First trout on bait in a long time - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
The Man

First trout on bait in a long time

You can read the back story to this fish here:

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthrea...e=1#Post3554046

My son caught this guy the other day and it was his second fish on a fly rod. His first was a 12" hold over bow about 3 4 minutes before. I went to take his picture with the fish on Saturday but my phone was dead. He has been bummed because he wanted to show everyone.

On the way home from work I followed speed racer and had about 5 minutes of extra time. I didn't have my fly rod with me but had my sons push button rod and some wax worms.

I got out an nailed him after about 3 minutes. I am not good with bait tackle anymore but it was nice to feel the line and feel the trout hit. I may switch back for a little while to get good at it again so I can teach my son the same way that I was brought up.

I did feel like a goof with my equipment, but to see how excited he was that he could show his pappy and momma his fish was priceless.

THe trout was somewhere around 15" and has been in the stream for at least a year. It hasn't been stocked since last may.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 05:30 PM

Re: First trout on bait in a long time

Awesome! I too started fishing this year with spinning gear and bait again. I mostly use flies, but it's fun to go back to the way we were taught sometimes too. Nice to see you got him back for some pictures!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 05:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice fish and even better story behind it all mike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks guys. I have no issues with bait. Heck I was the second coming of a bait fishing legend up until 16 when I made the switch. I will admit thought I had awesome teachers in my uncles. I was stringing minnows, and tying my own riggings at age 7 with double hooks. Times I miss it, but I enjoy tying flies, and catching them on my creations, but nothing beats when they pound a minnow.

Just cant get back into it that much. Heck last time my uncle and I fished, we traded off and he used my fly rod and I used his flyrod with automatic reel and minnows.

I got snagged 8 out of 10 casts. LOL the 3' difference in our rods played heck on both of us, as he cursed my rod up and down. We switched back and started catching fish again.

I am debating if I want to restring my old automatic, or get a new spinning outfit.

I just catch more fish with flies, and don't have to deal with nasty dirty hands. I know I am a sis right.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 02:49 AM

Good stuff!!!

FYI...I think the turkey forum is still waiting to hear about your youth hunt....I may have missed it but I know there were a bunch of guys waiting to hear your story of the day! Better hurry or they may make you change your name back! Lol
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I put up the results. Pretty much anything that could go wrong did go wrong. Back to the drawing board

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 12:07 PM

nice fish

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 12:24 PM
The Man

I fish mostly with bait and very little artificial.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page