The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Pigeon shoot ban bill will not make it this year.

30K views 153 replies 35 participants last post by  Dale Sholder 
#1 ·
Just read where the pigeon shoot ban bill will not make it through the process this year. The antis will be gearing up to get it reintroduced next year. Remain vigilant.

#5 ·
Never understood the pigeon shoot myself. I am all for it, if they eat them, and dont get wasted, but just to kill ? I have seen the videos of the dying and dead birds on a pile, just dont get it at all. I ate them before with doves and they tasted the same.

#6 ·
Pigeon shots have NOTHING to do with sport hunting or the scientific management of game species. This topic needs to be moved to the universal forum or killed. John S, take this issue elsewhere as it does not belong in a "general hunting" forum.

WV Gino

#11 ·
For someone who is against "canned hunts" this guy has no problem with a box of birds being left out with shooters at the ready.

Can you tell me what the difference is.
Sure. "Canned hunts" are passed off as hunting, but most only have a problem when the "can" is too small, like say, 30 acres and the "prey" is released from a pen to be "hunted".

And not so much of a problem, if the "can" happens to be a high fence preserve of maybe hundreds of acres, with free-roaming critters. Not everyone is on the same page, when it comes to "pay to hunt" operations. Just like we're not all on the same page when it comes to additional Sunday hunting; Killing does; Mentored Youth Hunting; xbows inclusion; inlines after Christmas, etc.

Live bird shoots are just that: People shoot live birds released for the purpose of being shot.

The only connection with hunting, is that those working to abolish live bird shoots via legislation, also want all sport hunting/trapping abolished, as well.

Many hunters comprehend that connection, therefore they oppose the abolition of live bird shoots, because they realize that banning live bird shoots amounts to giving HSUS their initial victory in PA. Their stated goal, is the end of all sport hunting, so why serve their interests by supporting them on live bird shoots?

Hope that helped a bit?

#12 ·
DennyF said:
For someone who is against "canned hunts" this guy has no problem with a box of birds being left out with shooters at the ready.

Can you tell me what the difference is.
Sure. "Canned hunts" are passed off as hunting, but most only have a problem when the "can" is too small, like say, 30 acres and the "prey" is released from a pen to be "hunted".

And not so much of a problem, if the "can" happens to be a high fence preserve of maybe hundreds of acres, with free-roaming critters. Not everyone is on the same page, when it comes to "pay to hunt" operations. Just like we're not all on the same page when it comes to additional Sunday hunting; Killing does; Mentored Youth Hunting; xbows inclusion; inlines after Christmas, etc.

Live bird shoots are just that: People shoot live birds released for the purpose of being shot.

The only connection with hunting, is that those working to abolish live bird shoots via legislation, also want all sport hunting/trapping abolished, as well.

Many hunters comprehend that connection, therefore they oppose the abolition of live bird shoots, because they realize that banning live bird shoots amounts to giving HSUS their initial victory in PA. Their stated goal, is the end of all sport hunting, so why serve their interests by supporting them on live bird shoots?

Hope that helped a bit?
SPOT on !!!

Besides............anybody with a barn in the country knows that pigeons have but one useful purpose.........getting shot by any means available.

#13 ·
i get the whole "foot in the door for the anti's" analogy, but how these ridiculous displays of animal cruelty can go on is beyond me. i have the same feelings toward these high fence operations. theres one near my camp near everett that you can ride past and see huge elk bedding alongside huge whitetails 50 yards from the fence. the place looks like a really nice zoo. these operations are all fuel for the anti-hunters and a disgusting statement of where "hunting" is going for people with more money than inititative. i say they all should be banned. and not by the anti's either. by the PGC.

#14 ·
My point was that this person is opposed to any type of fenced hunting but can say that shooting a bird that comes out of a box while you are standing there waiting. This type of shooting is WAY worse then a preserve hunt.

I have no problem with any type of hunting(shooting)as long as it is legal.

#15 ·
You are way off base. I never said fences preserves should be banned, I have said they aren't for me. If you want to be critical, be truthful. You can sit around and wax about how you as a hunter are better than a pigeon shooter because you have a sense that it isn't fai shooting a pigeon flying out of a trap, of curse you have never done it and you would be humiliated if you tried. However, you may be willing to conceed someone elses sport to the enemy and live bird shoots are sport shooting, I will not. They won't stop going after hunters because some hunters took thier side on an issue.

#16 ·
the people fighting against this are the same ones that had fox hunting banned in the UK, and leg hold traps in new jersey. and countless other sports outdoorsman loved and lossed.

if you think this pigeon in a box shooting is their only target your crazy. they also dont like you going to a pheasent and chukar shooting presereve and letting birds out of a crate to shoot. witch will fall under the same ban as these pigeons.

these crying puppy commercials are even getting to hunters these days.

#17 ·
hunter4095 said:
if you think this pigeon in a box shooting is their only target your crazy. they also dont like you going to a pheasent and chukar shooting presereve and letting birds out of a crate to shoot. witch will fall under the same ban as these pigeons.
Yep. That would be the next target if this bills moves.

As hunters continue to lose thier voice, which we are with decreasing numbers, it will be extrememly important for those of us left to unite on all of these issues affecting us.

#22 ·
John S said:
Sadly, they are eroding the ground, high or not, out from under their own feet and don't realize it in the zeal claim that high ground.
Your fear is misplaced John. We went through this before in my thread on this bill. The biggest problem we face in PA is not anti hunters, but ourselves. We align the hunting tradition with a non hunting "sport", we fail to get support for tougher trespass law, we don't yet have in place a constitutional amendment for right to hunt, we lose hunters at the hands of environmental management, we push unpopular legislation further dividing hunters, we anger private landowners further diminishing huntable land....etc etc...

You, and others, put too much on the antis and not enough on ourselves. Sportsmen Policing Our Ranks Together. Some of you seem to forget that.

#23 ·
One thing, the name isn't BUB!! And yes you have bashed the high fence hunting on here, admit it or not.

Like I said, I have nothing against hunting or shooting as long as it is legal and I never will bash anyone for doing it, as YOU have done on here.

I wish all protests on any legal hunting/shooting ALWAYS get shot down. I do not want to see any hunting /shooting shut down just because I don't agree with it or would never do it.

That is all I have to say on this post.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.