PGC Board of Commissioners Meeting Testimony - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragman View Post
Both my college age boys haven't bought licenses since they became adults as they are back at school for the opener. 100% they buy there licenses if they could start Saturday!
I’ll ask you the same questions I asked in the post above plus one more. If you’re 100% sure they would buy a license if it started on Saturday how sure are you that they will buy a license after college?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
so they only have interest in deer hunting?

What is wrong with the other 2 Saturday’s? Or the 6 in archers or 3 in muzzleloader?

Adding Sunday’s changes the conversation quite a bit.

Yes for one of them. The other not sure. I know he has hunted quite a few species but there are girls in college and to come home every weekend for one day I guess is too much. Doesn't archery hunt and I've had him out ML a few times but not really his thing either. We'll see where he ends up after college. As of now it seems to be too much to spend for a couple days which they/he is not even sure he'll use it. Never know when teh party of the year is going to show up on a day that you planned on going home to go hunting

And yes, adding Sundays changes it quite a bit.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
I’ll ask you the same questions I asked in the post above plus one more. If you’re 100% sure they would buy a license if it started on Saturday how sure are you that they will buy a license after college?
They have fell away from archery just simply over time, But yes I know they would do it for just that day. And yes sunday would help that even more. I believe they would by a license after honestly. But that can't be the end all or they should throw out the opinion of all senior license holders since they don't contribute anymore. lol

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisherking View Post
While I appreciate the professionalism, positive historical impacts to conservation, and desire to not throw traditions to the wayside. I have to say that I disagree and do personally support moving the opening day to Saturday.

As a parent, business owner, land owner, hunter, and employer of others who represent various generations - I see a strong positive need for Saturday opening day to create opportunity and excitement.
Opportunity for parents, business owners, employers, land owners on a day that they otherwise wouldn't easily have available (Monday opener). Excitement for new hunters and new generations that are building their careers, which also often does not allow for time off on the Monday opener.

Mr Daub, if you support Sunday Hunting, which I know you do, I would think the mental comparison to a Saturday opener and its many parallels to Sunday Hunting are evident. As a single vote, you may support a Saturday opener, but do not have the majority's ear. Who knows.
My surprise, I think, is that this does not strike me as a "...protect and conserve Pennsylvania’s natural resources, outdoor heritage, and Second Amendment Rights" category. A Saturday opener would not harm natural resources, outdoor heritage, or our second amendment rights.

Please let me know your thoughts.

-Brett
I don't think Harold is a member of this board. At the meeting Harold is speaking on behalf of the PFSC and not his own personal opinion. He is the new executive director of the PFSC.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:18 PM

It always seems the college students are the example people try to bring up. As I see it at best it benefits them only while they’re in school. After they graduate whether or not they missed 2 to 4 openers doesn’t make them any more or less likely to buy a license after school. We always hear the lapse hunter survey suggest that missing a few years of hunting makes you more likely to quit but that survey has no way of predicting how likely those people were to quit anyway. I’ve said before I’ve missed many openers even some complete deer seasons and went a few years without even buying a license but I still hunt and now my son hunts. Every year I wasn’t out there hunting, every season I missed just nag got me. If you want to hunt you will if something else becomes more important in your life the hunt Will take a backseat to that.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Both my college age boys haven't bought licenses since they became adults as they are back at school for the opener. 100% they buy there licenses if they could start Saturday!
If they are not buying licenses now, they won't if the season starts on a saturday. Why aren't you buying licenses for your sons if you want them to hunt? My kid brother went to college, he hunted small game and deer every season while in school, it is not that they can't it is they have other things they would rather do and are being used to further the adults agenda.
blackpowder likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 04-08-2019 at 05:32 PM.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:28 PM
Sage

The Saturday opener bunch can rationalize from now till the next millennium and it will all be weak if not bogus!
Bigbrownie and Dukehunter3 like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Quote:
If they are not buying licenses now, they won't if the season starts on a saturday. Why aren't you buying licenses for your sons if you want them to hunt? My kid brother went to college, he hunted small game and deer every season while in school, it is not that they can't it is they have other things they would rather do and are being used to further the adults agenda.
They basically only deer hunt. I guess hunters who don't hunt everything dont count?? I offer to buy then but they both said no reason since they leave Sunday night after Thanksgiving to go back to school. Both these boys have has licences since the FIRST chance they could. And at least one will return to hunting.
You brother and you insinuating they could if they want mean nothing to me. This isn't about all the other seasons it's about changing the first day of deer. If you hunt deer that matters.

To Crush your enemys, See them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of there women.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:40 PM
Sage

That makes us even, your rationalization nonsense means nothing to me. Don't whiz on my leg and try to tell me it is raining. I know -- when I see it.

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:43 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
I am glad to see the additional funding for combating CWD. Good decision on the Sat. opener. I never had any doubt that the change would not be made.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page