PGC Board of Commissioners Meeting Testimony - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

PGC Board of Commissioners Meeting Testimony

PGC Board of Commissioners Meeting

Testimony
April 8, 2019

President Layton, Commissioners, Executive Director Burhans, Deputy Executive Director Grohol, and
Palmer, Staff, & guests:

My name is Harold Daub, Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen and
Conservationists. Today is my first official day on the job for this eighty-seven-year-old organization. I am
extremely honored and happy to be providing my organization’s input on important Pennsylvania Game
Commission issues as my first act as Executive Director. Historically, this agency and our organization have
worked very closely on wildlife management issues and sportsmen’s interests, and I look forward to further
cultivating and strengthening our relationship. I will remind everyone that one of our original five founders
was Ross L. Leffler, a name very familiar and dear to this agency and this campus. Mr. Leffler served as the
first chairman of PFSC.

PFSC’s membership is made up of affiliated clubs, individual members, and statewide organizations with
like-minded goals and interests in conservation efforts.

I want to remind everyone of the PFSC mission: To protect and conserve Pennsylvania’s natural resources,
outdoor heritage, and Second Amendment Rights. From the very beginning, this organization was
concerned with conservation issues in Pennsylvania. PFSC was the driving force behind the passage of
Pennsylvania’s Clean Streams Act in 1937 helping bring our waterways and streams to the point they are
today.

Today's dominant topic is, of course, the proposed Saturday opener. Our Delegates, Board of Directors, and
Executive Staff met just two weekends ago and the voting results did not support this proposed change to
the current deer season schedule. Concerns included tradition, and the impact it will have on hunter’s
schedules due to the deer season opening just two days after the Thanksgiving holiday.

A topic that is also of extreme importance to all Pennsylvanians is the threat of Chronic Wasting Disease. We
support and will be working to see additional funding provided to fight this terrible disease. PFSC recently
met with representatives of the Governor’s office and Senate Appropriations Committee requesting more
funding for both the Department of Agriculture and Pa. Game Commission. We will also seek federal
resources since this is a national issue.

While on the topic of finances, PFSC strongly supports and is requesting legislation be introduced to allow
the PGC to set Pennsylvania hunting license fees.

The PFSC is alive, healthy, and growing. I encourage everyone in this room to join PFSC. We are on the
front lines in Harrisburg, so you can be in the woods, on the water, and at the range.

Sincerely,

Harold Daub

Executive Director
PFSC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:51 PM
New Arrival

While I appreciate the professionalism, positive historical impacts to conservation, and desire to not throw traditions to the wayside. I have to say that I disagree and do personally support moving the opening day to Saturday.

As a parent, business owner, land owner, hunter, and employer of others who represent various generations - I see a strong positive need for Saturday opening day to create opportunity and excitement.
Opportunity for parents, business owners, employers, land owners on a day that they otherwise wouldn't easily have available (Monday opener). Excitement for new hunters and new generations that are building their careers, which also often does not allow for time off on the Monday opener.

Mr Daub, if you support Sunday Hunting, which I know you do, I would think the mental comparison to a Saturday opener and its many parallels to Sunday Hunting are evident. As a single vote, you may support a Saturday opener, but do not have the majority's ear. Who knows.
My surprise, I think, is that this does not strike me as a "...protect and conserve Pennsylvania’s natural resources, outdoor heritage, and Second Amendment Rights" category. A Saturday opener would not harm natural resources, outdoor heritage, or our second amendment rights.

Please let me know your thoughts.

-Brett
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:46 PM

I seem to remember hearing that PFSC clubs were taking votes to see if each club supported the change. I’m sure if they did that, the results were reported to the PFSC. It’s one more piece of evidence that points toward hunters in pa not wanting the Saturday opener. I’m sure it will be contested by those who do. If I remember correctly commissioner Daley holds the PFSC is somewhat high regard so it will be interesting to see if that sways his vote at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:22 PM
New Arrival

During the March meetings last month, they asked the anecdotal opinion of their researcher/consultant as to whether a Saturday opener would impact license sales, and in particular younger or returning hunters. The researcher/consultant said he had no metrics to say for certain, but his opinion was that it would not be significant enough of an impact. I find opinions without data, like that, to be only as valid as anyone else's opinion. I would be disappointed to find the PGC weigh that opinion too heavily.

Another approach to the issue would be that it is common knowledge that more people have off work on a Saturday than on a Monday. The "weekend" effect. So, by changing to a Saturday opener, it would lower the barrier to new, younger, returning hunters. I don't see an argument that could be made against that. But I am open to others thoughts.

While I respect the strong traditions that can exist and their place in our history, a goal of the PGC is to increase license sales to allow increased conservation and management. So, at the root of it, based on my previous statements, a Saturday opener would have the higher likelihood of increasing license sales, rather than just leaving things as is (Monday). I would be shocked if a more significant quantity of hunters stop buying licenses just because the tradition has changed to Saturday.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisherking View Post
During the March meetings last month, they asked the anecdotal opinion of their researcher/consultant as to whether a Saturday opener would impact license sales, and in particular younger or returning hunters. The researcher/consultant said he had no metrics to say for certain, but his opinion was that it would not be significant enough of an impact. I find opinions without data, like that, to be only as valid as anyone else's opinion. I would be disappointed to find the PGC weigh that opinion too heavily.

Another approach to the issue would be that it is common knowledge that more people have off work on a Saturday than on a Monday. The "weekend" effect. So, by changing to a Saturday opener, it would lower the barrier to new, younger, returning hunters. I don't see an argument that could be made against that. But I am open to others thoughts.

While I respect the strong traditions that can exist and their place in our history, a goal of the PGC is to increase license sales to allow increased conservation and management. So, at the root of it, based on my previous statements, a Saturday opener would have the higher likelihood of increasing license sales, rather than just leaving things as is (Monday). I would be shocked if a more significant quantity of hunters stop buying licenses just because the tradition has changed to Saturday.
in your opinion who would these new license buyers be?
blackpowder likes this.

Last edited by Cscott1; 04-08-2019 at 03:18 PM.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:16 PM
Sage

They would be no name imaginary people!

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
They would be no name imaginary people!
I don’t disagree with you, I would just like someone who believes it will increase sales to tell me who will be the “new” hunters.
blackpowder likes this.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have two nephews that my sister has stated if it started on Saturday and had Sundays available last year they would have bought licenses. These would not be 'new' hunters as both have hunted up until college. I guess if push came to shove and I had to lean a direction I guess I'd be 51/49 in favor of Saturday so they could have been with me at least a few days.

Not sure if either will continue hunting after college or will drift away. Time will tell. I do know that if they are hunting they aren't drifting away so maybe that would slow the decline of license sales.
dragman likes this.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:13 PM

Both my college age boys haven't bought licenses since they became adults as they are back at school for the opener. 100% they buy there licenses if they could start Saturday!
SRA-5C+ likes this.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonfoust View Post
I have two nephews that my sister has stated if it started on Saturday and had Sundays available last year they would have bought licenses. These would not be 'new' hunters as both have hunted up until college. I guess if push came to shove and I had to lean a direction I guess I'd be 51/49 in favor of Saturday so they could have been with me at least a few days.

Not sure if either will continue hunting after college or will drift away. Time will tell. I do know that if they are hunting they aren't drifting away so maybe that would slow the decline of license sales.
so they only have interest in deer hunting?

What is wrong with the other 2 Saturday’s? Or the 6 in archers or 3 in muzzleloader?

Adding Sunday’s changes the conversation quite a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page