Whats your opening day tradition? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Whats your opening day tradition?

I go to the same stream every year unless circumstances beyond my control prevent me from doing so. It's Shohola Falls in Pike co. I go to the same hole and stand on one of two large rocks next to the hole. Its not the best trout stream by any means but I have been going there since I was a kid and it has become some what of a tradition. I am not the only one either. I can already tell you who will be fishing there and probably tell you where they will be on the stream. Its where I caught my first opening day trout and its where I caught my first limit of trout when the limit used to be 8. I know every ripple, whirl pool, under cut rock, and eddy like the back of my hand. There is really no sport in going there but I just don't feel right if I don't. I do know of some excellent trout streams that have an abundance of wild and native fish but I save those for later in the season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 02:30 PM

Re: Whats your opening day tradition?

Me and my buddy go all over Chambersburg stream hopping to fish and then go to the Cottage for wings and beers to finish the day out. Its something we look forward to every year....

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 03:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My opening day tradition is not to go out. Way too much going on stream side for me to get any kind of enjoyment out of it here in the south east. Around mid week after opening Saturday is a lot more enjoyable IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

I start at the same spot that i have for the last 9 years or so. Not much for good fishin but thats where my buddy and i always started before he died. Ill stay there for an hour and then stomp down a few miles, back memory lane.

Dont knock it till you've tried it
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 04:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've been going to the same stream for the last 25 years for the opener. They apparently stopped stocking the stretch that I normally fish two years ago, so I'll probably have to venture to one of the other sections of the stream this year. Normally I go for the camaraderie of seeing the same people year after year, but most of those people completely skipped last year after the section didn't get stocked the previous year. I thought about ending the tradition this year, but my brother-in-law talked me into for at least one more year. If nothing else, it beats a day at work.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

I fish every opening day with my Dad. We usually stay relatively close to home, for the opener.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 10:03 PM

I sit on my computer and whine about the crowds

Really, I don't have a tradition. Sometimes I fish a stream, sometimes a lake. Sometimes I stay home and sometimes I go crappie fishing.

I have started a new tradition with my boys though. Since many or possibly most lakes are open year round now, we c&r the week before the season opens. I don't care to eat trout anyway.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/YooHoo/Bernice/Lucy
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:12 AM
The Man

It's been hard for me to have an opening day tradition. Some years I work, some years I don't. Depending on weather and water conditions, some years I go to camp and some years I stay around home.
I don't look forward to opening day like some people do. Honestly, it's probably the worst fishing day of the year.
But with my son 2 years old now, I am looking to start a tradition for him because I remember how much of a big deal it was to me when I was a kid.
I am finishing up my last two midnight shifts on our opening weekend. Probably hit a local stream for around two hours on Saturday and the same on Sunday. Then come home and sleep for a few hours.
Heading to camp Sunday afternoon to fish that evening through Wednesday morning. I always enjoy fishing at camp through the week opening week. Not many people around. The weather is usually the craps. It's cold and the water is usually high. But I love it. Expecially after this winter. Can't wait to get out and get after them.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:33 AM
The Man

Did opening day in the Pocono's for years, then started hitting Potter Co. for the opener.
Got to the point where the weather and water levels were to Iffy to warrant traveling that far even though I always love to go to Camp.
I do a week in Potter in May for Trout and Turkey, the weather is much better, no crowds and the fishing is Great.
I'll hit a local stream Sunday but will avoid the opener here in S.E. Pa.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've always went to the yellow breeches with my dad and will do the same tomArrow!

2015 success
3 doe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page