Youth season regs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Youth season regs

I assumed it was 1/1 but upon reviewing the regulations there is no limit to how many adults can fish with one youth or how many youth can fish with one adult.

On the Fish website, all it says is Fish encourages families to fish on this youth day and discourages large numbers of adults to fish with kids or a few adults to take youth groups fishing.

Without specific regulations, like we have in youth hunting, how is this being enforced for potential abuse? Maybe I am missing something in the regs?

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 02:01 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Youth season regs

I'm a new member here and I'm opposed to this program, especially as it is now written. I may totally explain why later. But to address your post, it is true that it does not have to be 1/1. The PFBC simply says 1/1 is best for mentoring but never makes it a rule. So father and child can invite older brother or sister, grandpa, and maybe an uncle to come along. You could have 3 or 4 people fishing with a kid. One problem with making the program statewide is that there are just not enough WCO's to closely monitor things and make sure nobody is abusing the privilege. Even so, I doubt if a WCO would make any adult(especially a relative) fishing with a child leave anyway.
post #3 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:09 PM
New Arrival

I agree completley. I am all about giving.the youth a chance to enjoy the sport but allowing adults to fish defeats the purpose IMO. Sadly, i think allowing it is the only way some fathers will take there children. In my area they stocked frozen streams forcing them feed as many as 10-12 buckets in one hole. Watched 8 fish over 20 inches go under one bridge lol i suspect many adults will sieze the chance to snag fish catch everything big and yellow they can. For most it wont be about the kids and just about an adults chance to fish with less pressure. Hopefully weekend high water spreads em out gives em a chance to survive. Sometimes my local streams can get fished out aefully quick so it should be interesting with all the fish piled on one another
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Without any specific regs, 3 "family members" could be fishing with the kid and creeling fish.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 02:29 PM
New Arrival

As with anything new or on a trial basis im sure after some reports they will amend the laws. Im lucky to have a large group of friends with young children and since none of there fathers plan to fish anyway we will all be keeping the watchful eye. Its ashame im only 29 and can barley keep a trout anymore while i watch 40+ yr old men fight over fish like they have been growing it themselves. N them darn paliminos i wont even fish for them anymore because they seem to bring the riff raff to any hole there in. I like the concept of youth day esp. Since there is no kid section in my local stream which i think is obsurd. . . Idk perhaps i am bitter over a family member ive watched abuse mentored youth hunting, i cant prove he has but his son seems to know nothing when hes with me but is killing gobblers n 120 inch buck with a bow at 5 yrs old just doesnt sit right with me. But to each his own they never ever catch them all even the cheaters and if it gives a young man a chance to catch a big one id rather watch that then catch one myself anyday.
post #6 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 02:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It is this exact rule why my group will be fishing mentored day instead of waiting on the actual opening day.

In my group, we always bring our kids opening day. Crazy right, we never needed a "kids" day to get our kids involved. With the exception of 2 guys who either have kids too old or one that has a kid too young, the rest of us have plenty of kids to spread around to them so the numbers work out. None of us creel any more except for letting the kids take a couple home so the limits have no affect to us either.

It will however give us older guys the ability to hook, play, land and possibly kill at least a hundred trout and that will negatively impact the following weeks opener. A bad opener for fisherman who purchase licenses for just the opener or occasional stocked season could decrease license sales in years to come.
post #7 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 03:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

IMO if kids aren't getting interested in fishing it ISN'T because there are not enough opportunities. We have kids trout rodeos, kids sections on some trout streams, sportsman club ponds, fee-fishing waters, and regular opening day. The morning after In-Season stockings would also be a great time to take a kid. Some kids don't even care what species of fish they catch. They'd be happy at the local sunfish pond. If kids that grow up in a fishing family do not go fishing it's either because the parents have done a poor job raising them or the kid just doesn't have fishing in them. I am one who believes that the only real fair way to start a trout season is to have everyone start together. 53% of the trout get stocked for opening day so I think ALL fisherman that buy a license and pay for those fish should get first crack at them together. Some parents may call me selfish but I think the selfish people are some parents who only care if they and their child have a good time on the MY day and don't care what things are like for those that follow a week later.
post #8 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 06:05 PM

Ughhhhh. I've tried so hard to accept this mentor thing but hearing this makes me want to puke in my mouth. I'm officially off board again. One adult should be able to take as many youths as they want but 5 adults should not be able to take one youth. OF COURSE this is going to get abuse in locations. I mean, c'mon! Is it really that tough to just have a stinkin' youth day where only the kids can fish???? At this point I'm just praying that the creeks are totally blow to heck and back with high water and the whole thing is washed out. Let he kids come back in a week and get 'interested' like the rest of us did. Or just go back to playing your stupid video games......
post #9 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 06:05 PM

Hahahaha....I sound like a grumpy old man!
post #10 of 181 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 06:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The posters should be along anytime to call you greedy and selfish because you don't like MY the way it is set up.I think getting youth into fishing is great but I've said it before and I'll say it again there is no reason the adults should be fishing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page