What kind of sets for fisher? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
The Man

What kind of sets for fisher?

I have gotten out of trapping the past few years, but am going to do it again this coming season. I've gotten bobcat before but have never trapped for fisher. I have a spot up at my camp that is loaded with sign and I have the first 6 days of the bobcat/fisher trapping season off. I was wondering what kind of sets some of you guys who are catching fisher are putting out. I appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 01:41 PM

I get them in dirt hole sets. Loud bait and skunky call lure.I find Cavenís Gusto lure to be very effective...so effective that I quit using it when fishers arenít in season. I catch them mainly on the ridge tops on logging roads ....oak, grapevines, and a few in the pines of grown up strip cuts.

I caught one this year in a 160 box set for coon. Fortunately it was fisher season. Iím not a big fan of cubby boxes for fisher...thereís no releasing females and thereís the requirement of being set in a water course. I dont see much sign of them down low near water.

If I was setting just for fisher Iíd lighten up the tension on the trap pan. They donít put their weight down on there front feet like a canine does when it works a set. Iím deducing this from the tracks Iíve seen in the snow where they worked at a canine set with no catch...trap fired ok when I checked it. I think they spend time on their back haunches, like a gray squirrel does when moving through the woods.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page