Your most bizarre day of trout fishing? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Your most bizarre day of trout fishing?

Perhaps this was asked before but do any of you have any really strange story to tell from a day of trout fishing?

Mine occurred many years ago when the limit was still 8. I was fishing Hammer Creek in Lancaster County and had 6 trout on my stringer (the metal kind). I saw no other fishermen around so I left my fish and walked a short distance downstream to try another spot. When I came back for my fish and lifted up my stringer the fish were gone! The hooks on the stringer were still closed but not a piece of flesh on the stringer. After thinking for a moment I came to the conclusion that a snapper must have gotten my fish. Sure enough, a few days later I was at the same creek, same hole and actually spotted a big snapper where I lost my fish. So that was one day I kept my fish and didn't have any to clean. The snapper cleaned them for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 04:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Your most bizarre day of trout fishing?

Ive had some bizarre ones for sure. Fishing a wild trout stream where I have only ever seen a handful of other anglers, walked on some hippies smoking pot and... mating.

Another time, saw a "rough" looking guy waltzing down the edge of the stream, I was wearing full camo and standing on the opposite side of the stream he didnt see me. Anyhow I keep fishing downstream and end up seeing the guy down below me with a flower watering can filling it up in the stream? I figured the guy was upto something so i waited till he came back up the stream, this time he saw me and was really awkward and told me that the crick is posted down a little further and I better be careful if I go down there cause the landowner patrols it yadda yadda yadda. I knew it wasnt, I have fished there a hundred times so I cross the stream and follow his muddy bootprints into swampy area of woods and discover his Marijuana plants lol.

Ive had some other ones too, nothing that strange but plenty of the walking up the stream and coming up on other guys that are quietly fishing and scaring myself, flushing grouse and turkeys, screaming like a little girl seeing snakes, etc.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Regular Visitor

I was fishing Buffalo Creek in Armstrong County. I caught movement behind me out of the corner of my eye. I turned and saw a rabbit swimming across the creek and on the bank was a small gray fox. I yelled and the fox ran back from where he came. The rabbit continued across about 10 feet behind me, got out of the water, shook and ran into the brush I'll never forget that encounter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 05:28 PM
The Man

One time a couple years ago I was getting minnows In the small stream by my house. They stock a few trout in that section in a deep hole. There were two kids fishing there so I stayed below them while getting minnows. They left and a few minutes later come pulling back in. He walks down to the creek with no pole or anything and I see him looking around. He immediately starts yelling at me calling me a thief, so I head to him. Long story short, he is trying to say I stole his stringer with one trout on it. I told him to feel free to check my bucket, truck or myself and I didn't touch it!! (I hadn't even been up there). Well, after a minute of listening to him yell and beat his chest I see a mink running up the bank upstream from us. I head right over there. Anyone wanna guess what was laying in the brush where the mink came out of?? That's right, his stringer with his trout minus a few bites. Lol. I see him around, but have never received an apology.

Had a mink pulling out crappie after crappie last year at cowanesque spillway right across from me. That was a cool one to watch!

Living the life one day at a time.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 06:48 PM

The most bizarre day of trout fishing I had was when I was fishing on the first day of trout and I did not catch a single fish because evidently, due to the YOUTH MENTOR day the weekend before, all the fish were caught and taken. Those darn kids with the 2 fish limit caught all the fish and didn't leave any for ME!!! .....

j/k of course

Previously JJ5C
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 06:53 PM

Oh man JJ, do you HAVE to start that stuff here? Lol I know u were kidding

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:09 PM

I couldn't resist. That post was pretty bizarre.

Previously JJ5C
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:24 PM

Yeah well I can agree there

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterknapp16
Had a mink pulling out crappie after crappie last year at cowanesque spillway right across from me. That was a cool one to watch!
They are amazing at what they do. A buddy and I watched a mink do the same at a small trout hatchery on Falling Spring in Chambersburg.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:22 PM
Part of the Community

Well I have two stories with one being believable the other will start frisky debate on this blog. Both occurred while fishing the Lehigh River near a place called "Hayes Creek".

1. Fished the River during April when I was in College after a fews hours of fishing I had stringered 4 trout. As I was wading the trout started to really pull on the stringer so much so that I pulled it up to check out the stringer and attached to the bottom trout was a 2-3 foot eel trying to eat my trout. Considering the eel was about a foot from me when I pulled it up I jumped a little.

2.) One August between my Junior and Senior Year in High School a friend and I went night fishing to try to catch a few big browns or whatever else was lurking in the deep holes in the river when we had a Big Foot encounter. Scared the wits out of us and we never went back to that section of the stream at night ever again. I'm in my 50's now and the last time I fished that section during the day I felt a little uncomfortable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page