some fun on the NY opener - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
The Man

some fun on the NY opener

On Tuesday night my buddy from work that lives in NY messaged me and said I should grab my NY license and hit Catherine creek near Watkins Glen with him. I thought about it for a couple of seconds and realized I hadn't fished NY in a few years and it sounded like fun. I ran to Wal-Mart in NY and grabbed my license at about 10pm, and while in line had the guy in front of me run my foot over with his electric ride on cart. Lol. We were at my buddies favorite spot by 5am and waiting for 6:50 (sunrise) to start fishing. We had two excellent people come down a few minutes after us and sit down by the hole. After getting to know them over the course of the next two hours, they were great people to get to fish by. It was a 76yr old with cancer fishing with his son that is from New Hampshire. There were people fishing by 6:30, but I wasn't having anything to do with that. The four of us covered the hole pretty good. Water was murky so you couldn't see any fish, which was a good thing. On his first cast the old man hooked up instantly with a little 16 inch rainbow and it was actually exactly what he was looking for to take home. Up there it is a three fish limit, but only one can be rainbow and a 15" size limit. He walked back to put it on his stringer in a little water puddle behind us and unbelievably, with his stuff still sitting on the bank, five guys run over and start fishing his spot!!!! I couldn't believe it. Well, he walks over, grabs his stuff, and say "I don't need this spot anyway boys", and walked down stream below me and proceeded to catch three more in about 30 minutes while those "boys" didn't get a thing. Lol. Karma at its best!! Myself and my friend had an excellent day. We had landed twelve (all rainbows) by 10am and released all. We went and grabbed lunch during the lull and went back at about 1pm. We fished for two more hours and landed a couple more trout, and I decided to keep the last one I caught, a nice little 24", 5lb 2oz male. It was the second smallest one of the day but looked tasty!! Lol. I can't believe what those guys up there get away with. They are snagging machines.... I mean "lifting". I am happy to say that every one we landed but one was caught in the mouth, and I mean inside the mouth, and bit. I just don't get the point of them letting it drift into the hole and setting the hook when it gets to the place where trout will be. If you just let it drift through the hole the trout will actually bite it!!!! Lol. We caught more than the "lifters" around us by letting them bite. The one that I foul hooked, I have no idea why. My line drifted through the hole and thumped real good and I set the hook and thought I had a monster on. Wrong, it was hooked in the tail. Don't know if she had bumped my line, or another fish had hit and I missed it and she was beside it or what, but I pulled her up and popped the hook out without removing her from the water. We only grabbed pics of a couple to minimize stress on the fish, so here are a couple of pics.

You can't really use lures in the finger lakes tributaries because you are limited to a single hook with one single point, and your weight has to be a certain distance from your hook.

My first of the day. A pretty male.

My first female of the day. These fish were all fresh into the stream and still really bright and silver.

The last one of the day, and the one I kept.

And this gorgeous, big 8-10lb male my buddy caught and released. I would have had a tough time releasing him. Lol.

Living the life one day at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 03:57 PM

Re: some fun on the NY opener

Looks like a great day! I grew up within a minute of the creek. Spent hours no days watching the fish all spring till the openers. Dont think I ever went to school on 4/1.

Some years the fish were high up the streams other times down low was the spot. Always fun to watch them in the small feeder streams. a ten pound trout in a stream you could step over is something to see.

My favorite time to fish was fall. Hooking a ten pound atlantic or brown all colored up is unreal. Most often without anyone else in sight.

Where abouts did you guys fish?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 06:59 PM

Never Misses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Part of the Community

Beautiful fish!!! I have not fished New York since they took the salmon snagging out in the early 90s! However, steelehead fishing in Erie is one of my favorite times! Keep ripping their lips off, it is a long time until fox season comes back!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
The Man

And yes, I know, these are "steelheads". Lol.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook Trout
Beautiful fish!!! I have not fished New York since they took the salmon snagging out in the early 90s! However, steelehead fishing in Erie is one of my favorite times! Keep ripping their lips off, it is a long time until fox season comes back!
Tell me about it!! I'm sort of sad when deer season ends, I hate furbearer ending!! Lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page