3Likes
  • 1 Post By willyp
  • 1 Post By Flintnocker
  • 1 Post By willyp

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Tanning Hides

Anyone have a recommendation on hide tanning formulas? Any tips, I am all ears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:47 PM
Part of the Community

Camtraker, My 10 year old Grandson and I have been braintanning deer hides and furs together for three years now. He has progressed at a rate art which he learned everything which took me since I was 12 until..three years when he started teaching me. Between us we have the process down to where we actually start the tanning process before we roll 'em and freeze'em. We use predominantly stone age tools, and the end result is clothing, and he's darn knowledeable about that as well. Our process is clean, safe, and uses materials you most likely have at home right now. Most furs and hides are ready for the smoking process in less than four short process phases and the finished product movers like it is still alive. Darn proud of that young man. You ought hear him call ducks..or deer..or....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:13 AM

With CWD on the rise I don't think I would be Brain Tanning anything !
Tanning supplies are not that costly as to the risk you are taking with the young fellow !
Flintnocker likes this.

WILLY P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:04 AM
Part of the Community

Willy, we do not use Brains, other than the thorough application of the one between our ears. We use a homade solution consisting of SOAP. If you know the basic chemistry of the process we use..it makes perfect sense...and the worst case scenario is the cleanest hands you have ever had Keep me posted. I am watching. And...most of the hides and furs we do are mostly 'tanned' before they are off the skinning table, and we peel off the rubber gloves and scrub up. I do NOT take anything with Chance! Rest assured.
ed
willyp likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:06 AM
Part of the Community

Watch for the Book, or come here and learn for yourself.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:43 AM

Hey Flintnocker !
I don't live far from you buddy. I live in Watsontown !
What Book ?
camtraker likes this.

WILLY P

Last edited by willyp; 03-23-2019 at 11:46 AM. Reason: sp
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:49 PM
Part of the Community

My Grandson and I have kept extensive notes on every project we have worked on together. I am currently waiting response from Muzzleblast magazine on a whole series of different topic articles related to Colonial Period processes for utilization of naturally found materials to replicate their results, including the Native Peoples here. The whole concept of furs and hides end use for clothing sits in a large box just behind, way too large for even a series of articles, and a complete re-write of most contemporary really, really Great books on the subject readily available. A lot of this is presently tied up in my agreement with the NMLRA. However, there is absolutely no restriction of my rights and privileges as Lost Arts Trade Company, LLC to continue teaching our seminars. The seminars are always a lot of fun. We are attempting to set one up for sometime AFTER Spring Gobbler season. Quite a few furs and deeskins are 'locked' in stasis and ready to go for a hands on experience. We would be honored to have you be the first to register. If you trap,or hunt, or can attend a fur auction like the one held in the Hillsgrove area coming up soon..you can easily arrange to purchase a few of what you would want, and I will supply you all the info you need to have them ready to go for the seminar. The cost of the seminar at least until we are back on our feet and running will be just enough to cover our costs. We are more interested in gaining qualified co-instructors and paying the experience forward to our young folks than any concept of 'profit'. Very plain, very simple everybody wins. If you live in Watsontown you are less than 45 minutes away from our doors. The doors are always open here.
[email protected] If the red chevy pickup is here chances are I am also. Have a great afternoon. Thanks fer yer ear!
ed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in