New Delayed Harvest Regulations? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

New Delayed Harvest Regulations?

I saw in a couple week old paper that the PF&BC are considering or already have made changes to delayed harvest areas.

The changes that I remember are increasing the harvesting season, lowering the size limit, allowing BAIT to be used during the harvesting season, and allowing kids to use BAIT all year.

I am not a fan of any of it. Especially allowing kids to use bait all year. They said it was to promote more "family fishing" opportunities and kids often learn to fish with bait. I think there are plenty of family fishing opportunities already. I think using bait in the non harvesting portions of the season is going to lead to quite a few dead fish.

I think there could be plenty of family fishing time teaching little Timmy to use flies in delayed harvest streams instead of having him rip a fishes guts out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 12:19 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: New Delayed Harvest Regulations?

I haven't heard this but i am on the same page as you. let the DHALO areas alone, makes for some nice fishing in the summer when other areas are fished hard. i rarely keep trout as it is, but never from a DHALO area.

Dont knock it till you've tried it
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 12:36 AM

Agreed. I would say that if parents are serious about getting kids involved they should teach them to abide by the requirements of the waters in a given area. If kids learn better with bait, so be it. There are plenty of areas where kids can use bait. This will just lead to more crowded areas and overfishing IMO. Let the "you hate kids" comments ensue...

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 01:51 AM
The Man

Also, the date when harvest is allowed would be changed from June 15 to the Saturday before Memorial Day.

Which in some years can be as early as May 23.

Just in time for the Memorial Day weekend, when the DH areas are already very busy with people enjoying C&R fishing, they want to add a new user group, trying to remove as many of the trout as possible.

That will cause conflicts in the already crowded DH areas.

Don't just discuss it here. Let the PFBC know your opinion. I have, and others are doing the same.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

As I have said before, in recent years, our fish (and game for that matter) agencies sure have been watering down regs in attempts to recruit. Information boom and generation NOW are the issue, IMO.

Truthfully, DHALO areas can't sustain measurable wild populations in the first place so when they are harvested has little meaning though it's nice for some to hit these areas later in the year and have decent fishing. Again, allowing bait isn't effecting much in terms of long term trout populations but the principals of it and the perceived benefit from it, seem quite silly. Desperate measures.

It's a good spot. Just not today.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 11:45 AM

Ya, the push against this new reg has been HUGE but I still think it's going to go through with it. The commissioners these days are all about increased opportunity to harvest stocked fish at all costs. They miss the value of catch and release even if it means a fish could perish in the stream. A stocked trout doesn't have to end up in a freezer for it to be a worth while endevour to be grown and stocked.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I dont agree with this change but I also see it being passed. There push for future license sells are huge right now and anything they think will help in that I think will get passed.

I fish a few dhalo streams every year, early in the season when they stock is really good fishing, After that the banks become littered with bait containers and empty hook packs.

Im not against bait fishing, At times I fish with bait as well, And there are plenty of streams for me to do that on, There is no need to change the regs on dhalo sections, They are such a small amount of water as it is. I enjoy going to them yearly but if this change occurs I could see me spending less time on them, Im sure alot of other people would also stop going to them.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 02:06 PM

You're last paragraph nails it. You can bait fish anywhere. There's no need at all to muddle this thing up. I dont really mind the early harvest because I dont see a ton of harvest there to begin with. The bait fishing thing is a stickler to me though.....and I almost never bait fish or fish DH areas. I just like the idea of guys having those places set aside for them.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 02:36 PM
New Arrival

I wonder if the fly fishing only areas are next?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

A lot of the old fly only areas are now artificial lure. Why can't things just be left alone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page