A Mid-Winter Break - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

A Mid-Winter Break

A Mid-Winter Break

The forecast looked good for Sunday, February 8th, 2015. The low overnight temperature was expected to be about 32-degrees, followed by a cloudy day with a high in the low 40's. There was a chance of light rain late in the day. Perfect for winter angling, I thought as I loaded my gear into my SUV on Saturday evening.

I arrived at my streamside parking spot at 6:20 a.m. Snow had been plowed there and was as high as the hood of my vehicle. As I walked down the path in the dark to the stream the snow depth varied from very little on the south-facing slopes to a good snowpack of up to 8" in the protected areas. It took me a little over one-half hour to reach my starting point.

Much to my dismay, the stream was quite low and the rocks were covered with dead algae.

I was glad though that it looked like winter. My previous outing in early January seemed more like a late autumn outing than a winter adventure.

Not many trout were out feeding. The air temperature was 28-degrees and the water temperature was a degree colder than I had hoped at 41-degrees. Occasionally a wild brown trout would nail my homemade White Bead Gold spinner, but interested trout were few and far between. I had to remove the algae from my #10 treble hook after nearly every retrieve.

Muskrats have been working over this felled treetop.

It was nice to see some green aquatic weeds surviving the winter. I fished this first destination for 4.00 hours and landed just 21 wild browns, the longest being 12.5". I felt this was sub-par, but still not terrible for winter angling.

I had convinced myself that another stream would be warmer and much better, but an hour there in 47-degree water produced just one 12" wild brown, though I had two others get off at my feet. With a total of 22 trout in 5.00 hours, the journey back to my SUV in the slippery snow seemed kind of lonely.

But my spirits usually rise when I get to another stream or stream section, and I quickly forget about the slow action of the past. Besides, my experience with winter angling is that the afternoon is often the best time of the day assuming no other anglers have braved the cold and disturbed the trout before I arrive. At this stop the water temperature was 44-degrees and the air temperature was 40-degrees. No rain had fallen which can make winter angling miserable.

As hoped, the trout were out and didn't disappoint me. Soon after starting this 14.5"er attacked my spinner.

It was quite muscular and clearly has been eating well this winter.

For 2.75 hours I cast to each trouty-looking spot. One pool yielded browns of 11.5", 11.5", 12", and 12.5" without me moving my feet. This plump 13"er put up quite a tussle. Thirty-two trout were landed, twenty-three of which were 10" or longer, giving me 54 in 7.75 hours for the day. I thought this was pretty good for a mid-winter break in the weather.

- Frank Nale -

I can be contacted at [email protected].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: A Mid-Winter Break

Awesome pictures! Beautiful trout also.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great pictures and narration! Really enjoy your posts.

For my own piece of mind, isn't that tree picture of the chewed off bark done by beavers, instead of muskrats?

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 01:23 AM
The Man

Nice outing Frank!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 03:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Not too shabby of an outing there Frank considering the time of year and temps.

I usually find late February as the time I "have" to get out and scratch the Winter's itch. This thread is definitely contributing to the itch.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 03:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

Great pictorial Frank. Looks like you did quite well for this time of year. I plan on getting out soon.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahoytman

For my own piece of mind, isn't that tree picture of the chewed off bark done by beavers, instead of muskrats?
Definitely muskrats, though I too used to think it was from beavers. I've seen this same thing on streams that without a doubt do not have beavers. The chew marks do not look like beavers either.

I can be contacted at [email protected].
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:23 PM
The Man

Gotta love it. Thanks for sharing!

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTroutAngler
Quote:
Originally Posted by pahoytman

Thanks for the answer to satisfy my curiosity. I am down here at the bottome end of PA close to Maryland line and all my years fishing and trapping never took notice to muskrats feeding on bark. May be that the northern tier muskrats are more limited on their food choices.
Definitely muskrats, though I too used to think it was from beavers. I've seen this same thing on streams that without a doubt do not have beavers. The chew marks do not look like beavers either.
Thanks for the answer to satisfy my curiosity. I am down here at the bottome end of PA close to Maryland line and all my years fishing and trapping never took notice to muskrats feeding on bark. May be that the northern tier muskrats are more limited on their food choices.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 01:39 PM

Very cool. While I was out hunting on Saturday I'll admit that I thought once if you were out in those above average temp. Way to bounce around and finally find what it was that you were looking for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page