Mentored Youth Turnout - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Mentored Youth Turnout

For those that fished the mentored youth day, how many people were fishing and were many fish taken?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 01:47 PM

Re: Mentored Youth Turnout

I wasn't out but from what I heard conditions were tough, especially on creeks, and success was pretty limited. Hunterknapp was the only person I heard that really laid into them. I think most caught zero to a few and turnout was low.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I wasn't out either, but I heard there was a high turnout at a local lake but very few fish were caught. From the posts on here it seems turnout was low.

I'm not a big fan of the MY day, but if crowds are low and few fish are actually removed the MY day may be a non issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 03:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

I took my 13 year old out. We picked a small stream near home since I figured most streams would be blown out and I had a commitment later in the morning. We arrived at 8:00 and there was absolutely no one fishing. In fact when we walked over to the creek a guy stopped and reminded me that fishing is not until next weekend. Had to explain what was going on to him. My boy caught two real quick and decided to put them in the bucket to take home and put in the pond. I didn't even bother breaking out the rod. The stream was clear, but very high and fast.

Squirrel, it's what's for dinner.

"OLD SCHOOL", that's how I roll.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 03:24 PM

With most streams blown out we hit the one near us that gets pounded with guys but we knew was fishable. 10 cars at 8 am. Maybe 20 about 9. Last opener I counted 65 at 7:30.

Water was moving fast and it was hard for the kids. With some help about 20 landed for 6 kids. Older kids did better and had to hook and hand off to the younger ones.

most fish caught I saw went back in. Many families just having a good time being out. I would hardly say the area got fished out.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 04:00 PM
The Man

The only reason we were successful was because we went to a lake that was way up and I happened to know where they stack up in those conditions. We saw three adults that had 6 kids total (2 each) and I saw them catch 10-15 once they came down our way. I didn't see them keep any. My girls kept 4, 3 Of them because they most likely would have died. We drove around two trout streams mid day, and at the end of the day and saw zero people. Those two streams were still almost brown and running very high and fast, would have been difficult for any kid or even adult to fish them. Up here if no one catches any in those streams it will be from stocking in mid-late March and the streams overflowing banks for the better part of a month.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:08 PM

Several people out at a lake we went to, but no one was catching fish. Lake was very muddy with all of the rain. A few people fishing the streams but not many. It just wasn't a good day weather wise. It was less people than I expected but I think many didn't know about it in Western PA since this was the first year.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

went to 2 different places only a handful of people at each
but then again it was cold and very windy
I seen 1 trout caught
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 11:40 PM
Part of the Community

Went to Indian lake. Maybe 30 or so people at any given time, but lots of people coming and going. Our 2 daughters caught and released about 25 trout in 3 hours. 1 fish kept because death hooked. Probably saw 50 or so fish kept in the 3 hours we were there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page