Kettle Creek and Lake Wilhelm - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Kettle Creek and Lake Wilhelm

I'm thinking of taking my canoe and camping at or near Wilhelm or maybe Kettle Creek State Park.I haven't been to either in a few years. Anyone been there recently and have a fishing report? Or suggestions for NW or north central PA?
Much obliged!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:42 AM

Try googling... Tackle Shack... a NC Pa shop.... might be able to give you a report.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 09:55 AM

you might want call the Kettle Creek tackle shop ,they might be able to help . sorry dnt have the phone number though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:27 AM
The Man

I'm not familiar with Lake Wilhelm.

But Kettle Creek Lake is a beautiful lake in a beautiful location.

And there is state park camping very close to it.

I drove by there near dusk on Labor Day, after the crowds were gone, and it was so quiet and peaceful there.

There was just one boat out on the lake, with 2 guys fishing.

I've heard that it's good for panfish. It's also stocked with trout, but I don't know how many survive the summer. There are smallmouth bass in Kettle Creek above the lake, so they may be in the lake also.

Elk are often seen in the flat floodplain areas above the lake.

In September it's quiet in that area. The summer crowds have thinned out because school has started. And hunting seasons haven't started yet.

From the lake, it's a short drive up to a scenic overlook over the lake and the valley. It's a great view, and it's very enjoyable to sit up there and eat your lunch.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice. I haven't been to KC for many moons, when my boys were young, and it is a beautiful lake. Same for LW, I'll probably go to KC because LW is usually windy and there aren't many places to get out of the wind. Wind and canoe fishing don't go together well.
Ill let ya'll know how it works out, thanks again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Just got back from Kettle Creek State Park

I finally made it to Kettle Creek State Park. I was waiting for a break in the rainy weather because I would be camping. I drove up last Friday and set up camp. I was in the upper loop campground, very nice view of the lake. Cold night, 34 degrees!
I was on the water by 0930 Saturday and started fishing in the upper part of the lake in the weeds and in the channel where Kettle Creek comes in. I fooled around with my fly rod for a while with no success and switched to baby night crawlers ( looked like small night crawlers to me) and my spinning rig while moving up the channel. Got into a bunch of 6-8" perch. My plan was to work the steep shore on the side of the lake opposite the beach and the road down to the dam. Unfortunately the wind picked up and I guess it was 15-20 mph with gust even higher. there were small white caps on the lake! No fun in a canoe and if I stopped paddling I was blown up stream and at time it took a heck of a lot of effort to just stay stationary! I called it a day, and the winds kept up even into the late evening so I didn't go out again.
I guess you could say except for a handful of perch fishing was a bust. It began raining on Sunday so I packed up and headed home. This isn't much of a fishing report due to limited time on the lake but it is a beautiful lake with nice campground
facilities and I'll be back next summer.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:24 PM

sounds like an informative trip and a good time. good luck next summer and let us know how you make out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in