best target arrow? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

best target arrow?

I'm now getting into target shooting pretty heavy and looking to start competition shooting. I just bought a new bow and here are the specs. Elite energy 32. 29.5" draw. 70 lbs. What do you believe is the best target arrow and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: best target arrow?

I shoot Easton X7 2613 Eclipses. I recommand the 2613 or 2712 for the big diameter. This will gain you perhaps 10 points or so. I fletch mine in a 4 inch right helical feathers. I shoot target with my hunting set-up Elite Pure set at 54 pound pull and start with full length arrows and 180 grain points. I also have 10 grain washers I can add also. If you plan on shooting 70 pounds you will not have any trouble getting them to shoot, for lower pound bows you need to add weight to loosen the arrow spine.

The older I get the better I was.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 12:01 PM

When I shot indoors in the 90s most of the pros shot "line cutters". Back then the were 2413 and 2512.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When you say "target shooting" are you referring to 20 yd. Vegas or 5 spot, or are you talking 3D, or are you talking Field Archery? BIG difference as to which arrows for which application.

Here are some possibilities:

Indoor dots- either 5 spot or Vegas...turn you bow down to 60 lbs. You can use either Easton X7 2613 or 2712- put a 250-300 gr. tip, shoot them at full length, with 4" or 5" feathers. OR go with Easton Full Bore, cut to 29" with a 150 grain tip, or Gold tip XXX with the same length and tip. I'd still use 4-5" feathers. Helix direction is up to you. You need the heavy tip to try to break down the spine of the thick shaft arrow a little. You can't completely, but for 20 yards it won't matter if you are overspined. You need the bigger feathers to quickly correct the arrow flight. My indoor arrows weigh over 700 gr. and I shoot X7 2612 with 300 gr. tip and 5" feathers.

3D arrows- depends on what classification you are shooting, but I prefer Easton Fatboy's (you would probably get away with 400 if you turn your bow down to 62 lbs, but if you keep it near 70, you need 340's) 100 gr tips, blazer vanes. You can also go with Gold tip 22 series with 100 grain tips.

Field Archery- you can either go with the same as the 3D setup, or something in the Lightspeed, or ACC if you have big bucks. Most field archers shoot the extremely small shafts due to wind and outdoor shot condition.

Hope this gives you some direction.

Wishing I was at camp!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page