Mentored Youth...which one's are the youths? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mentored Youth...which one's are the youths?

Wow...I usually never come to this forum as trout season is not my thing. Trout streams these days are just overcrowded with a bunch of men acting like 5 year olds fighting over a pet trout so I tend to stay away. After reading some of the posts in this forum it seems like it's become a mirror image in here with these MY posts. Don't get me wrong, I see both sides as I have an 11 and 8 year old who both love to fish. They typically do most of their fishing for flatheads and smallmouth but we do take them opening day of trout (regular opening, not MY). I can see where a MY day would be good for kids but I also see how people could be opposed to it. I mean, in one sense, it's a great chance for them to catch 100 fish but on the other, it's not hard to get a kid 100 fish in a day if you put the time in. I guess the point so far is that I don't have a side on this. What I do notice is how it seems that adults and kids have switched roles since this was introduced this year. The kids could care less where they are or how many they catch and act mature and ecstatic to catch even 1 fish while the adults bicker and fight like 4 year old school girls on BOTH sides of this. From the posts I've read it seems like they even attempt to tick the other side off. Is there really a need for "Stole another one from an adult" and "quit being lazy and let your kids catch fish the right way" comments. From the outside looking in I think most all of the kids who went fishing on MY day would have handled this better on the forums than some of the guys who took them. Bottom line is kids caught fish and there were still plenty left. The hole we fished on the regular opening day had 40 trout left in it. and I talked to a coworker who caught 50 yesterday. I also know of plenty of kids who didn't take advantage of the early opener and still caught tons of trout. Is one side right and the other wrong? I say a little of both as neither is 100% right. Regardless of what it is, I think some adults on both sides should take some lessons from some of these fine young kids. They could teach you a thing or two about how to act......

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 06:22 PM

Re: Mentored Youth...which one's are the youths?

How... neutral of you Lol. But I agree with your post, there are good sides and bad sides to the MY, and this entire forum would be better off if we could debate the issue like adults instead of just attempting to torque each other off with "I caught your golden" and "why do YOUR kids deserve to catch fish before me?" I wonder how many people here have ever been on a debate team...

The only thing I have to say is the big argument from the pro-MY guys is that antis are mad b/c kids are going to catch "their" fish. First I would like to say I don't believe for a second that this is the primary motivation for the anti posts. Also, if it is "no big deal" that someone catches someone else's trout, why is it a big deal if your kid doesn't catch a trout b/c someone else caught it on opening day? See, that kind of logic doesn't work in my book. And here I am trying to call an end to these wars...

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #3 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 07:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Touchy subject for sure. I just see it as the progression of hunting and fishing in general or society for that matter. What I mean is, everything needs to be easy or handout these days. The success should lie in the effort put forth not how easy it is to catch a fish.
rd22 likes this.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 09:29 PM

The opportunity to teach a child how to catch their first pellet-head without having to compete with ruthless adults was great. To be jealous or mad about kids having extra opportunities to learn and experience the outdoors is very strange to me.
post #5 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:29 PM

The best news of all.......this topic will be history in about 7-10 days. We'll have a few more MY days ruined my opener post and then it will be a dead subject. Come mid May I'm hitting the waters again and I'll fill this place up with outings cause bo one we wants too lately haha. Funny part is a successful trout outing......nobody cares about. Post up a MY topic and it will be 12 pages in a day. The board LOVES drama!!!
post #6 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003
The best news of all.......this topic will be history in about 7-10 days. We'll have a few more MY days ruined my opener post and then it will be a dead subject. Come mid May I'm hitting the waters again and I'll fill this place up with outings cause bo one we wants too lately haha. Funny part is a successful trout outing......nobody cares about. Post up a MY topic and it will be 12 pages in a day. The board LOVES drama!!!
post #7 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:28 AM
New Arrival

This subject could cause a lockdown in no time. I have my beliefs, and so do the others. Thats life.
post #8 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:30 AM
The Man

This one isn't quite going in the direction yours was.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #9 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:39 AM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterknapp16
This one isn't quite going in the direction yours was.
I made my case. I'm not playing referee, or posting what others want to hear. some people can't handle that. Thats fine with me.
post #10 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:33 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout 2003
Post up a MY topic and it will be 12 pages in a day. The board LOVES drama!!!
You have to admit, it can be pretty fun to stir the pot and sit back and watch the fireworks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page