To Mount or Not to Mount - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

To Mount or Not to Mount

Ok, so you are on a popular stocked stream, in a surrounded hole fishing with 15 other guys. You latch into the hole "prize", an enormous Golden Trout. Are you mounting it ? Would it be a "meaningful" catch to you ? How about if you are all alone on a beautiful secluded stream fishing over Native Brook and Wild Browns. You battle a 23" Wild Brown into submission, or entice the most beautiful 13" Native Brook to take a Dry Fly. Do you consider mounting either ?

I know myself, I would consider getting a mount or replica of the Trout caught in the wilder setting. I know they are better served being gently handled and dropped back in the water, BUT, if I were looking for a Trout to stir a memory when I look at it adorning a wall on my man cave, I know it would be the variety born in the stream I caught it in.

There's no right or wrong answers. And I know some folks would be in a total twist for someone even thinking about mounting a Wild/Native, and that's ok too. But to me, those would be the memorable catches. Of course, I do not and would not advocate harvesting wild or native fish as table fare, though, I rarely fish over wild/native fish. It's just not a very opportune way of fishing in SW PA.

In thinking further, a well-positioned photo of the fish in the streamside setting, blown up and framed, would work even better for me. Though I completely stink at taking acceptable photos (it takes practice). Would be cheaper too.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 11:59 AM

Re: To Mount or Not to Mount

No pellet fed fish on my wall unless its a state record. Next steelhead or brown over 16# may be headed for the wall.

I just think the hatchery fish just look bad mounted. Busted nose, worn fins and tails....
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 12:25 PM
Banned

I would rather have a big brownie or brookie mounted then a big golden. For one of my kids, maybe if it was truly huge, but I would rather have a two foot brownie or a big steelhead on my wall...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 12:30 PM
The Man

Pictures are good enough for any fish for me. I thought about getting the big golden mounted, but am not. You should include into your questions, what if the trout was stocked over a month before season and avoided 50 guys for three days before you caught it? Lol. Another reason for getting a stocky mounted could be the memories made by who was with you and time spent on the stream with them, not just about whether or not it was a stocked or wild fish.

Why would a state record stocky be any different than one under a state record?? Lol. Just curious, as they are both pellet heads.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I normally shoot them on my phone and use them for lock screen and background pics.

This is my current lock screen.

And this would be my current background.

Both are on the same native stream that normally doesn't have anyone else on it.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 01:06 PM
The Man

What is a typical cost for trout mounts?
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

My guess is a mount or replica has to be about $150, or pushing $200, depending on various things, size, species ?

The owner of this site I THINK had a replica done of a Brown Trout. It was the most realistic facsimile of a fish I had ever seen. It looked as if it just jumped out of the water.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 01:37 PM
New Arrival

10-15 $inch no more paliminos just golden rainbows or as the fish comm. call them trophy trout
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 01:37 PM

I made myself a promise that the first legal golden I ever catch will get mounted, regardless of size. I do not regret that decision although it was a little more than expected. I don't think I'd do it again though. Maybe a record fish or some other type of fish but not another trout.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 01:42 PM

I have a big stockie brook trout mounted that I caught about 10 years ago. But, I honestly have very little desire to ever get another trout mounted at this time. The only circumstance where I would strongly consider it would be if I accidently killed a big bow, brookie, or brown. The goldens are neat and all, but I don't think I would ever get one mounted.

troutbert, I had a walleye mounted a couple years ago and paid about $12 per inch as I recall and I believe the rates for trout were in the same neighborhood.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page