Lost it's Luster? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Lost it's Luster?

Has the opening day of trout season lost it's luster? If you noticed on my other post yesterday that I had the fishing spot all to myself. The ride around revealed not much in the way of crowds anywhere. My brother in law was out on his motorcycle yesterday riding around and he told me that it didn't even resemble the first day along some streams. Just a few cars here and there.

I'm sure there were areas somewhere across the state that did have the elbow to elbow fishing like it used to be but not around here.

The horizon is your starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:21 PM

Re: Lost it's Luster?

I saw a fair number of people where I was at but many were not fishing. Just hanging out around the fire ring. I walked right up on a nice hole at 8:10 and pulled out 4 in a row while everyone around just sat there and watched by their tents.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:38 PM
The Man

A lot of people did their "opening day" thing last weekend, on YM day. So weren't so interested this weekend.

I'm not saying that's bad. If the fishing pressure is spread out some, rather than a mob scene, maybe that's a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 08:42 PM

My Son went to Little Mahoning. Not many Guys Fishing and hardly any Fish caught. A lot of complaining about no Fish...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Part of the Community

3 of us got to Montour run around 6:45 and that was still to late to find a decent hole to fish without being rude so we sat around and waited for spots to open up, we stopped fishing around 2:30 and had about 100 fish between the 3 of us and 4 over 20" and lost a couple nice fish...the water dropped a good bit by mid morning and it's still funny to see grown men act like kids fighting for the big golden in the hole but guess that's expected on opening day
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

When we had the SE opener here in Lancaster County two weeks ago there seemed to be quite a few fishermen. Of course my area is densely populated with easily accessible streams. I remember driving by a bridge at 5:30 AM and counting 15 vehicles already parked there. If you just noticed the lack of fishermen this year then maybe the MY day played into it. Perhaps some did treat the MY day as their opener. Maybe a few others didn't go out cause they were concerned some streams might be already fished out. Opening day probably has lost some luster because Pa. now has what amounts to four opening days (2 kids, 2 regular). Not quite as special now as when there was only one opener for everyone.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:43 PM

Guys were lined up Friday around the local trout lake waiting for the opener. Its open to year round fishing. Caught 16 in 3 hours and worked Saturday morning. You couldn't pay me to fish there on the opener.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/YooHoo/Bernice/Lucy
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Howells Run didn't lose any luster, bout 60 cars at the 1 bridge, guys everywhere. I think the MY thing took the edge off for some. Guys I spoke to said, saw a lot of fish taken by adults with kids on the bank.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

depends on the weather and how the fish are hitting most times. have a few poor openers and then alot of the first day fisherman give up fast. the area i fished today was a mob scene on saturday and there are still lots of fish left,even though I only caught 2 I know this because there always are when the waters up and flowing fast. when the waters up and off colored some of them gold fish last well into may.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 01:49 AM
The Man

Mill was crowded yesterday, but with the kids fishing with me, no one seemed to want to stop in the hole we were in. There were at least two more goldens in that hole and a big brown, but when I went by this morning, only one car in the whole section. Fishing was pretty slow, according to everyone that was coming by, lol. No MY's fished this creek, as it was overflowing its banks and chocolate milk colored that day. I didn't fish this morning, but we stopped at an easy access hole for 3 Kids on the way home at about 5:00. Not one person there, but a giant golden still swimming around. He hit my spoon once, but I missed him. Then he hit my daughter's salted minnow she wanted to use. I didn't realize she had played with her reel and tightened the drag up completely. Busted her 4lb leader real quick. He was definitely bigger than the 25 incher she landed yesterday. On a side note, he had a big silver, salmon trolling (looking) spoon hanging out of his dorsal fin. There was hardly a car along the stream this afternoon. Cars were packed yesterday though. Pine creek was pretty packed yesterday too. We fished in between holes with good success.

My buddy said there were as many boats as ever at the lake we usually go to, and land fisherman were normal numbers. This lake is open to year round fishering as well.

Living the life one day at a time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page