The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Have you noticed this?

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  tdd 
#1 ·
I find it extremely peculiar that people, in general, speak very lazily by dropping the "G" sound from verbs (like huntin' and fishin') but go out of their way to insert a "G" in the spelling of, and pronounce an obvious "G" sound in the enunciation of, the HUMMINBIRD brand of fish finder. There is no "G" in Humminbird. Strange eh?

#3 ·
If you are from, or live in western PA, it's considered correct to not use the "G" in pronunciation - ever.
Also, women over 40 in this area are required to call everyone "Hon", short for "Honey".....

I noticed that my adult children, now in their 30's, and their friends as well, do not pronounce the "T" when it is in the middle of a word.

As for me, I am sticking with using the "F" word as a way to express my anger, fear, frustration, happiness, hunger, political views, weather predictions, taxes and inability to shoot a 1911 accurately as I learned is proper in the Marine Corps.

Semper frigging Fi.

#9 ·
Kills me when a "G" person says the word "singin" with a hard "G" in the first syllable but totally drops the "g" out of the second. Sounds more like they were saying "sinkin"

25 yrs ago, folks in the media were all over the place pronouncing Newt "Gin-Grich" as opposed to Ging-rich as the name was pronounced in Central PA. (Where IIRC, he was born)

a similar thing occurs with the name "Dougherty" In central PA it is pronounced "Dock-erty" but in Baltimore it is pronounced "Dow-erty"

#16 ·
All the above notwithstanding, there is still no "G" in the company name, "Humminbird. Putting an extra sound into a word that is not supported by the spelling of the word can't be explained away as laziness or colloquial speech when the effect of popular laziness is to not pronounce all the sounds indicated by the spelling. That is what's so peculiar in this situation. Do people feel guilty about not pronouncing the "g" in all the words ending in "ing" so make special effort to pronounce a "g" in Humminbird to compensate? Beats me.

Ha ha, I certainly never expected Dusty Springfield to come up in this discussion.

#17 ·
I guess I have been a hobby linguistics fan all my life. There was a time, I could tell what county in SE Pa a person was from by the way they spoke and phrases used. Adding a hard "G" to a word with the ng ending always caused me to wonder. I went to grad school with a bunch of folks from the NYC area. (And they thought I had a funny accent) LonG Island, Cough-ee, sinGinG Down in Northern VA, in response to a statement like it isn't nice out today, some will disagree by saying "Yeah-huh!"

I do like some of the archaic contractions that Americans infrequently use, like shan't or daresn't.

And some folks go home to "fix" dinner. Then I ask who broke it?

#20 ·
Is this where I can vent my frustration at people saying they are going "sale" something?

"I am going to sale this Ford Pinto for $500"

It's like nails on a chalk board. My skin crawls like when you pet a dog's fur the wrong way.

I don't get it. I just..... I..... ahhhhhhh!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.