A real big golden for me. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
The Man

A real big golden for me.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to hit Mill Creek at the big hole that my daughter broke her line on a huge golden the day before. She had tightened her drag completely and as soon as it hit the spoon and started to fight, it popped her 4lb leader. I got a good glimpse of it (the hole is 8-10' deep) and new it was a big fish. I decided to stop and grab a few minnows on the way. I got one real good 3" shiner and a bunch of 2 inch shiners and redfins.

When I got there, the same guy that had been there each day was there. I went down to where my kid had lost it the day before and put on the nice shiner. First cast it followed it to the bank but wouldn't hit. I decided to rehook the minnow through the lip instead of the tail. The Orange submarine disappeared back into the deep after the first follow. The second cast I let it drift down to what I thought was the bottom. On the second twitch a fish hammers it. My drag starts screaming (2lb leader) and it swirls on top. It is the golden!! I play it in, and immediately the guy across the hole says "it had better not he snagged". I land it and immediately show him the hook inside its mouth. His next response is a good one. He says "you mean to tell me I have fished for that fish for three days and can't get it to hit, but you catch him on your second cast??" I asked him "you using a 2lb leader?" He says "no, 8lb is all you need". Lol. I had a chat with him about his attitude and decided she was coming home for my wife's grandfather to eat. Why do people need to act like this just because someone caught a nice fish?? I know we have caught a bunch of beautiful goldens this year, but as far as he knew it could have been my first ever. The one my daughter lost the day before had a spoon hanging out of its dorsal, and this fish didn't have a mark on it, so I think there is most likely another big golden there. People need to understand that these big fish will bite very well if you don't harass them, use a light leader, and don't throw right on top of them!! My wife says no, but I think I might mount this one. It is my biggest trout to date that I have actually weighed.

She came in at 28 1/2" long, 18 3/4" girth and weighed 8lbs 3oz, and has one Heck of a hunch back!!

Sorry for the crooked pic with the finger in the way. My 5yr old was with me (playing with minnows) and she took the picture. Lol.

Living the life one day at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: A real big golden for me.

Darn shame it broke off from your daughter on Saturday. Nice sized fish.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 04:12 PM

Boy are they ugly, sorry I just never got into the whole golden thing....good job

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBruin
Boy are they ugly, sorry I just never got into the whole golden thing....good job
Yeah, those big ones surely are. Lol. You wanna see ugly, you should see the brown that we stocked downstream of here!! It puts this fish to shame, and is beautifully colored, but it is a prehistoric looking thing!! Haha. That one was stocked just below where the girls caught the goldens on opening day.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 05:10 PM

Looks like a hump back whale. You're off to a good start on the year!....other then the undesirables you tend to run into. You've found more drama streamside in the past 2 weeks then I've fond in my entire life haha. Either way, keep on keepin' on!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 05:11 PM

And Goldens are cool! I can't say I like the way people act around them or moreso how they are treated by guys trying to catch them but they sure are a neat novalty. I've never once say a golden that I didn't try to catch. It's always a neat experience.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I usually catch quite a few goldens every year. They seem to love moving baits. I have caught most of mine on spinners and spoons. A few on powerbait, but hey love to chase baits to the bank. Always all kinds of drama on this creek and lake when it comes to any of the big fish. Also always huge drama after the kids trout derby over those monsters too!! Lol.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:12 PM
The Man

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:14 PM

Thats a good un! Thanks for sharing and congrats!

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 11:58 PM
The Man

That's a big one for sure. Congrats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page