons wanted to go try and catch trout. We went to the youth section of Wolf Creek in Grove city. They used our poles that we always use with worms on them. My 2 boys ages 9 and 12 fished for a good hour and couldn't get a bite. We could see trout coming up and grabbing bugs at times but they wouldn't hit. My sons were getting a little discouraged.

A young man and his friends were walking past to go downstream and he told us he could see fish in a hole a little further down. He asked what we were using and I told him worms. He pulled a "trout magnet" and little bobber out of his pocket and told me to put it on my youngest son's line, so I did. 5 minutes later my son had his first rainbow, about 12 inches long.

I told him there but I wanted to say it again, to the young fisherman, thank you so much. You'll never know how happy you made my son and how much the memory means to us. Your a class act and it was nice to meet you.

Thanks again
John

Molon Labe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 01:51 AM
The Man

Re: Fisherman at HunterPark youth section Grove City

Awesome story!! Grab some size 12 swivels, 2-4lb leader line, some #8 octopus hooks, and some powerbait, minnows, butter worms or trout spinners and spoons. Tie on a 3'+ leader to the swivel and have at it!! With powerbait put on just enough to float the hook and put a sinker about a foot from the hook.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hunterknapp, thank you, definitely still learning, appreciate it.

Molon Labe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 03:06 AM
The Man

Any time!! Nothing better than seeing kids catch fish!!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:56 AM

Holy crow, 3'+ of leader? That's lots of leader lol. I usually drop about 1' of leader off the swivel, but the less bulky line you have near the bait probably the better. As far as bait goes, what kind of worms were you using? I find that those springy little red worms work great for trout. Also, and this is just me, I don't use any hooks with live bait bigger than #10 for trout. My wife's stepdad was fishing with me once using #4s, and I was using #12s. We were casting within 10 feet of each other in Elton Sportsmen's dam. I caught ~45 trout. He caught none, that is until he switched down hook sizes. #8s may be a reasonable size, I never really tried.

Techniques: maybe you already have this part down, but I figure it can't hurt to tell you. Find places where there are "slack" areas in the current, where the faster water meets the slow water. Trout will lay in that kind of "middle" water to feed b/c it helps them conserve energy. With a spinning rod (or closed-face rod, whatever they are using), pinch on a small splitshot on your leader, maybe two if the current is fast. Find one of those current seams, toss the bait to the top of the seam. Keep as much slack out of the line as possible, and hold the line between your fingers. When a trout hits, you will feel a series of bumps against the line. You may also feel these bumps whenever the bait touches rocks or subsurface debris, so with live bait wait until it bumps a few times in the same spot, then set the hook.

Youtube has an excellent collection of videos on trout fishing, both in lakes and on rivers and streams. I would take a look at some of them if I were you, try to pick up some techniques from there. It's really just something that comes with practice. Good luck to you and your boys with getting started in a great sport!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 12:37 PM
The Man

I use 6' on my noodle rods. Lol. I have seen that when I have the swivel close to the bait or lure the trout will hit the swivel in front of the lure. Just what works for me. I have used #8 octopus hooks for a long while now, 6's too without issue. I have never tried anything bigger than a 6 for trout. #12 trebles work great for minnow rigs and powerbait as well.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:05 PM

I use long leaders on fly rods, usually at least 7'6". I wonder how many trout I have had try to take my swivel? Lol I may have been missing fish for a long time due to that issue. I'll give it a shot next time with 3' leaders.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for all the info guys, appreciate it

Molon Labe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page