Looking for starter fly fishing help!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Looking for starter fly fishing help!!!

I'm looking to get into fly fishing I never really got serious about trying it out im a big time conventional guy love walking the creeks and streams rubbings spinners and trout magnets!! I am looking for help and suggestions on a good decent quality setup I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars for a rod and reel setup but I also don't want junk any help would be great!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Re: Looking for starter fly fishing help!!!

Running*
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i just started this year and i have the cabela wind river series. Its a solid starter rod. get the 4 or 5 wt and it come sith backing, fly line and leader. give it a look.

United Bowhunters of PA

Hunting isn't a hobby, its a lifestyle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Okay I'll check it out I looked at the LL bean streamline ultra also
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 08:28 PM

Cortland makes a great starter kit. Steer clear of anything by Pflueger. Most of the Walmart variety ones are junk. For PA streams the 8'-0" 5wt is the can't miss set up. Don't go too small becaus it will limit castability.

Only the owners of a GSP would truly understand, "If I fits, I sits".
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 03:46 AM
Frequent Contributor

Sent ya a pm I have a 5 wt orvis rod & reel and a box of about 100 - 150 orvis made bead heads I'd like get rid of .
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 11:55 AM

I'd recommend that you avoid just about any pre-packaged outfit that you find at the big box stores. In general they are pretty low quality and come with junk line.

I'm assuming that this setup will be exclusively for trout and with that in mind, there really isn't a need to splurge on the reel since it will be merely holding line for you. Your money will be better spent on a quality rod and good line. Cabelas, Reddington, Echo, St Croix and TFO all make pretty decent, affordable rods and usually you can buy them in a combo that comes with a cheap Cabelas Reel and decent line. If you keep an eye out for sales, you should be able to find a pretty nice setup in the $150 range.

As far as the length and weight of the rod, that should be based on the type of fishing you plan to do. If you will be spending most of your time on typical stocked streams drifting nymphs, a 4wt will be perfect. If you are going to be fishing bigger water and/or fishing lots of streamers, a 5wt would be a better choice. As a general rule of thumb, the longer the rod, the easier it will be to cast and manage line, but there are obviously limitations with fishing a longer rod on a smaller stream. I've always considered an 8'-9' 4wt to be the ideal all purpose trout rod in PA.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 10:45 PM
New Arrival

Echo Carbon/Cabela's RLS+ Fly Combo. This is a great starter combo. check it out!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Others have given solid advice on fly rod/reel starter outfits (my first two setups were a LL Bean combo & then a Cabelas combo.) I will give some advice on fly selection. First and foremost keep it simple. As a beginner it is much more important to learn basic casting & presentation skills than to match the hatch. There are no more than a half-dozen fly patterns necessary to catch plenty of fish on. Right now, more important is to develop casting skills and learn to observe the water for current seams and drift and feeding patterns of fish. Just quietly observing the water for a few minutes before ever casting can help you catch more fish.

The big difference between casting a spinning rod and moving to a flyrod is to learn to slow down & shorten your casting stroke. A basic 10 & 2 stroke, letting the rod and line work for you. In spinfishing, the weight of the lure propels the line and thus a stronger, quicker stroke is needed. In flyfishing, the weight of the line and length & flex of the rod propels the fly. A bit slower, more graceful stroke is required.

The basic patterns & sizes you'll likely want for your first season or two are: Beadhead Black woolly bugger (#6,#8), Beadhead Hare's Ear nymph (#14,#16,#18), Adams dry fly (#14,#16), Elk Hair Caddis dry fly (#14,#16), Beadhead Prince nymph (#14,#16), Ant (#14,#16)

Catch fish on those and then slowly begin to expand from there. Perhaps one of the first match the hatch patterns to try would be the Sulphur dry (#14,#16,#18). They tend to hatch late afternoon and evenings from about mid-May to mid-June. By that time you will likely be proficient enough to fish this hatch with some success. Another fun one is the Isonychia or Slate Drake. It's a big fly (#10,#12) that hatches in mid to late June and then again in late August, September. It's not a big hatch, the flies tend to trickle off the water throughout the afternoon but the fish tend to take this fly aggressively.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 11:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think the st Croix Rio Santo combo is one of the best bangs for your buck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page